DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 76,664 times)

426Buddy

Do we even know if they breath in the traditional sense?

*Sits back and waits for this ancient argument to begin again* ;D

The Kurgan

Nah i don't think they breath.

It would severely limit their ability to survive in different environments and it would be a pretty big weakness.

They are also biomechanical creatures. Breathing just does not feel right for them.

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2019, 08:13:44 AM
QuoteAnd it irked me that they made such a big deal of the aliens exploding because of explosives they had on them when don't aliens do that regularly when shot and sliced?

No.

Maybe they don't explode Hollywood/A:CM boiler style but they clearly have either a high blood pressure or the weapons that kill them spread the blood everywhere. Maybe explode was a bit too much, but they do squirt a lot.  :laugh: Smartgun, the pulse rifle makes a good splash, Rez when the alien was shot on the ladder had its head explode, in A3 after the molten lead and cold water crack its head: boom.

I'm just saying the suicide xeno vests/collars were a bit redundant and goofy. A bit.
It's also funny how the androids were leading the aliens which fits well with Covenant now.  ;D

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 19, 2019, 12:09:09 PM
It is utterly nonsense that they can survive in space,
Why?

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 19, 2019, 12:09:09 PMThese are supposed to be living organisms, not supernatural.
They're also impossible creatures capable of impossible things, I'm pretty okay with them not needing a space suit.

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 19, 2019, 04:30:59 PM
QuoteAnd it irked me that they made such a big deal of the aliens exploding because of explosives they had on them when don't aliens do that regularly when shot and sliced?

No.

Maybe they don't explode Hollywood/A:CM boiler style but they clearly have either a high blood pressure or the weapons that kill them spread the blood everywhere. Maybe explode was a bit too much, but they do squirt a lot.  :laugh: Smartgun, the pulse rifle makes a good splash, Rez when the alien was shot on the ladder had its head explode, in A3 after the molten lead and cold water crack its head: boom.
It's the one I bolded. The pulse rifle and smartgun fire explosive-tipped ammunition, I can't really speak to the one in Resurrection because who knows what kind of rounds Johner's pistols were firing, and the one in A3 exploding is due to the extreme temperature change - similar things happen with terrestrial objects.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 19, 2019, 02:20:14 PM
The microscopic tardigrade- has been evaluated to have the ability survive in the vaccum of space for at least ten days.

So there's no reason, the Alien couldn't.
That's a very poor argument. "Microscopic" is the key word there. Microscopic life is capable of many things macroscopic life isn't -- and vice versa.

The Queen, however, is a good enough argument that they can survive much, much longer than a human exposed to a vacuum. Whether they can survive "indefinitely" is another story. They clearly breathe. But she lasted the better part of an hour with no ill effect, so clearly it doesn't bother them as much.

The Old One

The Old One

Actually, as far as I've read-
A tardigrades survivability
has nothing much to do
with their size, amazing
creatures. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Let us not forget also, we're
discussing a creature with
quite a few characteristics
uncommonly found/found
in cohesion in macroscopic life.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 19, 2019, 11:47:03 PM

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 19, 2019, 04:30:59 PM

No.

It's the one I bolded. The pulse rifle and smartgun fire explosive-tipped ammunition, I can't really speak to the one in Resurrection because who knows what kind of rounds Johner's pistols were firing, and the one in A3 exploding is due to the extreme temperature change - similar things happen with terrestrial objects.

At least the facehugger seemed to have a highly pressurized bloodstream when they attempted to cut him down from Kane's face.

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 19, 2019, 02:58:47 PM

It would severely limit their ability to survive in different environments and it would be a pretty big weakness.

They are also biomechanical creatures. Breathing just does not feel right for them.

They do breathe, they would not be able to make hissing noises otherwise, and their breath can clearly be seen coming out of some of them in of the films.

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 20, 2019, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 19, 2019, 02:58:47 PM

They do breathe, they would not be able to make hissing noises otherwise, and their breath can clearly be seen coming out of some of them in of the films.

A steam boiler or steam engine hisses and you can see steam come out of them, does not mean they breath. Considering the biomechanical nature of the things, hissing and "breath" coming out of them, could be something entirely different than the organic equivalent.

The Cruentus

They snarl, roar and hiss. That requires the ability to breath.

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 20, 2019, 09:34:39 AM
They snarl, roar and hiss. That requires the ability to breath.

Technically only the ability to push out air.

The Cruentus

Which would require air to have been inhaled in the first place for it to be breathed out.

The Kurgan

Or it air or some equivalent gets produced by whatever functions that keep them going.

Also if i recall correctly the only undoubtedly breathing aliens are the hybrids in Resurrection. Maybe those do breath as a byproduct of the human DNA in them.

The Cruentus

The Queen is clearly heard breathing in aliens.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 20, 2019, 04:13:24 AM
Actually, as far as I've read-
A tardigrades survivability
has nothing much to do
with their size, amazing
creatures. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade
They are amazing creatures, but if you read about how they survive in space it doesn't say "indefinitely", and it points out they're not extremophiles because they can't thrive in those conditions, only endure. They tested tardigrades who were already in "survival mode", and those in a normal condition -- only 68% of the "survival mode" tardigrades could be revived, and subsequent mortality rates were high. The regular group fared worse.

So they can endure it, but they'll still die in space faster than in ideal conditions.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 20, 2019, 09:47:54 AM
The Queen is clearly heard breathing in aliens.
And all the Aliens in Resurrection are breathing. I know the argument would be that "it's the genetic crossing", but since the regular Aliens Queen was also breathing, it's clearly not a contamination.

Also the original Alien yawns, which is a product of a respiratory system.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed