Alien: Covenant Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 22, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Novelization (Read 48,242 times)

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2016, 07:17:41 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 26, 2016, 02:50:56 PM
Do you guys prefer to read the novel or watch the movie first?

I'd have to say I'd read the novelization first. One because I'm a sucker for spoilers and two because of the website. lol

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Sep 27, 2016, 01:13:57 AM
Question remains, does this mean that Alien Covenant has a script/story of quality that has impressed Alan Dean Foster enough to want to adapt it for a novelization, or could we just assume its solely for a pay check, wishful thinking I strongly hope its because he's seen something of value. 

I think his experience working on 3 will have coloured his opinion somewhat. And whilst I do love Alien 3 despite its flaws, Resurrection is less of a mess of a film.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to chat to him properly about the novel after the film and find out a bit more backstory about his involvement.

Also, just noticed this comment on ADF's website:

QuoteI'm currently writing the novelization, plus some unique original material, for ALIEN:COVENANT. An unusual approach that's never been tried before in a novelization. Look for it, along with the film, next year.

Wonder what this could mean?
Does it mean he's maybe writing some original backstory for some characters for the novelisation?

Or does it mean he's writing some material to be filmed as a viral/accompanying movie for the film?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Sep 27, 2016, 01:13:57 AM
@ japes01

One the one hand most will say that Alien 3 despite its flaws hold well for a bleak artistic style in the vein of "Rildey Scott's Alien Haunted House in space Horror" in terms of artistic integrity Alien 3 has garnered some respect.

Whereas some others, a fair minority prefer Alien Resurrection's attempt to retread the "James Cameron Action-esque Roller Coaster, Pop Corn Entertainment angle" for this reason despite its many problems some may find more fun with Resurrection. Also he probably had more hate for Alien 3 for killing off Hicks, Newt, Bishop and Ripley at the end. :P

Question remains, does this mean that Alien Covenant has a script/story of quality that has impressed Alan Dean Foster enough to want to adapt it for a novelization, or could we just assume its solely for a pay check, wishful thinking I strongly hope its because he's seen something of value.

Aliens and Alien Resurrection are vastly different movies despite being action packed marine oriented stories.  Aliens is built around a framework which invests the viewer's emotions (exactly like Jurrasic Park) by having us experience the thrill ride while caring for a little child in the face of monsters, while all of this is missing in AR.  It is back to an ice cold reality.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 27, 2016, 11:02:56 AM
Does it mean he's maybe writing some original backstory for some characters for the novelisation?

Or does it mean he's writing some material to be filmed as a viral/accompanying movie for the film?

I've no idea. I'll ask him what he means. Obviously he wont be able to say much, if any, though.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Probably a prequel novel about what happened to David and Shaw between the movies, as well as some other world-building stuff.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

ADF's novelization for 'The Chronicles of Riddick' had a really cool "world building" appendix at the back of the book that detailed the culture and history of the Necromongers. I don't know how much of it was created from whole cloth by ADF and how much was from David Twohy's notes, but it was still cool all the same.

Perfect-Organism

Did somebody say there was an AVP:R novelization?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 29, 2016, 06:50:36 AM
Did somebody say there was an AVP:R novelization?

Nope. There was an AvP novelization but never an AvPR one.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

This is very exciting news!

Maybe they'll finally publish the Prometheus book in English as well?

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 27, 2016, 11:02:56 AMDoes it mean he's maybe writing some original backstory for some characters for the novelisation?

These are the two possibilities that occurred to me.

Seegson Executive

Seegson Executive

Yep. Because that movie was pretty bad. Xenomorphs and Predators stalking teenagers in a high school? Really? LOL

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 29, 2016, 09:26:25 AM
This is very exciting news!

Maybe they'll finally publish the Prometheus book in English as well?

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 27, 2016, 11:02:56 AMDoes it mean he's maybe writing some original backstory for some characters for the novelisation?

These are the two possibilities that occurred to me.
By the way, who wrote the Prometheus Novel and why wasn't it released in the US and/or UK?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've always seen it credited to a guy called Joe Spies and Damon Lindelof, but just recently someone told me that "Joe Spies" is actually a mistranslation of Jon Spaihts, in which case those credits probably refer to the people who write the original script, not the novel.

In other words, I'm not sure :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 01, 2016, 04:57:22 PM
I've always seen it credited to a guy called Joe Spies and Damon Lindelof, but just recently someone told me that "Joe Spies" is actually a mistranslation of Jon Spaihts, in which case those credits probably refer to the people who write the original script, not the novel.

In other words, I'm not sure :)

:laugh: Got to love the Japanese!

All your Engrish are belong to us!

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Sounds like it could be not so much a novelization but simply the script translated into japanese 😎

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Possibly, but there was a site out there somewhere that listed what was different/added compared to the film, and that made it sound very much like it was a novel.

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 08, 2016, 10:11:28 AM
Possibly, but there was a site out there somewhere that listed what was different/added compared to the film, and that made it sound very much like it was a novel.
Found it. Interesting differences.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_(novel)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed