Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 45,794 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I know there was a lot of dubiousness prior to Isolation release because of Amanda, but I think her involvement in its success is being undersold here. And I say that as someone who hates being tied to the Ripley name as much as anyone. But despite Burke's comments, Amanda had reason to go looking and be in the same area. And I personally thought she brought some personal depth to the story, especially when we finally get to the black box.

SiL

SiL

She absolutely had a reason to go looking. Nobody's questioning that.

But that she found an Alien, had this massive adventure, it resulted in the destruction of a space station, And then all of this gets covered up and all that gets back to Ripley is "Yeah nah she got married, died of cancer, not much to it?"

That's my problem. It's that bullshit "tHeRe wAs a coVerUp" handwaving to shoehorn whatever ridiculous scenario for no good reason.

426Buddy

426Buddy

WY covered up the Prometheus disappearance, the Nostomo disappearance, and the destruction  of Hadleys Hope so what's one more cover up for Isolation?

Kradan

Kradan

Yeeeeah, actually

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 12, 2021, 02:09:37 PM
I really enjoyed Alien: Blackout!

It's a good game, but Xenomorphine's right that playing it on a small screen is pain in the ass

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 13, 2021, 11:39:43 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 12, 2021, 02:09:37 PM
I really enjoyed Alien: Blackout!

It's a good game, but Xenomorphine's right that playing it on a small screen is pain in the ass

That's fair and probably generally relative to many mobile games. I had no problems personally playing it on my phone, but I used a Samsung Galaxy which tends to have larger than average screens.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 13, 2021, 11:15:51 AM
WY covered up the Prometheus disappearance, the Nostomo disappearance, and the destruction  of Hadleys Hope so what's one more cover up for Isolation?
Neither the Nostromo nor the Prometheus disappearances were covered up. The ships went missing. People knew that, if not why. Hadley's wasn't covered up.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Regarding the Nostomo and Prometheus, the company or at least certain people working their had details about these missions. Even transmissons from Shaw and David. Obviously those details were kept hidden, not sure if that's meets the criteria of "cover up".

As for Hadlley's Hope, well I'm sure the company doesn't tell the world that there was an outbreak of Alien parasites. But thats conjecture I guess.

The station in Isolation was old and being decommissioned. The disappearance of the station could be hand waived as easily as missing ships and colonies.

The question would be why would Amanda keep quiet?

SiL

SiL

Hadley's wasn't just a Company venture. The Sulaco wasn't just sending information to WY on its return.

That last bit's the most important. Nobody was around to tell about what happened to the Nostromo or the Prometheus (at least at first), so it's easy enough to just lie about why they were sent where they were. It's not like they had specifics about what happened when they got there.

Amanda's alive and gets picked up at the end of Isolation, so you lose that convenience of nobody getting left to tell the story. Why would she keep it a secret?

Kradan

Kradan

Why would anybody believe her ?

SiL

SiL

They don't even need to. You might still expect "Oh hey I found your daughter, turns out she claimed to see the same thing you did!"

What people forget it's that the first movies really don't present the Company as all powerful. Corporations had to be underhanded because there was government oversight. If Amanda got her story out it wouldn't be the companies controlling the information.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Ripley's name sells more or at least those making the decision seems to think so. Amanda space adventures don't bother me as much as Out of Shadows' asspull.

SiL

SiL

Does it though? I'm pretty sure all the non Ripley EU sells just fine.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I can't say. I felt that would be the reason for them to keep bringing Ripley's name all the time. How much having Amanda helped with Isolation's marketing and sellings? Who knows.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Maybe the Amanda in Aliens is just some WY hired Crisis Actor and not the real Amanda at all!

;)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Retcon time yay.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed