Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 80,060 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The condescension of Perfect-Organism is palpable.
The only reason I want a portion of the concepts we've seen before to return is for verisimilitude.
The rest? Again, it has nothing to do with nostalgia when I'm adamant I want new things,
set in the universe I enjoy.

A comparison of quality is a different subject.

Kane's other son

If fans back in the early 80s demanded that a sequel to Alien was faithful to the look and atmosphere of the original, we would have never gotten Aliens. Let future creators surprise us.

The Old One

The Old One

^

irn

The Star Wars fiasco might actually have been a blessing in disguise. It might have shocked and scared Disney enough for them to actually sit back, think for a minute and then pay attention to what they are doing. It taught them not to rely on brand recognition as being the sole reason that draw people to a franchise. Films in a franchise, surprisingly, actually have to be good to keep people interested in that franchise. So hopefully they will get true talent that know what they are doing involved in the future of Alien and not make creative decisions based off of marketing research graphs and focus groups.

It would be awesome if they did a sequel to Alien Covenant that put that particular story arc on a track (as it wasn't even on one to begin with), and followed Alien 3 with a sequel (that does not involve Ripley or Hicks or Newt!) that takes it in a new and interesting direction.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: irn on Apr 05, 2019, 03:39:40 PM
The Star Wars fiasco might actually have been a blessing in disguise. It might have shocked and scared Disney enough for them to actually sit back, think for a minute and then pay attention to what they are doing. It taught them not to rely on brand recognition as being the sole reason that draw people to a franchise. Films in a franchise, surprisingly, actually have to be good to keep people interested in that franchise. So hopefully they will get true talent that know what they are doing involved in the future of Alien and not make creative decisions based off of marketing research graphs and focus groups.

It would be awesome if they did a sequel to Alien Covenant that put that particular story arc on a track (as it wasn't even on one to begin with), and followed Alien 3 with a sequel (that does not involve Ripley or Hicks or Newt!) that takes it in a new and interesting direction.

Disney's issue with Star Wars was that they had left the directors to largely do as they pleased within the confines of what Disney had set up. Disney gave them a lot of wiggle room and had been more hands off than anything because they trust the talent they hire. That's Disney's whole model, you find the talent and you let them do their thing, you edit later. What happened with Solo is that it went off the reservation and stopped using things in Disney's script and started doing its own thing. The things Disney didn't hire the talent to do. Thus they had to get a new director and fix the movie before release and it was ultimately going up against a pretty packed Summer line-up as is. Their resolve to be more watchful isn't totally because of trends, it was largely because the talent they hired went off and did a movie they weren't hired to make.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: irn on Apr 05, 2019, 03:39:40 PM

U N F Yes.

Huggs

Quote from: Kane's other son on Apr 05, 2019, 01:26:26 PM
If fans back in the early 80s demanded that a sequel to Alien was faithful to the look and atmosphere of the original, we would have never gotten Aliens. Let future creators surprise us.

Surprises get you The Predator.

The golden age for making alien and predator movies of quality likely died with the last millennium. I especially do not see Cameron being as ballsy as he was in 86 or with T1 ever again. He's out to make money and win awards. Sexually charged body horror with ultra violence is not going to get him that avatar/titanic recognition.

The only chance for a true return to form would be if Villeneuve gets involved in a non Ripley, horror centered alien story that embraces the dark and gothic nature of the originals, particularly 1&3.

BMW M1

Until I see something definite in the making, I'm still very skeptical that this merger will produce anything good. The best hope TCF/Disney has is adapting Alien and Predator novels.

The Old One

The Old One

Surprises also get you, Under The Skin, Fury Road and Logan.

Denis Villeneuve isn't a requirement but a talented filmmaker is,
Danny Boyle/Alex Garland/Ari Aster/ Robert Eggers etcetera.
Agreed regarding the rest.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2019, 12:28:08 AMStarting "fresh" with Terminator and killing everything post-T2 Halloween-style makes sense. Everything after that second film, at least in my opinion, has been dire and utterly forgettable,

Woah stop making personal opinions "statement of facts".

I will boycott the forthcoming TERMINATOR "Dark Fate"  ::) after James Cameron tricked me into thinking "Genisys" (T5) was "the real sequel to TERMINATOR 2". Yes James Cameron actually said that. Now he's saying T6 is the real sequel............yeah heard it all before.

TERMINATOR 3- Rise of the Machines, in my opinion, is a fun, workable sequel with one of the best truck chase scenes up there with TERMINATOR 2. Yes its campy in a Playboy/Maxim magazine kind of way but that's what made it fun. Kristanna Loken's leather clad Terminatrix was great but I don't get why her endoskeleton looked like a terminator version of the classic UFO alien "little green men" meme.
Also "that ending". Good film.

TERMINATOR 4 (SALVATION) was a formulaic film that tried to Christopher Nolan the TERMINATOR films but at least the production values were good.

TERMINATOR 5 (Gensys) was just trash and made ROBOCOP 3 (1993) look like Blade Runner by comparison.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PMWhile a decision was made to apparently not renew any Alien vs. Predator licences.

The Old One

The Old One

Uh. NA's right though.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Apr 06, 2019, 02:56:59 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2019, 12:28:08 AMStarting "fresh" with Terminator and killing everything post-T2 Halloween-style makes sense. Everything after that second film, at least in my opinion, has been dire and utterly forgettable,

My personal opinion was never meant to represent anybody's thoughts but my own.

Alien5Please

Exciting news. Please, Disney, make the right move away from the Ridley prequels and bring us a story connected to the characters and storyline we loved about the originals. Blomkamp's vision sounds both nostalgic and evolutionary. That's the right mix. We've already squeezed all the juice out of the David/religious philosophical introgue in Ridleys two new chapters. Somewhere new, with a nod to the old, please

Mr. Clemens

Just throwing my lot in with the 'Let Ridley Finish' crowd in case Disney reps are reading.

After that, y'all do whatever you gonna do.

Huggs

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Apr 06, 2019, 02:56:59 PM

I will boycott the forthcoming TERMINATOR "Dark Fate"  ::) after James Cameron tricked me into thinking "Genisys" (T5) was "the real sequel to TERMINATOR 2". Yes James Cameron actually said that. Now he's saying T6 is the real sequel............yeah heard it all before.

TERMINATOR 3- Rise of the Machines, in my opinion, is a fun, workable sequel with one of the best truck chase scenes up there with TERMINATOR 2. Yes its campy in a Playboy/Maxim magazine kind of way but that's what made it fun. Kristanna Loken's leather clad Terminatrix was great but I don't get why her endoskeleton looked like a terminator version of the classic UFO alien "little green men" meme.
Also "that ending". Good film.

TERMINATOR 4 (SALVATION) was a formulaic film that tried to Christopher Nolan the TERMINATOR films but at least the production values were good.

TERMINATOR 5 (Gensys) was just trash and made ROBOCOP 3 (1993) look like Blade Runner by comparison.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PMWhile a decision was made to apparently not renew any Alien vs. Predator licences.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/c15dea03a6e4df6c1d42ce4391b256e6/tenor.gif

At least salvation had Bale and genisys had Jason and Emilia.

All T6 is, is Skynet vs the Avon industry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed