Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,199 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Rage War was great. Even if it did rip off ME.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I can't get past
Spoiler
the Aliens wearing masks in space.
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Nearly 200 pages in. One positive I will say at least is the xenos in this seem quite nasty and are well described.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 23, 2022, 08:04:13 PM
Oh boy.

Spoiler
The Pulse Rifles fire pulse blasts and pulse beams.
[close]

:-\ :-X

I made this especially...

lol wut

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 23, 2022, 08:04:13 PM
Oh boy.
Spoiler
The Pulse Rifles fire pulse blasts and pulse beams.
[close]

:-\ :-X

I made this especially...

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 22, 2022, 10:37:18 PM
Who would have thought we'd have a brexit reference in an Alien book?

Oh dear... page 127.

Spoiler
They've actually done it. They have retconned Amanda Ripley's death. She is still alive and in hypersleep.
[close]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

hahaha I totally missed that spoiler, holy SHIT

Definitely canceling my order on this book, lmao

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'm only a couple of chapters in, but a reference to "tales of black goo raining down on frontier worlds" makes me feel like this should have come out after Inferno's Fall.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The author doesnt let you forget about the border bomings btw. They are referenced in what seems like every 10 pages.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Finally got my copy today.

Regarding that page 127 spoiler... I'd be very curious to know if that was the author's choice or if it was mandated by someone.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Apr 30, 2022, 08:55:49 AMFinally got my copy today.

Regarding that page 127 spoiler... I'd be very curious to know if that was the author's choice or if it was mandated by someone.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't editorial.

I'm up to chapter 19 now. It's taking itself more seriously now, but I do wish all the British characters would die, so I stop having to read "guv" in every piece of dialogue.

There's some fantastic descriptive imagery of the Aliens in this. Really digging some of these descriptions. Also really liking the
Spoiler
whole Queen reaching out to the humans aspect. It was something I liked in the original comics, and an aspect of the normal Aliens mesmerizing people from the RPG that I dug too. Not sure where else, if at all, it's going to go with it in this novel but was cool to see that.
[close]

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 28, 2022, 02:12:43 PMThe author doesnt let you forget about the border bomings btw. They are referenced in what seems like every 10 pages.

Honestly, I wish we'd have had something better established with this. An actual written journalistic piece within the book, early on, addressing this a bit more. It's so off-handed in the novel, despite the frequent mentions.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Finally finished it. I felt it improved once all the main characters came together on the colony but the climactic battle was underwhelming. The naming of the Royal Marines operatives just cant be taken seriously and the twist with one of the characters was far too obvious.

Whilst I appreciate what the author was trying to do with the world building and parallels to current British politics, it was far too on the nose and took me right out of the whole thing.

The book wasnt terrible but as an indirect follow up to Into Charybdis it was a big letdown.

Of all the Titan novels so far, this and Prototype are my lowest ranked.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just finished! Overall I had a good time with this one. Would strongly recommend reading "Into Charybdis" and playing/reading the RPG's "Colonial Marines Operations Manual" first as it's side-quel to both. Really I think to fully appreciate the story you will need to be well versed in the current canon as there are tons of references and connections to lore and previous stories.
I was actually flipping from the book to
The "Operations Manual" as all the vehicles and weaponry were straight out of the RPG. So I fully appreciated all the lore references but it definitely toed the line of crossing into "fan service" territory. I'll go ahead and give this one a 7.5/10

May 02, 2022, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 30, 2022, 10:00:57 AM
Quote from: Nukiemorph on Apr 30, 2022, 08:55:49 AMFinally got my copy today.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't editorial.

I'm up to chapter 19 now. It's taking itself more seriously now, but I do wish all the British characters would die, so I stop having to read "guv" in every piece of dialogue.

There's some fantastic descriptive imagery of the Aliens in this. Really digging some of these descriptions. Also really liking the
Spoiler
whole Queen reaching out the humans aspect. It was something I liked in the original comics, and an aspect of the normal Aliens mesmerizing people from the RPG that I dug too. Not sure where else, if at all, it's going to go with it in this novel but was cool to see that.
[close]

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 28, 2022, 02:12:43 PMThe author doesnt let you forget about the border bomings btw. They are referenced in what seems like every 10 pages.

Honestly, I wish we'd have had something better established with this. An actual written journalistic piece within the book, early on, addressing this a bit more. It's so off-handed in the novel, despite the frequent mentions.

While reading I wondered how all you Brits would like the "Best of British" angle (especially the Boris knockoff) lol it seemed a bit over the top  :laugh:

As for the Border Bombings, I agree that there should've been more background on it as very few folks have read/played through the "Operations Manual" 10 mission campaign where it's addressed.

Well lookin forward to your thoughts on the rest of the book, guv   ;D

Adamantiumhip

Adamantiumhip

It feels like it enjoys bashing britain way too much honestly. It feels its to the point of parody and not a faction worthy of a serious place in the alien mythology. The three world empire presumably would have a lot of power and influence and not be the bumbling idiots this makes them out to be so far.

I am enjoying it though.

And someone said it retcons a certain characters death. When did said character die? Ive read pretty much all the novels and comics and dont remember that death which should be a huge event.

kie

kie

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 02, 2022, 10:12:26 PMWhile reading I wondered how all you Brits would like the "Best of British" angle (especially the Boris knockoff) lol it seemed a bit over the top  :laugh:

Hi there, first time poster here... I recently got back into the Alien mythos after really enjoying the Alex White novels, which are a definite franchise high point. I'm also familiar with most of the comics and games, and even the recent RPG (excellent).

Was a little bit apprehensive when reading the premise for 'Colony War' and well, my suspicions were sadly valid...

It's enjoyable enough in places with some decent suspense, and the research and tie-ins are well done (although probably too cryptic as others have mentioned).

The main issue is it's just way over the top, not every Brit is a xenophobic dumbo, I mean Ridley Scott created the whole franchise! And don't get me started on the bizarre victorian parlance which sounds more 19th century than 22nd.  "Best of British to you" I had to google it as I have honestly never heard anybody say that in my life!

To sum up, whilst there are some decent ideas and set pieces but the amount of cringe and inconsistency sunk it for me. Not bad, but pretty misguided 6/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed