Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,610,216 times)

Kradan

Kradan

It looks like it's shedding its skin

SiL

SiL

The shoulders just look like lumpy messes.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Master Chief

Master Chief

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

f**king incredible

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Maybe it's not the best picture of an alien, but it's something special for me.

A friend showed me ALIENS first, and other than the Queen, the aliens are very impressionistic in that film. It's more about how they move, and how fast they are, and what it looks like to see hoardes of them.

If you'd asked me to draw an alien after watching that film, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I couldn't visualise them.

Of course, now they're everywhere.

And this was after the theatrical release had been and gone. The ALIENS movie magazine was long gone. There were no images of what the alien looked like I could find anywhere.

But I came across a book on special effects from the library, and it had this photo in it. And I looked it at for hours, studying it. It was such a compelling image. The complexity of the design enraptured me. I thought the element of the human skull (which, obviously I hadn't noticed on ALIENS because it wasn't there) was amazing.

I renewed that book several times.

My real love for the ALIEN films, my interest in Giger's artwork, started right here with this exact image.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 09, 2022, 02:34:29 AMI thought the element of the human skull (which, obviously I hadn't noticed on ALIENS because it wasn't there) was amazing.

>:(

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Neil Davies

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 09, 2022, 02:43:49 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 09, 2022, 02:34:29 AMI thought the element of the human skull (which, obviously I hadn't noticed on ALIENS because it wasn't there) was amazing.

>:(

8)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 09, 2022, 02:34:29 AM
Spoiler

[close]

A friend showed me ALIENS first, and other than the Queen, the aliens are very impressionistic in that film. It's more about how they move, and how fast they are, and what it looks like to see hoardes of them.

If you'd asked me to draw an alien after watching that film, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I couldn't visualise them.

And this was after the theatrical release had been and gone. The ALIENS movie magazine was long gone. There were no images of what the alien looked like I could find anywhere.

But I came across a book on special effects from the library, and it had this photo in it. And I looked it at for hours, studying it. It was such a compelling image. The complexity of the design enraptured me. I thought the element of the human skull (which, obviously I hadn't noticed on ALIENS because it wasn't there) was amazing.

My real love for the ALIEN films, my interest in Giger's artwork, started right here with this exact image.

I know that book - and image very well. I first borrowed the book in 1990. There's an interesting image of a fingerless hand and forearm rubber prop (most likely from MAD MAX 2). The book also covered SUPERGIRL (1984).

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 09, 2022, 09:28:52 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 09, 2022, 02:34:29 AM
Spoiler

[close]

I know that book - and image very well. I first borrowed the book in 1990. There's an interesting image of a fingerless hand and forearm rubber prop (most likely from MAD MAX 2). The book also covered SUPERGIRL (1984).

Wow! I don't suppose you can remember the title. I now recall that the cover was a model shot of a steam-train in space I think, with a train station on an asteroid, or something like that.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I've forgotten the title. But I remember it was a hardback book with a low page count. A kid's book - more of a beginner's guide to movie SFX and stunts.

I only borrowed the book because of that image you posted: Carlo Rambaldi and the animatronic head-in-progress.

I also remember there was a focus on SFX in Australian films, e.g. MAD MAX 2 & TURKEY SHOOT.

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Original Inner Jaw ram prop from Profiles in History.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed