How does “Cryogenic Sleep” occur in the films?

Started by RipleyC8, Aug 21, 2020, 03:20:10 AM

Author
How does “Cryogenic Sleep” occur in the films? (Read 4,197 times)

SiL

CMTM says 0.74ly/day, movie Sulaco travels 1.7ly/day. How is that not grossly undermining it?

426Buddy

This one always crops up from time to time, they were way off on the Sulaco speed.

Local Trouble

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2020, 08:51:26 PM
CMTM says 0.74ly/day, movie Sulaco travels 1.7ly/day. How is that not grossly undermining it?

Your statement is misleading, I'm sure that's not your intention though.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 25, 2020, 08:57:26 PM
This one always crops up from time to time, they were way off on the Sulaco speed.

Not really. Does it say what the Sulaco's maximum speed is?

SM

SM

Yah really.  0.74 is apparently a "high cruising speed".

It's actual speed is more than double that.

It's an obvious mistake (but understandable considering the relative lack of source material when it was written) - like the size of the Sulaco or the spelling of Thedus.  Mistakes can happen in any medium - they don't need to be adhered to if they're demonstrably wrong.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 10, 2013, 06:32:58 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 10, 2013, 06:25:38 AMI'd still be interested in seeing the math on that. I'm not saying the CMTM is infallible (cough "Thetis" cough), I'm just curious where the correct numbers come from.

The CMTM states: "FTL propulsion is provided by a hyperdrive tachyon shunt, with a maximum speed of 0.74 light years per sidereal day."

LV-426 is located in the Zeta II Reticuli star system which is 39 light years from Earth.

According to the script and dialogue in the film, the transit time to LV-426 from Earth was only three weeks.

Now, math was never my strong suit, but it seems to me that Sulaco could have traveled only 15.52 light years at the CMTM's stated maximum speed in 21 days. That's less than half the actual distance to Zeta II Reticuli.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 10, 2013, 06:25:38 AMI'd say "what can be gleaned from the films" is a bit of a grey area - it's technically not the films themselves, it's a fan's interpretation of them. Interpretations aren't "canon", they're fan-fiction at best. I suppose on principle I'd be willing to side with a "wrong" official number over a "correct" fan-fiction number, at least until a later official source corrects the mistake (e.g., the Executor size, which was all over the map in official sources over the years).

Suit yourself.  For my money, empirical evidence trumps what some staff writer for West End Games casually jotted down for a role playing game sourcebook.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2020, 10:54:06 PM
Yah really.  0.74 is apparently a "high cruising speed".

It's actual speed is more than double that.

It's an obvious mistake (but understandable considering the relative lack of source material when it was written) - like the size of the Sulaco or the spelling of Thedus.  Mistakes can happen in any medium - they don't need to be adhered to if they're demonstrably wrong.

I absolutely believe mistakes can be made in any medium, I make them all the time and I have no difficulty admitting so. 0.74 light years per sidereal day is indeed a high cruising speed for Conestoga's, and the film indeed does show the Sulaco traveling much faster, precisely as I stated above. Can you explain where the conflict is here?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2020, 10:56:42 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 10, 2013, 06:32:58 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 10, 2013, 06:25:38 AMI'd still be interested in seeing the math on that. I'm not saying the CMTM is infallible (cough "Thetis" cough), I'm just curious where the correct numbers come from.

The CMTM states: "FTL propulsion is provided by a hyperdrive tachyon shunt, with a maximum speed of 0.74 light years per sidereal day."

LV-426 is located in the Zeta II Reticuli star system which is 39 light years from Earth.

According to the script and dialogue in the film, the transit time to LV-426 from Earth was only three weeks.

Now, math was never my strong suit, but it seems to me that Sulaco could have traveled only 15.52 light years at the CMTM's stated maximum speed in 21 days. That's less than half the actual distance to Zeta II Reticuli.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 10, 2013, 06:25:38 AMI'd say "what can be gleaned from the films" is a bit of a grey area - it's technically not the films themselves, it's a fan's interpretation of them. Interpretations aren't "canon", they're fan-fiction at best. I suppose on principle I'd be willing to side with a "wrong" official number over a "correct" fan-fiction number, at least until a later official source corrects the mistake (e.g., the Executor size, which was all over the map in official sources over the years).

Suit yourself.  For my money, empirical evidence trumps what some staff writer for West End Games casually jotted down for a role playing game sourcebook.

In point of fact the CMTM does not state the maximum speed of the Sulaco is 0.74 light years per sidereal day. That is the central confusion and the heart of this misunderstanding.

Local Trouble

Maybe it was from an earlier edition of the book.  I know I didn't just invent that quote out of thin air.

SpaceKase

Quote from: SpaceKase on Aug 25, 2020, 08:54:33 AM
Skip ahead about 42 more years to 2179. The heavily armored Sulaco has a fuel efficient high cruising speed of about...
0.74 light years per sidereal day (~271 cee) . But, if needs be it, could haul ass on full burn and pull around...
1.8 light years per sidereal day (~666 cee) and get from Sol to Zeta 2 Reticuli in a breakneck 21 days.

SM

QuoteI absolutely believe mistakes can be made in any medium, I make them all the time and I have no difficulty admitting so. 0.74 light years per sidereal day is indeed a high cruising speed for Conestoga's, and the film indeed does show the Sulaco traveling much faster, precisely as I stated above. Can you explain where the conflict is here?

It's pretty obvious that would be a waste of time.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2020, 11:10:08 PM
Maybe it was from an earlier edition of the book.  I know I didn't just invent that quote out of thin air.

No man, you're totally barking up the right tree, I know precisely what you're referring to, you're close, just slightly inaccurate. It's just the Mandela effect.

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2020, 11:11:22 PM
QuoteI absolutely believe mistakes can be made in any medium, I make them all the time and I have no difficulty admitting so. 0.74 light years per sidereal day is indeed a high cruising speed for Conestoga's, and the film indeed does show the Sulaco traveling much faster, precisely as I stated above. Can you explain where the conflict is here?

It's pretty obvious that would be a waste of time.

That feels pretty rude. It's okay to be incorrect about something, I'm incorrect about stuff all the time, it's human. I can demonstrate where the confusion is, but I've got a feeling this may have turned into a personal thing, and my mere suggestion has caused offense. My apologies, I respect the hell out you regardless, and I'd like you to know that. I assure you, any perceived rudeness or disrespect on my part is entirely unintentional.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Anyone have a first edition printing of the CMTM handy?  If LBW fixed* it in a revision, then great.  I just want to know I'm not entirely insane.

QuoteIt was first published on March 1, 1995, and has been reissued twice — by HarperPrism in 1996 and Titan Books in 2012.

Xenopedia - The Alien vs. Predator Wiki

* - the "high cruising speed" still seems too slow, but at least it's not "maximum" anymore...

SM

Yeah I do.  Unless there's another contradictory mention of the 0.74 as max speed I just have "high cruising speed".

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2020, 11:30:50 PM
Yeah I do.  Unless there's another contradictory mention of the 0.74 as max speed I just have "high cruising speed".

Bingo! There you go. Sorry about the tension, friend. I think you're great, no sarcasm implied.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2020, 11:17:22 PM
Anyone have a first edition printing of the CMTM handy?  If LBW fixed* it in a revision, then great.  I just want to know I'm not entirely insane.

QuoteIt was first published on March 1, 1995, and has been reissued twice — by HarperPrism in 1996 and Titan Books in 2012.

Xenopedia - The Alien vs. Predator Wiki

* - the "high cruising speed" still seems too slow, but at least it's not "maximum" anymore...

Oh, trust me, we're all mad here. But I totally agree, I think the high cruising speed of 55mph here in the States is waaaaay too slow, *sigh* the cops, they feel otherwise.

SiL

It mentions it can go faster, but says it's not sustainable and doesn't say by how much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed