Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 81,504 times)

Russ840

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 15, 2018, 08:28:29 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Oct 15, 2018, 07:11:06 PM
I had no problems with ideas he puts forward.  Just their execution, which is poor as a result of studio meddling.  I like that he wanted to expand things. Otherwise we end up with stagnant carbon copies of previous films.

I agree on numerous points regarding bad execution (there are also greatly executed shots/ideas too), but we must admit that for a classic predator fan it was always deemed to be a very weird and polarizing experience.

I can't argue with that.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 15, 2018, 02:23:42 PM
Gerald Butler, haha.

Good one.

I knew Gerald Butler. He was an a**hole.  :D

The Old One

The Old One

:laugh:

dHunter333

So after the China release, this movie will probably surpass 150 million worldwide, correct? That loses money, but doesn't lose THAT much. A future Predator movie may not be a dismal as I previously thought...

Whos_Nick

Problem is they likely spent 150 between production, marketing, and costly reshoots.

The Old One

The Old One

China?

"It won't make any difference."

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: dHunter333 on Oct 17, 2018, 12:14:05 AM
So after the China release, this movie will probably surpass 150 million worldwide, correct? That loses money, but doesn't lose THAT much. A future Predator movie may not be a dismal as I previously thought...
With China and france involved (China a likely gross between 24 - 30 m and france between 4 - 5 m) this movie will break even. Not what FOX wanted, but that opens the door for a nice return in home video versus just breaking even and no money at all. So when everything is set and done, it will be profitable.

goose_3387

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 17, 2018, 09:22:50 AM
With China and france involved (China a likely gross between 24 - 30 m and france between 4 - 5 m) this movie will break even. Not what FOX wanted, but that opens the door for a nice return in home video versus just breaking even and no money at all. So when everything is set and done, it will be profitable.

Hopefully not profitable enough for them to move forward with a sequel to The Predator.

Just enough to see something new (again...).

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: goose_3387 on Oct 17, 2018, 09:45:29 AM

Hopefully not profitable enough for them to move forward with a sequel to The Predator.

Definitely no direct sequel to The Predator, but likely a sequel with a new incursion and plot in a couple of years, so in line with the others.

I smile everytime someone says "Predator is done"... it truly is not, the possibilities and storys are endless with the character, it's one of the advantages of not having the franchise connected to a single character, also the character is so versatile, the variations and costumes, weapons, armour... you can start fresh with every sequel and still have it play in the same sandbox.

I'm pretty damn happy that i get the chance to visit my favourite movie monster every couple of years in a real movie theater.

Compare it to other monster/Sci-fi franchises over the years, just a couple that pop up in my mind:

Tremors --> Direct to DvD
Pumpkinhead --> Direct to DvD --> Dead
Starship Troopers --> Direct to DvD
Critters --> Direct to DvD --> Dead
X-Tro --> Direct to DvD --> Dead
The Thing --> Dead

Predator is actually doing pretty good, in comparison. The fans are still there, and while it's not doing Blockbuster numbers, there is still money to be made.

CityhunterinPhilly

Quote from: goose_3387 on Oct 17, 2018, 09:45:29 AM

Exactly!

BigDaddyJohn

Trust me, it won't do those numbers in France  :laugh:

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 17, 2018, 01:04:14 PM

Trust me, it won't do those numbers in France  :laugh:
My estimates are possible, those are numbers based on past Predator movies, if you compare Predators to The Predator international Boxoffice, they are roughly the same, with some countries outperforming past revenues by far (In Mexico it already did over twice as much as Predators, it also did more in Russia and Thailand, just to name a few).

It's very likely France will be no exception and it will do a little more than Predators, which would be 4 - 5 million. We'll see.

BigDaddyJohn

I'm french, trust me french people are not that interested in predator in 2018  ;)

Kailem

Kailem

If Predators didn't do well enough to warrant a direct follow-up (despite Robert Rodriguez mentioning that Fox had talked about wanting one at the time) then no way The Predator will get one either.

Wysps

Wysps

This. Granted, anything is possible, however if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that we're safe from The Predator Killer. Still wish I knew what exactly happened with Rodriguez and the sequel - like anything other than the whole "less than desired numbers" for Predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed