Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,140 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 11, 2021, 09:51:27 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 11, 2021, 08:31:53 AM
Why does everyone need a back story? Why does everyone vaguely related need to be personally involved in everything?

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 08:38:39 AM
McLaren is some guy she's implied to have married off screen in a deleted scene set after her death. He doesn't need to go and fight Aliens too, at all, ever.

I didn't say he needs to have a backstory or he needs to go fight Aliens. But if some fans want to see that - let 'em have it.

No. Because it's beyond stupid. Even silly stuff like that novel where Ripley fights Aliens between the first two movies at least has some base logic of Moar Ripley behind it. Ripley's daughter's husband is just... f**k off with that.

QuoteNo need calling them part of the problem

I disagree.

@TQ:

Quality post, and I appreciate your take. I'm just here for monsters and thus the only character I've ever wanted closure on is David, but I get why it might be nice for some in that way.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 08:55:21 AM
Is she a confirmed divorcee?
Not confirmed, but dumber things have been added.

QuoteOr better yet, his adventure is the reason for special order 937.
"Your work is priority one, all other priorities rescinded? I'll make you eat those oddly formal words if it's the last thing I do, Ellen!"

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 11, 2021, 10:06:52 AM
I thought that the point narratively and thematically, seeing the fictional places and people, we are so very familiar with one last time before saying goodbye.
Goodbye doesn't really exist. I just put Alien back into the Blu Ray player and see them again. Their send-off is their respective death scenes. It rings hollow.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 10:19:00 AM
QuoteNo need calling them part of the problem

I disagree.

CB, enough please. No need to sling insults like that if you don't agree.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It doesn't ring hollow to me, it is goodbye in the sense it's the last time I get to see Harry Dean Stanton and Yaphet Kotto in the Alien roles, difference being with Sigourney Weaver's Ripley we have had four films so that's a reoccurring actor and character, and I didn't want Alien Resurrection to be the last time personally.

I found it fulfilling in a way that it ends with that message particularly, it felt like a reaffirmation of not only Alien's ending but Alien³'s as well, as that's the last time we really hear from Ripley.

I didn't think I wanted it, until I got it, much like that new facet to the Alien I also spoke of.

SiL

SiL

It was fun to play scenarios from the film, I admit. But the main story would've been nicer for me as its own thing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That's fair, I thought it perfect for what it wanted to do, I do loathe all the spin off material that Ripley lineage aspect's generated though without exception.

And for a hypothetical spiritual successor, that's in essence a potential Isolation 2 and Isolation 3, I do not want to see Amanda Ripley ever again.

I'm certain of that.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

On Twitter the author said "It's basically Brexit in space"

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 11, 2021, 03:28:06 PM
On Twitter the author said "It's basically Brexit in space"

Neat concept, could/should work well in this universe narratively.

Just wish it wasn't shackled to two characters related to other characters.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 11, 2021, 11:36:58 AM
That's fair, I thought it perfect for what it wanted to do, I do loathe all the spin off material that Ripley lineage aspect's generated though without exception.

And for a hypothetical spiritual successor, that's in essence a potential Isolation 2 and Isolation 3, I do not want to see Amanda Ripley ever again.

I'm certain of that.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that a fair amount of people attribute Isolation's success to having a Ripley as the protagonist.  Those people learned the wrong lesson.

Stitch

Stitch

Next novel: Chad McClaren's estranged but recently discovered half brother turns out to be a private eye who is hired by Rebecca Jorden's grandparents in Oregon to find out what really happened to their daughter and granddaughter.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 10, 2021, 08:48:18 PM
Great that we are getting another book and finally exploring McClaren.
Wasn't the next AvP book titled Annihilation though?

I don't believe a date had been announced for Annihilation yet... just the AVP anthology.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 10, 2021, 04:18:35 PM
I think Charybdis is probably the best at turning expectations on its head.  And even though I personally found Cold Forge to be way overrated, I don't think Charybdis works without the entry.   

For me, never reading Cold Forge, I came into Charybdis cold, and personally thought it worked wonderfully. There was never a point I was in a state of confusion or felt like I was missing anything, and Blue was a terrific mystery to me that ultimately was explained in the book. After reading it, I had to ask Hicks which characters or settings carried over from Cold Forge because I truly wasn't certain. I had my suspicions, which some turned out to be right, and some wrong.  :)

razeak

razeak

I really don't get the hate for the Amanda connection in Isolation. The flight recorder angle is a very logical way to connect. We literally have a few hundred stories that don't feature her. It makes up a very small percentage of the whole universe. How they tie McClaren in remains to be seen. Obviously Amanda would have given him information.

Execution is one thing, but so far, they haven't had to make any stretch to include her.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: razeak on Oct 11, 2021, 05:45:20 PM
I really don't get the hate for the Amanda connection in Isolation.
It was the secret backstory nobody asked for. Ripley's daughter was an easily disposable story note who basically existed to set up Ripley's surrogate relationship with Newt later in the movie. This particular plotline is trying to turn the Alien series into a family soap opera ala Star Wars and many people just aren't here for that.

Totengott

Totengott

Cool! :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Just like Darkhorse did and Disney/Marvel continually wants the Skywalkers and the Solos involved in their SW stories, they want that Ripley family as the tier 1 alien ass kickers to sell their stories. 

This will go on for decades. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed