Nostromo Revisited

Started by Frosty Venom, Feb 03, 2019, 05:38:05 AM

Author
Nostromo Revisited (Read 19,428 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Wow, I did not expect to wake up to this.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Was it everything you hoped for?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It will be if it results in satisfaction for all the involved parties.  I don't have a dog in this fight though.

I'm a bit surprised that AlienTheory was never registered on AvPG before all this, however.

AlienTheory

AlienTheory

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 05, 2019, 03:31:07 PM
Like I said, you have to give credit/attribution to the work you take because its not your work and taking credit or at least misleading others, whether intentional or not, is not a very nice thing to do. If you really care about others and do not wish to offend, then go back to your videos that have done this, edit them and give credit to the source of where you taking the information from, even if its only a paragraph that has been taken.

Needing more to work with is not an excuse either, you could just watch the movies, read the books, play the games and see behind the scenes and other documantaries and interviews to get the info, don''t take it from xenopedia.

If you are serious about not wanting bad blood then you need to prove it, show us that you wish to respect our work. Any video of yours that has taken information from a source without attribution needs to be addressed, preferrably in the video itself rather merely in the description since not many people actually read the description under the video it seems.

And I do understand why you don't want to do this here but you need to realize that this negativity doesn't come from nowhere, there is a reason for it. If you want to change that then you got to be original and start respecting the sources by citing them.. That is all you ever needed to do. I hope you take this to heart and start doing it. You may then find yourself getting respect from us if your work is original or citing the sources.

There has been a misunderstanding here and if I communicated poorly I am sorry. When I said that I needed more to work with I meant in specific regard to the accusations of plagiarism. Generalizations are being made about my videos, and my citations. I cannot work worth being told my videos are stolen and I need to cite them. That is broad.

I've made videos where I cite a source verbally, show a picture of the book on screen, name the book, name the author, go into the excerpt,  and still will get comments asking "where'd you get this information?" so I don't know. I really don't.

So another concern here is how easily what I'm communicating can be misconstrued. "I want to share cool stuff about Alien" has already been interpreted as "I'm taking from your wiki and don't care," and "I need more to work with" has been interpreted as "I'm too lazy to do my own work so I lift from your wiki too bad." That is not true. That devalues my hard work and research. It is more than that...it is passion -- a passion I recognize unquestionably in you. I respect that even if I'm catching shrapnel from you. It is your baby. You are protective of it. I understand entirely. I feel the same way about my work which is why I'm here running in circles like I swore I wouldn't. But I simply cannot work with "you're stealing stuff and you need to cite" ... you cannot expect me to take that constructively. That is unreasonable.

Again I'd like to talk to you in non-forum correspondences and hammer this out. You could list some videos and we could compare resources and work together to understand each other. We are not aligned at the moment but that could change. Or we can just walk away feeling bad. Trust me, I feel bad -- I feel slandered, offended, taken out of context....I feel bad. You've made it clear how you feel.

Where do we go from here? I told you what I'd like to do.

426Buddy

426Buddy

What a silly discussion.

When you take information from a source, you cite where you got it. What is so hard about that? It doesnt matter what your intentions are for the information or your reasons for using it. You cite your sources, its professional and courteous. Its also a concept that has been around forever.

The only response necessary from Alien Theory is "sorry i copied some of your work word for word, i will go back and cite my videos and will continue to cite my sources in future videos"

There really is no other appropriate response here.

AlienTheory

AlienTheory

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 05, 2019, 05:15:02 PM
What a silly discussion.

When you take information from a source, you cite where you got it. What is so hard about that? It doesnt matter what your intentions are for the information or your reasons for using it. You cite your sources, its professional and courteous. Its also a concept that has been around forever.

The only response necessary from Alien Theory is "sorry i copied some of your work word for word, i will go back and cite my videos and will continue to cite my sources in future videos"

There really is no other appropriate response here.

Quote from: AlienTheory on Feb 05, 2019, 05:01:31 PM

I've made videos where I cite a source verbally, show a picture of the book on screen, name the book, name the author, go into the excerpt,  and still will get comments asking "where'd you get this information?" so I don't know. I really don't.

I agree this is a silly discussion because literally everyone's mind is made up here so I don't know. I really don't. Maybe it was a mistake coming here.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think the biggest complaint is your word-for-word recitation of Xenopedia entries, not books.  However, at least you're willing to work it out with Cruentus.  That's a good sign.

AlienTheory

AlienTheory

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 05:33:51 PM
I think the biggest complaint is your word-for-word recitation of Xenopedia entries, not books.  However, at least you're willing to work it out with Cruentus.  That's a good sign.

A book like the colonial marines tech manual for example, I don't mean limited to novels and stories etc.

I'm willing to work with Cruentus but I'm starting to see where this is all going and it's looking like the "Everyone walks away feeling bad" option is going to win.

Nostromo Revisited....pretty good video. Enjoyable. Little long. 6/10 from me.

Sorry Frosty Venom.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When it comes to the officially licensed material, I think you may be covered under fair use.

AlienTheory

AlienTheory

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 05:48:52 PM
When it comes to the officially licensed material, I think you may be covered under fair use.

Of course, as is the Xenopedia.

SiL

SiL

All anyone's asking is that when you quote Xenopedia word for word, just add a link to the relevant article in the description. That's it. It's really not that hard a concept.

AlienTheory

AlienTheory

Should that occasion arise I'll be sure to.

SiL

SiL

Will you be going back and linking articles in existing videos where you've clearly read parts word for word? Cruentus already posted one with time stamps.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

This reminds me that I really should become a more active contributor/editor for Xenopedia, and rebuild my AvP Let's Play videos and get them on YouTube.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: AlienTheory on Feb 05, 2019, 09:10:01 PM
Should that occasion arise I'll be sure to.

So you are denying that you didnt cite your sources? Even with the information provided by Cruentus?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed