Ridley looking to film in Australia

Started by T Dog, Sep 30, 2015, 01:03:53 PM

Author
Ridley looking to film in Australia (Read 24,285 times)

T Dog

T Dog

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/30/ridley-scott-meets-julie-bishop-to-discuss-plans-to-film-in-australia

Which begs the question. Will he be looking to shoot the Engineer World in the Outback or in some super lush tropical location?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 30, 2015, 01:03:53 PM
Which begs the question. Will he be looking to shoot the Engineer World in the Outback or in some super lush tropical location?

Nah, he's probably just after studio space.

QuoteScott was last seen in Australia in 2014 when he took a tour of Sydney's Fox studios, prompting rumours that he was scouting for film locations.

If the Engineer Homeworld is going to be some kind of bio-mechanical construct it will probably use purpose built sets and CGI. LV-426 in Alien and Aliens was all built indoors at Pinewood and Shepperton back in the day.

But then again, you never know with Ridley maybe he will use the Outback as well.

T Dog

T Dog

I'm just wondering why he would have to be cutting deals then if it's in FOx's studio?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 30, 2015, 02:08:11 PM
I'm just wondering why he would have to be cutting deals then if it's in FOx's studio?

It's probably about the government rebates. It's quite likely that Canada's movie production incentives and tax rebates would be much more appealing than those currently on offer from Australia. So you could have the situation where it could be more economical to film in Canada using a third-party's studio rather than Fox using their own studios in Sydney.

Scott might prefer the facilities or extra soundstage space that the Sydney studios offer and is trying to convince Fox to allow him to use it by sucking-up to the politicians and trying to get better incentives.

This is all purely conjecture though.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 30, 2015, 02:36:47 PM

It's probably about the government rebates. It's quite likely that Canada's movie production incentives and tax rebates would be much more appealing than those currently on offer from Australia. So you could have the situation where it could be more economical to film in Canada using a third-party's studio rather than Fox using their own studios in Sydney.

Scott might prefer the facilities or extra soundstage space that the Sydney studios offer and is trying to convince Fox to allow him to use it by sucking-up to the politicians and trying to get better incentives.

You are probably right!
I wonder where he'll use though for the external shots like how he used Jordan for some of the exteriors in Prometheus.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 30, 2015, 02:36:47 PM

Rebates perhaps, but they don't typically worry too much about that with films of this caliber.
It is more likely due to finding an ideal location for both Interior and Exterior aspects of the shoot, that saves them production costs all around. For Interiors - set building in soundstages, its about the needs of the set and location to exteriors that correspond ie; finding a location for the soundstages that can accommodate their needs but is ideally located for the External -on location shooting as well while also saving them enormous salaries for actors. They will consider these things based on need and which actors schedules will factor into the shoot. For instance, if they have 2 months to use Michael Fassbender, and he will be needed for most of the interior and external shoots, it will save them millions of dollars to not have to do giant company moves to different countries or worse have multiple units in different countries. You can imagine that using Michael Fass for an extra 2 weeks might cost a lot...and then they will most likely have to arrange for reshoots and pickups anyway. They will most likely need to do this multiple locations to some extent anyway, but its a puzzle. Does the stage space accommodate the needs of the film, and can they get all of x actors scenes shot in y amount of time, without losing or wasting money, and will it be cheaper to fly crew in or use local? For something like this, department heads and above the line workers will make those decisions with the Line Producer and UPM who will be trying to please Ridley Scott because he will want certain things.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

That's nice but we were talking about why Ridley was lobbying the Australian government.

He obviously wants special concessions that only the government can give. That could be incentives/rebates or a permit to shoot in an ecologically sensitive place. It's not the governments job to do location scouting for foreign film companies.

Immortan Jonesy

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Oct 02, 2015, 05:37:54 PM
Ridley Scott confirms he's preparing to film Prometheus 2 in Sydney in January

""I'm one of those people who can multitask — I'm drawing the bridge of the next spaceship."
Cool!

Robot Sentry

I've always felt that Pinewood Studios is part of the "Alien" franchise DNA. Although now I'm remembering that the original Alien was shot at Shepperton Studios.

I do love watching the bts docs on the Quad/Anthology and hearing how Pinewood's sound stages were so rusted and run down back in the 80's that the Aliens effects crew used it for textural reference on the weather-battered structures of Hadley's Hope.

Perfect-Organism

I presume this is a reference to a human ship.  The juggernaut "bridge" is pretty much a given that it will stay the same (you never know).  So we have Shaw and David heading to the Engineer homeworld and a human ship somehow involved.  I presume a lot but well, I do.  Interesting.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Would be middle of summer in Sydney when they start filming so would certainly be nicer than freezing Toronto.

Robot Sentry

"Lost Heads" in the article title? David's head is misplaced on the stolen Engineer Juggernaut and the entire film is Shaw in zero gravity searching the cavernous ship for the android's noggin.

NickisSmart

Ridley is my hero.

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 01, 2015, 08:29:10 AM
That's nice but we were talking about why Ridley was lobbying the Australian government.

He obviously wants special concessions that only the government can give. That could be incentives/rebates or a permit to shoot in an ecologically sensitive place. It's not the governments job to do location scouting for foreign film companies.

Yeah. It wont be about rebates. I'm a working Production Manager and Assistant Director. No one care about rebates on something that size. All films have to in some way deal with government to get concessions only the government can give. Even small films. For permits and the like. Also to alert local economies, get location agreements, permits to shoot in parks, tap into electricity, blow things up, utilize local law enforcement,... all those things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed