"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series"

Started by DavidIsDaddy, Mar 06, 2023, 06:28:33 AM

Author
"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series" (Read 20,953 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 30, 2023, 01:43:15 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 30, 2023, 12:55:42 PMAfter Resurrection or before Alien probably, as that would be my vote.

I think before Alien is a good vote all considered - just not in the way the prequels did it 😊 I'd like to go back to space being this vast, dark, foreboding and isolating place, the mystery of finding something we don't understand and unleashing an ancient horror from god-knows where. Even in Aliens, space started to feel small (I don't want to feel like every ship is just a fortnight away, a gazillion terraformed planets with breathable earth-like conditions, or focus on the xeno being a lab animal). For me personally, when it comes to an Alien movie,space should be vast and terrifying, contrasted by our protection/sanctuary from it being small and claustrophobic. I don't care to see full-on Xenomorph running across open spaces in full cgi glory (as we saw in Covenant) just because we can.. I'd much prefer those brief obscured shots we got in the original trilogy and let our minds fill in the blanks (the shot of the alien raising to stand full heigh obscured by the over the shoulder view from behind Lambert for example, the aliens in the ceiling as Hicks lifts the cover to peer inside, the alien head coming into view to peer down at the prisoner climbing the ladder, etc) - more terror and less 'space Jurassic Park' (if that makes sense?) 😅

Well put, and I agree.
Want the series to be brought back to it's more cosmic horror roots, and put it on full blast.

SiL

Quote from: Still Collating... on Mar 30, 2023, 12:34:22 PMBut I ask this not jokingly, are you SiL against all of the EU then? When would you put a new film?
EU can do whatever, it's there For "what if?" stories.

I'm not particularly fussed about new movies.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Mar 31, 2023, 12:13:15 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Mar 30, 2023, 12:34:22 PMBut I ask this not jokingly, are you SiL against all of the EU then? When would you put a new film?
EU can do whatever, it's there For "what if?" stories.

I'm not particularly fussed about new movies.

Gotta agree with Sil on this one; EU can be really fun, but to me personally the modern EU, no matter how much they try to push 'canon', the novels etc are just the same was they were in the late 80s and early 90s - loved the dark horse comics but never thought of them as canon. And the problem with EU, is it's only ever canon until it's not (take Colonial Marines and Earth Hive as an example). I don't care much for Resurrection in the canon (I always treated it as EU / a live action Dark Horse comic anyway, as it never really fit the atmosphere and tone of the original trilogy) however I accept it as such - but the modern EU (books/games/comics) makes it make even less sense (why the hell go to all of the trouble of Cloning Ripley to get a genetically crossed xeno, when clearly there's an abundance of Xenos and pathogen in the known universe, in labs, encountered by colonial marines, multiple colonies falling victim etc etc).

I quite enjoy Prometheus and Covenant and watch them regularly, but even those I kind of subconsciously think of as being a part of the EU. To me personally, top tier canon is Alien, Aliens and Alien 3, though I think (like many) I feel Isolation is so well done with a lot of respect for the original trilogy that I'm happy to include it... the rest? I enjoy them and own em all, but I can't think of them as canon (that doesn't make them any less enjoyable to me) but the original trilogy is in a different league (in my opinion) 😊👍

BlueMarsalis79

I would like an actual post Resurrection film though honestly.

Between Noah Hawley's show, and potentially also Fede Alvarez's film and the other prequels, I think the time before Alien has been pretty much covered completely.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 31, 2023, 02:01:12 AMI would like an actual post Resurrection film though honestly.

Between Noah Hawley's show, and potentially also Fede Alvarez's film and the other prequels, I think the time before Alien has been pretty much covered completely.

The post-Resurrection time period itself definitely has potential 😊 (I like Alien Resurrection as portrayed in the game - hell I even like the newborn in the game - I still feel a rigorous in-death fan edit/drastic overhaul (to fix tone, atmosphere,replace soundtrack with original trilogy music cues etc etc)of the movie could bring it more in line / where it needs to be (it's one of those ideas I've had on the back burner for an eternity, maybe once my thesis is finally submitted this year I'll have more time to revisit it!)😅 but a sequel done with a director who has a love of the originals in the same way Creative Assembly did when they made Isolation could work.. the problem will always be that it'd rely heavily on Resurrection, meaning canonically you'd have to take that movie as-is to get there (that's a harder sell for me) *unless* you went full-on original unconnected story in that time period .. but the tech of that time period doesn't do it for me either, they'd have the reel-in the scale (the Auriga for example, it's scale /interior... it's more sci-fi and lost the believability the original trilogy had... I always felt the first 3 movies were believable in their 'industrial look' - I can't think of any logical reason for the scale and large open empty areas of the Auriga (not just the obscenely large docking area, but those gigantic walkways with giant open drops etc) I think maybe if they took it back a notch, maybe focus on a sort of run-down humanity, in futuristic slums or something, then I agree a post-resurrection story could be really cool! Especially since the writers would have to get creative with no Weyland Yutani and no synthetics (Autons appear to be rare after the recall, Call seems to be one of the last of her kind) 😊 one thing Resurrection does provide is the potential for unexpected changes to the xeno.. the queen as we saw, started its standard reproduction cycle then underwent a metamorphosis over time to something new - the drones were still 'juvaniles' evident by their smooth dome heads (hadn't undergone further metamorphosis that we know takes places over time as-per 'Aliens' ) that could be a really cool way to keep the xeno design, but introduce changes to its behaviour/cycle to keep the audience guessing if they too, like their queen, undergo changes due to Ripley's dna over time.. I'd like that angle. Familiar but fresh.

BlueMarsalis79

My take has and always will be to set it after Resurrection chronologically but act like it did not happen.

Essentially carry the themes and aesthetics of Alien forward and discard absolutely everything else if you want to.

SiL

I think the resistance to post AR largely comes from the aesthetic more than anything. No pulse rifles = no dice for a lot of people.

ralfy

The first movie is about horror, with the creature not fully revealed throughout.

The second movie uses action because it could no longer use horror like the first movie.

The third movie uses something like a procedural with a political thriller element in the background and at the end.

The fourth movie is a political thriller with action elements.

What genre will they use for this one?

Corporal Hicks

I think just set after Alien 3 and ignore Alien Resurrection. It doesn't need that huge a time jump imho.

skhellter

isn't this what the show is doing?

the art with the crashed ship features a big white WY logo (like the ones in Alien3).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm not sure what date has been settled on re: the show. It was a bit all over the place from what we'd seen.

skhellter

skhellter

kicking Resurrection from continuity seems like the right idea.

Really hope the show isn't set pre-Alien. It'll undercut the original 3 movies AND will probably become a AVPR situation with the city being nuked... again.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 31, 2023, 09:04:45 AMI'm not sure what date has been settled on re: the show. It was a bit all over the place from what we'd seen.

This is interesting to hear, since all of their "official" word keeps going back to pre-Alien. Really hoping for post-Alien 3, myself.

And as for the canon status of Resurrection, I say do whatever with it. I genuinely enjoy a lot of the movie, and will continue to do so, but I wouldn't really care if it is technically considered "canon" or not. It plays like a "What If?" 90s Dark Horse comic take on the Alien universe anyways.

T Dog

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 31, 2023, 02:01:12 AMI would like an actual post Resurrection film though honestly.

I had an idea for an Alien V movie that would be a sequel to Covenant and a sequel to Resurrection. Basically Ripley 8 finds David whose been living for hundreds of years on a biomechanical planet system. It would conclude both timelines.

I think it might be too late for that movie to exist now though.

oduodu

always liked the idea that ripley8 and call somehow discover old wy servers that has davids story in their somewhere. they set out to find david and the planet he biomechanized.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed