EXCLUSIVE: Prometheus finishes shooting at Pinewood

Started by Darkoo, Aug 08, 2011, 05:18:41 PM

Author
EXCLUSIVE: Prometheus finishes shooting at Pinewood (Read 28,510 times)

m138jewski

m138jewski

awesome to see other people as enthused about this as I am. literally checking for updates on this site and alien prequel news multiple times a day. been waiting for this movie forever

josh_axey

Quote from: m138jewski on Aug 09, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
awesome to see other people as enthused about this as I am. literally checking for updates on this site and alien prequel news multiple times a day. been waiting for this movie forever

Haven't we all :laugh:

It's gonna be a long few months.

I am so happy that Ridley is so headstrong about using practical props.
When I see films with such heavy CGI, it just makes me want to see this come together that much more.

There is nothing like a well made prop and great film work when it comes to creating a scene or character. It's like comparing chalk to cheese.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: josh_axey on Aug 09, 2011, 12:42:54 AM

Haven't we all :laugh:

It's gonna be a long few months.

I am so happy that Ridley is so headstrong about using practical props.
When I see films with such heavy CGI, it just makes me want to see this come together that much more.

There is nothing like a well made prop and great film work when it comes to creating a scene or character. It's like comparing chalk to cheese.

That may be so, but it's pretty clear there's still going to be lot of CGI in Prometheus. And that's fine by me, since the problem isn't the medium anyhow, it's the people behind it who sometimes just aren't good enough. For a long time I.L.M lead the way in how to do it right, and that was rather worrying considering CGI is so widely used to do things otherwise impossible in all honestly BADLY.  That was until W.E.T.A. came along, and if any CGI in Prometheus is done to the standard seen in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I for one willl be more than happy.

Highland

QuoteThe name Magellan. Definately interesting. Prometheus goes after Magellan theory aside... maybe a two ship mission? May also explain the scene we've seen with drawn guns and yelling.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a scout/drop ship. You'd have to imagine that the initial ship would be too big to land on an unknown Planet.

josh_axey

josh_axey

Quote from: RoaryUK on Aug 09, 2011, 02:21:33 AM
Quote from: josh_axey on Aug 09, 2011, 12:42:54 AM

That may be so, but it's pretty clear there's still going to be lot of CGI in Prometheus. And that's fine by me, since the problem isn't the medium anyhow, it's the people behind it who sometimes just aren't good enough. For a long time I.L.M lead the way in how to do it right, and that was rather worrying considering CGI is so widely used to do things otherwise impossible in all honestly BADLY.  That was until W.E.T.A. came along, and if any CGI in Prometheus is done to the standard seen in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I for one willl be more than happy.

Well yeah, that is a good point. I'm just hoping they're using it where it's appropriate... so far it looks that way, which is great.
I am also looking forward to seeing how the CGI is handled in RotPotA... the adverts and trailers look amazingly well done.

As long as he keeps big props and the like as real practical props, I will be so excited.
I don't want to reference any particular movies, but I'm sure we can all think of a few new movies that have come out with a large piece of a scenes set, or large prop that has been completely CGI that would have looked so much more realistic as a scale prop... (*cough* scenes with the Valkyrie in Captain America *shies away for using it as an example*).

Quote from: Highland on Aug 09, 2011, 02:23:04 AM
QuoteThe name Magellan. Definately interesting. Prometheus goes after Magellan theory aside... maybe a two ship mission? May also explain the scene we've seen with drawn guns and yelling.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a scout/drop ship. You'd have to imagine that the initial ship would be too big to land on an unknown Planet.

Thats a good point, like the Narcissus.
If thats so, once again wondering about the restricted access door. :o

m138jewski

m138jewski

The thing that excites me the most about Prometheus is Ridley's calm and air of confidence about it. As if he knows he's about to pwn every other sorry attempt at horror in the last 20 years. And yeah of course there will be cg but Ridley will certainly adhere to his philosophy of "if you can film it real, film it real".

N7

Quote from: Infected on Aug 08, 2011, 07:59:36 PM
Maybe Scott made us crazy by saying the ship is called Prometheus and so on making us on a false track to follow.
Or maybe Magellan is the name of the first ship that went in and Prometheus will go after i mean you just cant send a ship in to space and nothing they must have a reason and Magellan may be the reason...

"Infected" may be right. I found the following on Wikipedia:

"Magellan's expedition of 1519–1522 became the first expedition to sail from the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific Ocean and the first to cross the Pacific. It also completed the first circumnavigation of the Earth..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan

My guess is that Magellan is the first ship to be sent to make the first contact with something, and for some reason it's unable to return to earth, however during the voyage/expedition, certain info does make it back to earth, hence Prometheus is subsequently commissioned to "Do Something" (investigating or acquiring something or stealing the technology)...lol

And, if I recall the Alien novel correctly, the so called transmitter that makes the 12-second interval signal doesn't seem to belong to the Derelict ship...Later, Ash also tells another crew member of the Nostromo that the "Distress signal" was actually very specific, and almost hostile in nature...emmmmmm I think it kinda ties in to Prometheus story line...

Anyway, this is my first post to the forum...Meanwhile,  I hate Ridley S for keeping such a major production in "secret" and at the same time thanking him for such a "secret"...

Highland

A ship going after a ship sounds a bit too Event Horizon for me.

I'm now thinking Prometheus might be the Alien ship.

Snowdog

Quote from: m138jewski on Aug 09, 2011, 03:15:53 AM
The thing that excites me the most about Prometheus is Ridley's calm and air of confidence about it. As if he knows he's about to pwn every other sorry attempt at horror in the last 20 years. And yeah of course there will be cg but Ridley will certainly adhere to his philosophy of "if you can film it real, film it real".

Agree 100% with you. Ridley seems really confident in this project. I trust the guy so i know this movie is going to be epic. Afraid this will be 1 of those movies i will see a couple of times in cinema  ::)

josh_axey

Quote from: Highland on Aug 09, 2011, 08:35:21 AM
A ship going after a ship sounds a bit too Event Horizon for me.

I'm now thinking Prometheus might be the Alien ship.

I want to agree... but "Scott also confirmed that the film's title is the name of a space ship sent from earth by an all-powerful corporation".

I'm kinda hoping it's not one ship sent after another. Hoping it's a Nostromo/Narcissus type dealio.

Other things to consider:

• Two ship mission.

• Scene shot in another ship separate to the immediate events on the Prometheus (company talking, something something).

• Original ship name in script at time of prop development.

• Reference of some kind to Ferdinand Magellan.
    Ferdinand Magellan (Portuguese: Fernão de Magalhães, IPA: [fɨɾˈnɐ̃w ðɨ mɐɣɐˈʎɐ̃jʃ]; Spanish: Fernando de Magallanes, IPA: [ferˈnando ðe maɣaˈʎanes]; c. 1480 – April 27, 1521) was a Portuguese explorer. He was born in Sabrosa, in northern Portugal, and served King Charles I of Spain in search of a westward route to the "Spice Islands" (modern Maluku Islands in Indonesia).

Magellan's expedition of 1519–1522 became the first expedition to sail from the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific Ocean (then named "peaceful sea" by Magellan; the passage being made via the Strait of Magellan), and the first to cross the Pacific. It also completed the first circumnavigation of the Earth, although Magellan himself did not complete the entire voyage, being killed during the Battle of Mactan in the Philippines.

Magellan also gives his name to the Magellanic Penguin, which he was the first European to note,[1] and the Magellanic clouds, now known to be nearby dwarf galaxies.

• Reference to the Magellan Spacecraft.
    The Magellan spacecraft, also referred to as the Venus Radar Mapper, was a 1,035-kilogram robotic space probe launched by NASA on May 4, 1989, to map the surface of Venus using Synthetic Aperture Radar and measure the planetary gravity. It was the first interplanetary mission to be launched from the Space Shuttle, the first to use an inertial upper stage booster and was the first spacecraft to test aerobraking as a method for circularizing an orbit. Magellan was the fourth successful, NASA funded mission to Venus and ended an eleven year U.S. interplanetary exploration hiatus.

On October 13, 1994 at 10:05:00 UTC, communication was lost when the spacecraft entered radio occultation behind Venus. The team continued to listen for another signal from the spacecraft until 18:00:00 UTC, when the mission was determined to have concluded. Although much of Magellan was expected to vaporize due to atmospheric stresses, some amount of wreckage is thought have hit the surface by 20:00:00 UTC

• Reference to the Small and Large Magellanic Cloud.
    The Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) is a nearby irregular galaxy, and is a satellite of the Milky Way.[6] At a distance of slightly less than 50 kiloparsecs (≈160,000 light-years),[2][3][4] the LMC is the third closest galaxy to the Milky Way.

The Small Magellanic Cloud (SMC) is a dwarf galaxy.[3] It has a diameter of about 7,000 light-years[4] and contains several hundred million stars.[5] It has a total mass of approximately 7 billion times the mass of our Sun.[6]
    At a distance of about 200,000 light-years, it is one of the Milky Way's nearest neighbors. It is also one of the most distant objects that can be seen with the naked eye.

The two are also relatively popular settings in fiction.

• Some plot reference to Magellan Aerospace (maybe they have something to do with the manufacture of spacecraft for the company?).
    Magellan Aerospace Corporation (TSX: MAL) is a Canadian manufacturer of aerospace systems and components. Magellan also repairs and overhauls, tests, and provides aftermarket support services for engines, and engine structural components. The company's business units are divided into the product areas of aeroengines, aerostructures, rockets and space, and specialty products. Its corporate offices in Mississauga, Ontario, Magellan operates in facilities throughout Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom.

Semaka

Semaka

I like the fact that they kept the continuity of the alphabetical names for the androids:

Ash
Bishop
Call

and now

David

This is another proof that it is related to the other "Alien" movies and I am sure by the time of the release, they will change the title for the movie, because this isn't the first time they do that to movies just to keep them a secret.

I'd like the idea that Magellan being the first ship that came in contact with the "aliens" and that Prometheus will go on a salvage mission, even if it like Event Horizon ... but after that, I don't want them to be affected like the people on the Event Horizon, I really want them to be turned into the cocoons from the first movie, I really want to see how a human turned into an alien looks like.

ThisBethesdaSea

Names in alphabetical order means proof? ah....no...it's not proof at all. Proof of relation to the larger alien series comes by way of the plot unfolding in the same universe  encountering similar creatures/ships...not alphabetized names.

Semaka

Semaka

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Aug 09, 2011, 05:24:40 PM
Names in alphabetical order means proof? ah....no...it's not proof at all. Proof of relation to the larger alien series comes by way of the plot unfolding in the same universe  encountering similar creatures/ships...not alphabetized names.

Well, you have to pay attention to the little things some times. And I like to think that keeping the alphabetical names for the androids is a little hope that this movie will be strongly related to the "Alien" movies, I'd hate to go to cinemas and expect an "Alien" prequel, and to see an Event Horizon one.

nendo

Quote from: Semaka on Aug 09, 2011, 05:28:16 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Aug 09, 2011, 05:24:40 PM

Well, you have to pay attention to the little things some times. And I like to think that keeping the alphabetical names for the androids is a little hope that this movie will be strongly related to the "Alien" movies, I'd hate to go to cinemas and expect an "Alien" prequel, and to see an Event Horizon one.

it may just be conicidance its follows in an order but its no way near what anyone could call proof. just speculation

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: N7 on Aug 09, 2011, 06:20:40 AM
[
And, if I recall the Alien novel correctly, the so called transmitter that makes the 12-second interval signal doesn't seem to belong to the Derelict ship...

I don't believe that Dean Foster wrote anything about it not belonging to the derelict ship

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed