DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 77,336 times)

The Cruentus

I thought putting breathing apparatus on them was actually a good idea, since I have always disliked the idea that they can survive in space unaided, because that is just as dumb as empaths and other supernatural crap.

The Old One

The Old One

No, it's a terrible idea.
It's a visual franchise
and a  ridiculous visual.

Alien 1979 already showed
Kane's Son surviving in the
endless vacuum of space,
Isolation & Covenant too.

They can survive in space,
it's an established fact of
the franchise at this point.

Yet another reason they can't
possibly be a natural creature.

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 18, 2019, 03:55:48 PM

Yup  :P

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 16, 2019, 10:52:59 PM
We're chatting to Gabriel next week. As always, wanted to give you all the chance to get any questions in. Any I haven't already got down that I think sound interesting I'll make sure to ask!

I'd be interested in knowing what his favorite Aliens comics are. But more specifically I'd like to know which stories he thinks are the best from a written perspective and which are the best from an artistic perspective, considering he handled both duties for "Dust to Dust".

The Old One

The Old One

Which Alien design is his favourite and why?

Any love for the maligned franchise entries?
(Prequels, Resurrection, AVP, AVPR)

Skull or no Skull?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 18, 2019, 07:25:50 PM
Skull or no Skull?

That is a default question for me now. Never fear with this one!

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jan 18, 2019, 05:59:35 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 16, 2019, 10:52:59 PM
We're chatting to Gabriel next week. As always, wanted to give you all the chance to get any questions in. Any I haven't already got down that I think sound interesting I'll make sure to ask!

I'd be interested in knowing what his favorite Aliens comics are. But more specifically I'd like to know which stories he thinks are the best from a written perspective and which are the best from an artistic perspective, considering he handled both duties for "Dust to Dust".

That's a good one. I'll tag that on if he says he did read the others.

Still Collating...

It's a visual franchise

endless vacuum of space,

Agreed as well. The scuba gear was silly. And it irked me that they made such a big deal of the aliens exploding because of explosives they had on them when don't aliens do that regularly when shot and sliced? But still, besides these little gripes, I really love Rage War.
If I'm not mistaken, the way Hollywood shows people exploding in space is very unrealistic. You die a slow agonizing death in space, as I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson explained. So the alien with it's armor/thick skin can be just fine, at least for a little while IMO.

Don't have a question and I've already expressed my dislike of the mommy alien. But I do want to praise the the use of WY in the comic. I thought the idea behind the reasoning is sound as in "we've seen stuff like this happen before in our world..." and very logical from an economic point of view.   

Xenomrph

endless vacuum of space,

While I'd be hesitant to cite 'Alien' as proof of the Alien's ability to survive in space, it was a well-established fact back in the old EU.

SM

SM

QuoteAnd it irked me that they made such a big deal of the aliens exploding because of explosives they had on them when don't aliens do that regularly when shot and sliced?

No.

The Cruentus

It's a visual franchise

endless vacuum of space,

Actuallly it didn't. humans can survive in space for about a minute or so, Big chap was only exposed for a short time and so was the P4 Alien. It is utterly nonsense that they can survive in space, but unfortunately some sources choose to show that they can ,such  as A:CM and even Isolation. While it might look ridiculous and be ridiculous having an alien with a breathing apparatus on, its is logical and make sense. These are supposed to be living organisms, not supernatural.
But I still willing to bet they cannot survive indefinitely in space, unlike Acheron before it was terraformed, where there is some form of atmosphere to filter, space has nothing at all. This is where I personally feel the media *comics and games) fails the creatures, because of it is hard to take seriously when it is walking about in space like a supernatural creature instead of a science fiction one.

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 19, 2019, 12:09:09 PM
It's a visual franchise

endless vacuum of space,

Actuallly it didn't. humans can survive in space for about a minute or so, Big chap was only exposed for a short time and so was the P4 Alien. It is utterly nonsense that they can survive in space, but unfortunately some sources choose to show that they can ,such  as A:CM and even Isolation. While it might look ridiculous and be ridiculous having an alien with a breathing apparatus on, its is logical and make sense. These are supposed to be living organisms, not supernatural.
But I still willing to bet they cannot survive indefinitely in space, unlike Acheron before it was terraformed, where there is some form of atmosphere to filter, space has nothing at all. This is where I personally feel the media *comics and games) fails the creatures, because of it is hard to take seriously when it is walking about in space like a supernatural creature instead of a science fiction one.

Granted we don't actually get to see them survive for longer periods in space, and having them survive indefinitely in space is a bit much, but they are biomechanical organisms. Still living organisms and not supernatural sure, but it would make sense that they don't share the same weaknesses and limitations that purly organical life has.

Isn't there even some microscopic organic life here on earth that can survive quite long in the vacuum of space? I remember reading about it somewhere.

Also surviving under any environmental conditions is one of the creatures trademarks.I don't think it is that far into the realm of the impossible to assume it can survive for some time in space.

The Cruentus

Surviving longer than human, sure that is fine, indefinitely? That is over the top in my opinion.

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 19, 2019, 12:37:49 PM
Surviving longer than human, sure that is fine, indefinitely? That is over the top in my opinion.

Change that to significantly longer than humans and we agree  ;)

Necronomicon II

I would think a biomechanical organism would be akin to an extremophile to some extent, so they probably can withstand the void of space for a considerable amount of time but would eventually freeze at some point.

The Old One

The Old One

The microscopic tardigrade-
has been evaluated to have
The ability survive in the
vaccum of space for
at least ten days.

So there's no reason,
the Alien couldn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed