Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 145,785 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 06, 2012, 12:06:25 AM
I don't like that in 50 years they are already "Building better worlds" throughout the solar system. It's far too quick. The idea that they are building worlds works in ALIENS because it's set over 50 years after ALIEN.

I was really hoping that this movie would be the FIRST deep space mission that the human race has undertook. Now that's lost for me. And the whole thing is far too Dharma Initiative. I don't like the modern world featuring in an ALIEN movie through the Internet.

50 years is too quick to be having colonies in the solar system?  Why?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 06, 2012, 12:06:25 AMI don't like that in 50 years they are already "Building better worlds" throughout the solar system. It's far too quick.

I think one of the things that the speech was attempting to hi-lite was how quickly technology has been advancing in the last few decades. It is commonly referred to as exponential growth (which it isn't really) so if you imagine that this advancement continues apace then things could happen in fairly short amounts of time.

-Chris

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2012, 12:12:15 AM
Because we aren't anywhere near that kind of technology now. And the way the world economy is going (and has gone--any hope for space travel started dying in the 70s and was killed off in the 80s) we probably won't be by then, if ever. Space exploration is a dying dream.

SM

SM

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 06, 2012, 12:13:48 AM
Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 06, 2012, 12:06:25 AMI don't like that in 50 years they are already "Building better worlds" throughout the solar system. It's far too quick.

I think one of the things that the speech was attempting to hi-lite was how quickly technology has been advancing in the last few decades. It is commonly referred to as exponential growth (which it isn't really) so if you imagine that this advancement continues apace then things could happen in fairly short amounts of time.

-Chris

Yeah.  It's 60-odd years from now (in a fictional universe no less).

Once you'd set up a lunar base, you could conceivably do it on any of the other moons in the solar system.  And if they're talking about terraforming - they all you could really do is Venus, Mars and Titan I think.  The trick is doing it in a way that's cost effective and obviously by 2073 this fictional company has done just that.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 12:15:02 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2012, 12:12:15 AM
Because we aren't anywhere near that kind of technology now. And the way the world economy is going (and has gone--any hope for space travel started dying in the 70s and was killed off in the 80s) we probably won't be by then, if ever. Space exploration is a dying dream.

The privatization of space is something that has been happening already and is picking up pace today. The Weyland Corp site mentions that "Weyland Corporation became a worldwide leader in emerging technologies and launched the first privatized industrial mission to leave the planet Earth."

This is not NASA but a giant conglomeration with virtually endless resources.

-Chris

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 06, 2012, 12:21:44 AM
The privatization of space is something that has been happening already and is picking up pace today.
Not really. And certainly nothing on the scale of achieving 63 colonies in the space of seventy measly years. We haven't even set foot on the moon since 1972. The technology boom of the mid-20th century has slowed to a crawl--the biggest advances we've made have been in gadgets. We haven't even been able to come up with decent alternative to fossil fuels yet.

Still, it's science fiction and will all depend on the execution, I suppose. We'll see.

The worrying explanation for the accelerated 'quantum leap' in technological achievement is that Weyland Corp has already found and decoded (stolen?) some elements of Space Jockey technology. It was mentioned in the TED talk metadata that there was a 3 year media blackout prior to the announcement that Weyland wanted to change the world. That could possibly be the time period when the rumoured archaeological dig happened. Star maps, novel space travel technology etc. Kind of like the blueprints for 'the machine' from Contact.

Lets face it, that was effectively the story in Terminator 2 - a piece of future technology winding up in the present day, giving Cyberdyne cutting edge technology 'that we would never have thought of' etc.   

I dont like the idea but it certainly gives a reason for Peter Weyland to bring up Prometheus in his speech. Also the mention of his mother, being a Professor of Comparative Mythology. She could be a factor in the tracing and decoding of the knowledge.

And of course, the naming of the starship as "Prometheus".

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 06, 2012, 12:48:13 AM
The worrying explanation for the accelerated 'quantum leap' in technological achievement is that Weyland Corp has already found and decoded (stolen?) some elements of Space Jockey technology. It was mentioned in the TED talk metadata that there was a 3 year media blackout prior to the announcement that Weyland wanted to change the world. That could possibly be the time period when the rumoured archaeological dig happened. Star maps, novel space travel technology etc. Kind of like the blueprints for 'the machine' from Contact.

Lets face it, that was effectively the story in Terminator 2 - a piece of future technology winding up in the present day, giving Cyberdyne cutting edge technology 'that we would never have thought of' etc.   

I dont like the idea but it certainly gives a reason for Peter Weyland to bring up Prometheus in his speech. Also the mention of his mother, being a Professor of Comparative Mythology. She could be a factor in the tracing and decoding of the knowledge.

And of course, the naming of the starship as "Prometheus".

Yes I think that may come into play. I don't mind it so much though, as long as they leave out the time travel bits.

-Chris

SM

SM

The Yanks launched Al Shephered into space in 1961 and then landed on the moon 8 years later.

Be a shame if they went down that Chariots of the Gods road - though it all depends on how it's handled.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 12:31:18 AM
Not really.

Yes. Really. There have been dozens of manned and unmanned pet projects coming into fruition in the last ten years. Corporations are talking about their own private fleets for tourism and business. Talks of private citizens going into space. There are even many people hitting the high side of forty working together to be the first to colonize Mars if and when that mission begins. Their goal is to spend the rest of their lives on Mars, paving the way as proverbial Johnny Appleseed's for the next generation of human beings to live on Mars.

There are plans, and where NASA is starting to fade, others are looking to the sky. China and Russia are very interested in space, and though nothing is yet concrete, they are planning things. Other, smaller nations have been planning various unmanned and manned missions back to the moon and mars for the last fifteen years. Just because it's not happening "yet" does not mean we won't see a huge BOOM within the next half a century. An awful lot can, and does, happen in half a century.

chupacabras acheronsis

if the house of cards that is the economy doesn't crumble first.

realistic or not, it's not the first time Sci-fi turns out to be wrong. we've got to asume it's a different reality with different things happening. because that's what fiction is.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 06, 2012, 12:48:13 AM

This makes sense. Although if true, I feel like they would be trying to make things overly complicated to seem smart. I'd feel better about them just pacing the historical evolution of technology at a more reasonable pace.
But it's science fiction right! Although I always like when science fiction seems plausible.

SM

SM

Don't think we're going to have Nexus 6 replicants hijacking off world shuttles anytime soon.

chupacabras acheronsis

all of Blade Runner's problems can be solved by replacing a zero with a one in the date.

SM

SM

And factoring in the miraculous return of Pan Am and Atari.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed