AvPR
132 (16.9%)
Predators (Added 2/12/11)
20 (2.6%)
The Predator (Added 27/07/20)
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 727

Author
Favorite Predator Design (Read 164,626 times)

Kaltes

Kaltes

City Hunter for sure, though I greatly like the Jungle Hunter as well. Followed by Berserker and Wolf.

delfloria

delfloria

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2016, 08:34:06 AM
First off, welcome to the boards Robert! We always love having people involved in the series join us.

Quote from: delfloria on May 13, 2016, 08:20:53 AM
And to think all this might never have happen if Fox had not changed it's mind after putting the designs on hold while they contemplated replacing the Predator with the Alien from "Alien. Fortunately they changed their minds after a week or two and we went back to work. Robert Short

I don't think I've ever heard this story. Could you elaborate?

While my team was in the middle of the redesign, the studio thought that it would just be a lot less hassle to use an already existing creature they already owed than deal with trying to create a brand new creature after the Boss suit stalled. So, for a while the Predator concept was just going to be replaced by the alien. Needless to say I was disappointed because I thought we were onto some relatively cool designs at that point. For more info about the overall redesign phase you can check it out toward the bottom of the page at my website. http://www.robertshortfx.com/features.html

Kaltes

Kaltes

Celtic deserves a mention as well, hands down the best designed Predator of AVP, especially the bio mask.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: delfloria on Jun 08, 2016, 02:32:45 AM
While my team was in the middle of the redesign, the studio thought that it would just be a lot less hassle to use an already existing creature they already owed than deal with trying to create a brand new creature after the Boss suit stalled. So, for a while the Predator concept was just going to be replaced by the alien.

So the idea actually came from Fox? Interesting! Thanks for sharing - and the link!  :) Some of those I've only ever seen poor quality images of.

georgeromero

georgeromero

First off, welcome to the boards Robert! We always love having people involved in the series join us.

And to think all this might never have happen if Fox had not changed it's mind after putting the designs on hold while they contemplated replacing the Predator with the Alien from "Alien. Fortunately they changed their minds after a week or two and we went back to work. Robert Short

While my team was in the middle of the redesign, the studio thought that it would just be a lot less hassle to use an already existing creature they already owed than deal with trying to create a brand new creature after the Boss suit stalled. So, for a while the Predator concept was just going to be replaced by the alien. Needless to say I was disappointed because I thought we were onto some relatively cool designs at that point. For more info about the overall redesign phase you can check it out toward the bottom of the page at my website. http://www.robertshortfx.com/features.html

Thanks for sharing with us, very interesting piece of information. I did not know these things except for Van Damminator. I feel like it's an ultimate predator concept knowledge ;) It must be awesome to be one of the Predator creators even as a concept.

Bughunter S. Thomson

I think for me the film that City Hunter looks good in is Predator 2. And this is because the lighting; I've never been that keen on the Pred's eyes, I've always found them a bit goofy. Maybe no iris's would have been better. But when a shadow is cast over the Predators eye sockets and they are not that visible then I think it looks amazing, and a great example of that is the Slaughterhouse in Predator 2:

Although in Predator 2, the same Predator looks one of the worst. And again, it's because of the eyes:

I'm probably alone with the eye thing. I have always thought the Predator looked better masked.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I always thought the face FX in 1 &2 were the best despite some goofy shots of the eyes. I actually never noticed the eye issues in predator 1 until someone pointed them out to me.

serbip1

serbip1

The Jungle Hunter is the classic one, everybody loves it.But I really enjoyed the design of the Super Predators, especially Falconer, his mask is just mind-blowing!

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: serbip1 on Sep 21, 2016, 04:11:16 PM
I really enjoyed the design of the Super Predators, especially Falconer, his mask is just mind-blowing!

Same here, Berserker and Tracker looked amazing in my opinion.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I love the decoration on Berserker's mask. I think that kind of design choice is great. Adds personality to the design.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I think that all the predators except the ones in the first avp film are decent to some extent. First one is def my favorite but I kinda liked the second one as well.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the amazing insight on this. Really does shed a light on all those concepts and how they are positioned chronologically -- I was familiar with all of them but never could place them in the history of the concept phase. Brilliant. Thank you very much!

Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer

For me classic for obviously reason but I do love berserker. Just one mean predator

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I only ever liked the design of the original, mask and unmasked, never really liked any of the other ones at all, and I mean, at all. Just a preference I guess

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I prefer the face from the jungle hunter, the mask of the city hunter, the body armor of both. Also love wolf's design, badass ! The ones from Predators didn't do much for me, not menacing enough I think, except maybe for Berserker, I liked his mask, but the body wasn't great. Hated AVP's design like a lot of people lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed