Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,421 times)

Voodoo Magic

I am going to speak mostly about Predator here, but I go to the local comic shop regularly  (I have a pull list) and still see Alien & Predator everywhere.  The Predator Essential Comics Vol.1 is eye-level as soon as you enter the shop on a graphic novel rack, and the new release shelf has copies of Williams Gibson's Alien 3 as well as some remaining copies of Predator: Hunters II

My local Target has a dedicated shelf with a ton of NECA Predator figures including the Bad Blood vs Enforcer 2-pack, Ahab , Fugitive and now the Thermal Vision Predator which I was checking out last night actually.

Basically, there's plenty of places the demographic in question gets exposure to Predator. Heck, just the memes alone riffing "Get to the chopper!" and the "You son of a bitch" handshake that circulates in young fan communities feeds general awareness.

It's like my super homegirl, Alien fan, The Sailing Rabbit. (I hope she doesn't mind me bringing her up).  I believe she fits the demographic in question and she has never seen "The Terminator" or "Terminator 2 Judgment Day". But she knows what the Terminator is.  And if tech noir cybernetic organisms was her thing, I'm certain she would be all over that. And I believe the same thing goes with Alien and Predator.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2019, 01:13:46 PM
It's like my super homegirl, Alien fan, The Sailing Rabbit. (I hope she doesn't mind me bringing her up).  I believe she fits the demographic in question and she has never seen "The Terminator" or "Terminator 2 Judgment Day". But she knows what the Terminator is.  And if tech noir cybernetic organisms was her thing, I'm certain she would be all over that. And I believe the same thing goes with Alien and Predator.

I'm just in it to see Michael Biehn, dude.

Let's see what I think afterwards.

Voodoo Magic

You are going TO LOVE IT!!!

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 11:30:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:28:20 AM
Growing up I didn't know anyone my age who was interested and yet here I am, surrounded by people my age who've been interested as long as me.

Personal peer groups are awful sample sizes.

High school - nobody interested
College - some knew what it was but didn't like it
Work force - a couple older folks like it, but nobody my age does.

The only reason people here like it is because this is a FAN site. This is a conglomerate of people coming together for these IPs.

Most younger people know who Thanos is but not what a Xenomorph is.

Also depends how old you are... I'm 31 and plenty of people my age and younger love it, trust me !

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2019, 01:13:46 PM
I am going to speak mostly about Predator here, but I go to the local comic shop regularly  (I have a pull list) and still see Alien & Predator everywhere.  The Predator Essential Comics Vol.1 is eye-level as soon as you enter the shop on a graphic novel rack, and the new release shelf has copies of Williams Gibson's Alien 3 as well as some remaining copies of Predator: Hunters II

My local Target has a dedicated shelf with a ton of NECA Predator figures including the Bad Blood vs Enforcer 2-pack, Ahab , Fugitive and now the Thermal Vision Predator which I was checking out last night actually.

Basically, there's plenty of places the demographic in question gets exposure to Predator. Heck, just the memes alone riffing "Get to the chopper!" and the "You son of a bitch" handshake that circulates in young fan communities feeds general awareness.

Must be nice. My area doesn't have that. I've searched a 35 mile radius at every Target. Most I ever saw was a single Broken Tusk figure. That was the first and last time since...I'm convinced Ebay scalpers are to blame though. As for comic shops, I've had mixed results. I had to drive 2 hours away to Orlando to find AvP/Aliens/Predator comics in abundance. In my local area, I only found the most recent Predator Comic, Hunters Vol 1. Nothing else though. And I go regularly to these locations in search of merch.

Voodoo Magic

Your area is not very AVP friendly it seems.  :-\ Sorry brother!

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2019, 02:21:27 PM
Your area is not very AVP friendly it seems.  :-\ Sorry brother!

It's been awhile since I went to the Target in my area, so I haven't figured out if they carry NECA or not.

Original Predator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 09, 2019, 11:13:07 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 09, 2019, 10:07:03 PM
"I'm sick of FOX p-issing on my leg and their fans telling me it's raining.  Even though it's been proven it's NOT rain, the fans still insist it is....." sorta thing.
That's still just "Anyone who disagrees with me is delusional and wrong."

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 09, 2019, 10:46:11 PM
Punisher: Dirty Laundry. Loved it.
Yes! I couldn't remember the name.

Not really...considering there have been 4 movies that have proven the true "delusion" and the "wrong" part....Sh-t directing, poorly executed concept, poorly executing editing, poorly executed story telling, forcing multiple plot expansion points, that don't piece together smoothly etc...aren't an "opinion".

At this point the only delusion is avoiding the topic completely (as you've done) and pretending "everything is fine" with this franchise.

Keep shouting "The Nice Guys!!" or "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!!" tho.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 10, 2019, 04:30:48 PM
"I'm sick of FOX p-issing on my leg and their fans telling me it's raining.  Even though it's been proven it's NOT rain, the fans still insist it is....." sorta thing.

Not really...considering there have been 4 movies that have proven the true "delusion" and the "wrong" part....Sh-t directing, poorly executed concept, poorly executing editing, poorly executed story telling, forcing multiple plot expansion points, that don't piece together smoothly etc...aren't an "opinion".

At this point the only delusion is avoiding the topic completely (as you've done) and pretending "everything is fine" with this franchise.

Still is an opinion though.

BigDaddyJohn

Who said that ? And why do you never mention the few good ideas rightly executed in this movie ? If you do, will this burn your fingers while you're typing or what ? Most people don't have this problem when it comes to Predators or the Alien prequels.

SiL

I haven't avoided the topic, you just can't seem to handle people disagreeing with you. An internet forum may not be the best place for you.

Huggs

Corporal Hicks

I do have a sense of humour.  :P

Original Predator

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 10, 2019, 05:09:43 PM

Not really.  Even the simplest film class would be able to pick out the basic flaws/mechanics of this movie and the previous.  It's like taking a Lit-class and learning about run-on sentences or incorrect usage of "their/there/they're" etc.  You can ignore them all you want but they are there.  There are fact based things and fundamental flaws in this movie that are high-school level from a billion dollar company.  That side of things isn't "opinion".  "Opinion" would be "i'm choosing to ignore them and still like the movie...." or "They distracted the crap out of me and I didn't like the movie...." etc....

But you can't deny the facts of this movie.  I hate to say that even from a basic story-board perspective that both AVP's and Predators were fundamentally put together and edited better than The Predator. 

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 11, 2019, 05:04:16 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 10, 2019, 05:09:43 PM

Not really.  Even the simplest film class would be able to pick out the basic flaws/mechanics of this movie and the previous.  It's like taking a Lit-class and learning about run-on sentences or incorrect usage of "their/there/they're" etc.  You can ignore them all you want but they are there.  There are fact based things and fundamental flaws in this movie that are high-school level from a billion dollar company.  That side of things isn't "opinion".  "Opinion" would be "i'm choosing to ignore them and still like the movie...." or "They distracted the crap out of me and I didn't like the movie...." etc....

But you can't deny the facts of this movie.  I hate to say that even from a basic story-board perspective that both AVP's and Predators were fundamentally put together and edited better than The Predator.

If people enjoy a work of art, they enjoy a work of art. That is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact. They do or they don't.

Nobody said the movie was flawless on a technical level, far from it. But if that does not prevent somebody from enjoying it or part of it, than that is a fact. Not an opinion.

If i say, based on the fact that i enjoyed this and that part of that movie, in my opinion it is an alright movie despite all it's flaws. Than my opinion is that it is an alrighty moviet. The enjoyment of this and that part is fact. Subjective yes, but still a fact.

People don't have the opinion that they enjoy a movie despite it's flaws or are delusional, they just do.

What you are claiming is the only objectively right thing is to not enjoy it or parts of it, which is again, your opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed