Official release date, synopsis and logo revealed

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Nov 16, 2015, 05:13:54 PM

Author
Official release date, synopsis and logo revealed (Read 52,722 times)

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: botched on Nov 17, 2015, 05:33:29 PM
Fox should go back and re-brand ALIENS into ALIEN: Aliens: Alien 2, so that the uninitiated audience members can connect to dots and know that films are related.
Absolutely not. Prometheus makes sense to rebrand since it literally sounds nothing like ALIEN. ALIENS is clearly related by name alone.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 17, 2015, 04:34:37 AM
Ridley says he isnt letting Alien 'get away from him again.'

...So we're not getting Alien 5 until all the Prometheus sequels are done?

I'm sorry but... that just displeases me. I really hope that isn't the case.

Richman678

I know Prometheus was a let down, but I believe Scott is trying to make a proper Alien movie this time. The only other director I would be happy with making an Aliens movie is James Cameron so this is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Born Of Cold Light

Yeah, I've got good vibes about this as well.  Ridley seems to have a stronger idea of what he wants, and he's clearly re-energized by the idea of revisiting Alien.  Honestly, I've wanted to see this kind of movie for over a decade.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Nov 18, 2015, 02:01:45 AM

He didn't say that. Unless someone can provide me with a source saying otherwise, he said it would be Prometheus 2 first and then Alien 5. I can't remember seeing anything that said he would make it wait until he was done with the Prometheus series.

botched

So James Cameron's AVATAR and Avatar: The last air bender are clearly related then? 

whiterabbit

Scott isn't saying no to Neil Bloomkamp's alien, however Scott wants to rein in the franchise and be in control of the grand concept and themes. The whole "got away from him" deal. Basically he has made alien his baby and if NB wants to play he can but it'll be by Ridley's rules. Which I think is fair and overall a good idea. That's the way I see it anyways.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 08:14:20 AM

He didn't say that. Unless someone can provide me with a source, he said it would be Prometheus 2 first and then Alien 5. I can't remember seeing anything that said he would make it wait until he was done with Prometheus.

Indeed, where did this nonsense get started? IGN again? The last time Scott mentioned Alien 5 he seemed eager to get it going and even mentioned a 2017 release date.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 18, 2015, 09:56:44 AM
Scott isn't saying no to Neil Bloomkamp's alien, however Scott wants to rein in the franchise and be in control of the grand concept and themes. The whole "got away from him" deal. Basically he has made alien his baby and if NB wants to play he can but it'll be by Ridley's rules. Which I think is fair and overall a good idea. That's the way I see it anyways.

Except Scott isn't the George Lucas of the Alien franchise. He doesn't own the IP nor has he funded any of the films himself. He got the original Alien gig because the previous six directors attached to the project had all dropped out. Although he certainly had a major influence on the look of the final film it wasn't his brainchild to begin with.

Looking back at Prometheus, there were instances where Scott had to capitulate to studio interference. Granted, he would have a little bit more  influence and authority than most other directors with regards to this particular IP but for good or for worse, it's a bunch of suits in a boardroom that's ultimately calling all the shots with regards to the future of the Alien franchise.

whiterabbit

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 18, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 08:14:20 AM

He didn't say that. Unless someone can provide me with a source, he said it would be Prometheus 2 first and then Alien 5. I can't remember seeing anything that said he would make it wait until he was done with Prometheus.

Indeed, where did this nonsense get started? IGN again? The last time Scott mentioned Alien 5 he seemed eager to get it going and even mentioned a 2017 release date.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 18, 2015, 09:56:44 AM

Except Scott isn't the George Lucas of the Alien franchise. He doesn't own the IP nor has he funded any of the films himself. He got the original Alien gig because the previous six directors attached to the project had all dropped out. Although he certainly had a major influence on the look of the final film it wasn't his brainchild to begin with.

Looking back at Prometheus, there were instances where Scott had to capitulate to studio interference. Granted, he would have a little bit more  influence and authority than most other directors with regards to this particular IP but for good or for worse, it's a bunch of suits in a boardroom that's ultimately calling all the shots with regards to the future of the Alien franchise.
True but he does yield a tremendous amount of influence and has the desire and experience to pull it off. Although I always wondered about them "suits", surely some of them have to be fans of Alien. Although for a moment I was thinking what a George Lucas Alien movie would be like. Actually I can already see Obi Wan complaining to Little Ani about having to deal with a alien infestation.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 18, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Indeed, where did this nonsense get started? IGN again?

Yup. Bastards.

QuoteExcept Scott isn't the George Lucas of the Alien franchise. He doesn't own the IP nor has he funded any of the films himself. He got the original Alien gig because the previous six directors attached to the project had all dropped out. Although he certainly had a major influence on the look of the final film it wasn't his brainchild to begin with.

I think Scott wields more power than we think. At the end of the day, Fox made him come back for Prometheus. It was originally supposed to be someone called Carl Rinch (sp?) but Fox demanded Ridley do it so whilst he doesn't own the IP, he certainly seems to be the one Fox trusts with it.

whiterabbit

Well even though, to me any way the movie wasn't an "R" movie he certainty didn't pull that PG-13 bullshit with Prometheus. Which is why above all else I'm hopeful that Covenant will be a hard R movie. In this age you need some cred to get an R rating out of studio execs. I think fox definitely trusts him to run the ship. Which is why I called it his baby. Honestly why not, he has made a lot of great movies. Many of which were panned by critics to only become cult classics and some even far more meaning full than anyone would have imagined. Plus the dude loves epics. Which is what I think this Alien (Prometheus) saga is going.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 18, 2015, 11:55:49 AM
Although I always wondered about them "suits", surely some of them have to be fans of Alien.

We're probably getting to a point in time were many of those "suits" would have grown-up with Alien and it's sequels. There certainly seems to be a bit of a revival going on within the franchise with some good quality stuff coming out recently like Alien: Isolation, The Weyland-Yutani Report and many of the new novels.

The current chairman and CEO of Fox also seems to be into science-fiction as I recall an interview where he was unashamedly gushing about all the concept art and stuff currently being made for the Avatar sequels. He is also actively involved with the X Prize foundation.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 12:31:19 PM
I think Scott wields more power than we think. At the end of the day, Fox made him come back for Prometheus. It was originally supposed to be someone called Carl Rinch (sp?) but Fox demanded Ridley do it so whilst he doesn't own the IP, he certainly seems to be the one Fox trusts with it.

They also knew an Alien film that said; "directed by Ridley Scott" would get more bums in the seats.

Xenomorphine

I'm not sure there any such things as 'Ridley's rules' exist for the 'Alien' films. From what I remember, the only thing he truly laments about the direction the series went, was that it didn't return to the derelict and demystify how it became like that.

Something which 'Prometheus' didn't really do, either, as it turned out. :)

He can be a gifted artistic visionary (although, not always), but a part of that mentality is being extremely fluid and distracted by the newest ideas which come his way. Even in the post-production interviews for 'Prometheus', it was clear he didn't have anything approaching concrete plans for the direction he wanted the series to head in.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 18, 2015, 12:48:26 PM
They also knew an Alien film that said; "directed by Ridley Scott" would get more bums in the seats.

True enough but "produced by Ridley Scott" would have done the job just as well for the every man.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 18, 2015, 01:08:10 PM
He can be a gifted artistic visionary (although, not always), but a part of that mentality is being extremely fluid and distracted by the newest ideas which come his way. Even in the post-production interviews for 'Prometheus', it was clear he didn't have anything approaching concrete plans for the direction he wanted the series to head in.

That's what happens when he doesn't have a strong creative team around him.  :-\

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 18, 2015, 01:08:10 PM
I'm not sure there any such things as 'Ridley's rules' exist for the 'Alien' films. From what I remember, the only thing he truly laments about the direction the series went, was that it didn't return to the derelict and demystify how it became like that.

Something which 'Prometheus' didn't really do, either, as it turned out. :)

That "space jockey, who was that" was the excuse he reasoned to do Prometheus in the first place. However now I think he has grabbed the bull by the horns, so to speak. He also thought the alien creature was over and done with but now I think he realizes that it isn't done. That  or the studio execs told him to put Alien in the title or otherwise: no money. :P Prometheus never really had a clear vision, thus why we got what we got but I have faith that he will not repeat the same mistakes the second go round.

Hopefully someone gives Ridley a good hard push this time. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed