Idea's of a Perfect Alien vs Predator film

Started by Predwars24, Feb 16, 2019, 09:23:49 PM

Author
Idea's of a Perfect Alien vs Predator film (Read 7,929 times)

Local Trouble

SM would make a good studio exec.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Feb 18, 2019, 11:26:36 PM
Aliens and Predator are both arguably the most popular of the series and both are, by and large, action movies.

Nah, Aliens is just 1 fish in the pond. Alien is a horror vehicle. Aliens was fun, but way off course. Isolation got it right. I'd rather see these characters packing flamethrowers, personal sidearms, and and a decent amount of intelligence.

SM

I'm not talking about what I'd rather see.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Feb 18, 2019, 11:33:52 PM
I'm not talking about what I'd rather see.

A match is lit in a darkened room, as two eyes stare at you through the flame.

"What is it, you'd rather see, SM?"

SM

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 18, 2019, 11:32:30 PM
Aliens was fun, but way off course.
The build up to the Aliens attacking Operations is probably the most tense sequence in the entire franchise. Action and horror don't cancel each other out. Hell, Dog Soldiers is another good example of a tense, scary flick that uses soldiers.

Huggs

I think Dallas in the vents is probably the most tense and fear inducing piece in the franchise. The music, the dialogue,  Everything was just top notch there. It still scares the hell out of me.

SM

Cameron took that scene, tracker, confusion and all, and dialled it up to 11.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2019, 01:08:22 AM
Cameron took the tracker trope from that scene and dialled it up to 11.

How so?

SM

Alien closing in, they can see it on the tracker, but everyone's asking 'where is it?'

Local Trouble

And it's used more often.

SM

Indeed.

Never use a good idea once when you can use it four times.  Five even.

Oasis Nadrama

"Popular" does not mean "good" or "respectful". The idea is a "perfect Alien vs Predator film".

If you asked me to write you a popular and successful Alien VS Predator movie, my proposition would be very different, and would probably include Marines and action.

Or I would simply recycle the comic book series, like the 1991 screenplay did. Works well enough if what we're aiming for is simply fanservice and efficiency.

SM

Quote"Popular" does not mean "good" or "respectful".

Neither do they have to be mutually exclusive.

Oasis Nadrama

I agree.

However, personally I think Space Marines and too much action are detrimental to a quality Alien story. I respect the opinion of people who don't think so, sure, but the idea of such a thread is to see what every member's personal take on a good AVP movie would be, right?

Well my personal take on a good AVP movie would be as hard-SF as possible, realistic, political, maybe slightly satirical to some extent (but subtly!), which mythological overtones, and definitely without Marines, and with limited action.

Which wouldn't mean no action at all - to me good action is tasteful but I envision it as a natural extension of the story's thematics and characters. Like, watch Evangelion or Madoka. See how all of the action scenes are necessary and directly answer both the characters and thematics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed