Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,181 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 17, 2021, 12:01:16 AM
I always said Resurrection is almost the inverse of Alien. Alien is all the right talented creative people together on the right project. Resurrection is all of the right talented creative people together on the wrong project.

Beautiful art design, costumes, great actors, some impressive creature work, all in service of exactly the wrong script.

This might be the best take on ARES I've ever read. 

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 17, 2021, 12:01:16 AM
I always said Resurrection is almost the inverse of Alien. Alien is all the right talented creative people together on the right project. Resurrection is all of the right talented creative people together on the wrong project.

So, did Hicks steal this sentiment from you ?

SiL

SiL

We've discussed it yeeeeeaars ago so I'm not sure who started it or if it was just a mutual feeling.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Granted, I'm old and my memory is sucky these days, but I generally point that feeling to a reading of Alien: The Archive, then deciding to do a podcast on Resurrection after.

Kradan

Kradan

Great minds think alike then ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can't speak to the great mind, but definitely handsome guys think alike.

VeteranSergeant

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 14, 2021, 06:35:02 AM
There's always the whole "BuRkE wAs LyInG" fallback that so many seem fond of employing.
The hoops people jump through to justify the canon conflicts in the stories of their favorite video games or books always amuse me.

A problem with your canonicity? Weyland Yutani is all-powerful and can control all flows of information, deploy waves of heavily armed mercenaries without fear of repercussions, control governments, etc. Burke seemed pretty resigned to the fact that he couldn't stop Hicks from nuking the colony from orbit, but everything else, Weyland Yutani could do that. 

As far as this novel goes, it sounds pretty dumb. I know some people are far higher on the NuCanon of the Alien RPG, but it all feels like Call of Duty Innnn Spaaaace to me, disregarding the worldbuilding of the Aliens film of coldly calculating megacorporations and supremely bored Colonial Marines upset they never get in any stand-up fights (similar to any peacetime troops), and instead spending their down time talking about transgender space hookers and making fun of colonists.  And I get it, for the purpose of video games and RPGs, you don't want your players as bored as the Colonial Marines seemed to be. But when people start writing novels about these interstellar space wars in a late-stage capitalist dystopian future influenced by megacorporations, I have to stop to wonder if any of them have ever given much thought to how the very same economic and MAD drivers that have prevented open warfare between superpowers since the Korean War would still be in great effect in the future.  Especially if everyone is still based on Earth, within ICBM range of one another. Do we have big guns, and and do grunts brag about them?  Of course. I spent ten years in the US Marines, and we certainly never shot at any Chinese or Russians with them. Heck, the one time we fought a legitimate government, it was only because it posed almost no actual threat, and had no inter-continental strike capability.

Even using the unproduced scripts by William Gibson, his UPP were Space Soviets, locked in a Cold War with the unnamed Space America. This wasn't a setting where colonists got mysteriously slaughtered, like it's turn of the 20th century central Africa or something. Heck, colonial Africa wasn't even that violent between the European powers, because they didn't want major wars breaking out at home over distant parcels of land. The Fashoda Incident, for example, was specifically *not* a bigger incident, because the French realized they didn't want to be sandwiched in the middle between them and the Germans/Austro-Hungarians if a war broke out in Europe (WW1 broke out just 15 years later).

I dunno, Alien always seemed like cold, dystopic science fiction, not grandiose space opera. French colonists being slaughtered only to blame the Brits? What year is this set again? 

I never give much thought to the plots of stuff like the AvP games, or Fireteam Elite. But if you're going to write a novel where the words have to mean things and make sense, maybe put the smallest bit of thought into it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Excellent points.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The EU has been borderline grandiose for a minute for the reasons you already mention.  Slow burn doesn't always translate to videogames or comics, and the novelizations are often influenced by what the rest of the EU is doing.

The more experimental chapters in the EU are very hit or miss in terms of popularity, so I can see people wanting to stick with the norm on what they are writing.

I also don't think many people anywhere expect the Alienverse EU to hold merit with what the movies or tv show are doing despite what anyone is saying right now "officially."  Every decade or so the EU is nuked by the films, and I expect this to continue until Disney finds out what exactly they want from the franchise. 

Also MAD only works until it doesn't.  It has had a good streak, but that streak might be tested if China keeps f**king around with Taiwan. 

I never shot at anyone while I was in, but Chinese plainclothes soldiers DID make the cross hairs once or twice in Ethiopia.  Like I'm sure the Russians did with all the SOF dudes in Syria.  Or SMUs vs Iran in Iraq.  Everybody is always testing each other, and eventually somebody is going to fail. 

[cancerblack]

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

The Amazon listing has a cover now.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Back to the ACM bashes again... Come on, Titan.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

f**king lmao

Why don't they use Isolation instead?

Especially considering the plot.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Every time Titan takes a step forward on their cover art game, we get another 2 or 3 backwards. It's not the worse, but still.  :'(

Miguel

Miguel

I miss the green-filtered covers... :-X

Although I honestly expected a cover like this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed