SPOOKY MOVIE MONTH 2022

Started by Xenomrph, Sep 03, 2022, 01:34:54 AM

Author
SPOOKY MOVIE MONTH 2022 (Read 2,049 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

October is right around the corner, and you know what that means? SPOOKY MOVIE MONTH! What is Spooky Movie Month? It's where people celebrate spooky movies and watch a whole ton of them for the month of October!

Some people who celebrate Spooky Movie Month participate in the SPOOKY MOVIE MONTH CHALLENGE! What is that, you ask? That's where you watch (at least) 31 spooky movies in 31 days! I have been a participant for the past 6 or so years, and it's a good time.

Each year I like to do some kind of theme or "gimmick" to keep it interesting - last year I strictly watched movies I'd never seen before, the year before that I stuck to strictly movies I personally owned but hadn't watched the disc yet (even if I'd seen the movie before), and the year before that I played "blackout" on a randomized Spooky Movie Month bingo card I made.

I have a personal overriding rule that I can't watch the same movie twice in consecutive years, as well.

What constitutes a spooky movie? Does it have to be a horror movie?
NO! Spooky movies can be scary, but they don't have to be and don't need to fit the strict definition of horror movies, they just need to be spooky-themed in some way. Want to watch 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown', or 'Hocus Pocus', or 'A Nightmare Before Christmas'? Go nuts! The whole point of Spooky Movie Month is to have fun and watch and talk about spooky movies, make up your own rules and gimmicks and have a good time.

This year my theme is horror anthologies, I've already got them picked out but their order will be randomized each day so I don't actually know what I'll be watching day by day.

Let's talk about spooky movies! Got any ideas or suggestions? Themes or gimmicks? Favorite spooky movies you watch every year?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

SPOOKY MOVIE MONTH 2022 HAS BEGUN.

Tonight I am watching 'Tales from the Crypt' (1972)

What are you guys watching?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Had a pretty free day today, so I ended up spending it watching four films to kick off Spook Month:

Werewolf of London (1935)
The Back Cat (1934)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

I've seen Caligari before, but the other three were first time viewings.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm watching Halloween 3 right now.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 03:25:01 AMI'm watching Halloween 3 right now.
Tangentially related, I'm very much looking forward to Halloween Ends.

1. Tales from the Crypt (1972), Tubi

Neat little movie, but what stood out the most was how out-of-place the "three wishes" story was compared to the others - the other stories were all about how horrible the people were and them getting their comeuppance, but the guy in the "three wishes" story seemed okay and kind of got shafted by his wife's shitty monkey's-paw wishes. Like, the implication of each of the stories is that the person sees how they could have averted their own horrible fate by not being a shitty person, but his fate seemed unavoidable unless he just chooses to ignore his friend's phone call and not drive to him, or forbid his wife from making any wishes I guess. I also don't know who the dude on the motorcycle was supposed to be, or if he was a red herring, or what. They frame him all menacingly leading up to the crash and then he's never brought up again.

Peter Cushing out of nowhere was a nice surprise. I wasn't even sure it was him until the credits rolled.

Also I like how in the final story the blind guys basically built an excessive, over-complicated Saw trap to punish the superintendent, frankly I was expecting them to just, you know, blind him.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ever seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 04:55:01 AMEver seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes?
Not yet, but I have it bookmarked somewhere.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 02, 2022, 05:25:35 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 04:55:01 AMEver seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes?

It's pretty sick and I'm not easily disturbed by horror flicks.  I figured you'd have the limited edition steelbook.

SiL

SiL

That's one of my favourite found footage movies. Like most of then the end is a bit whatever but the vibe sticks with you.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 05:27:17 AM

It's pretty sick and I'm not easily disturbed by horror flicks.  I figured you'd have the limited edition steelbook.

What's the deal with Xenomrph and steelbooks ?

SiL

SiL

Xenomrph has a lot of steel books so Local Trouble must bring it up every chance he can.

This is the way.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 03:25:01 AMI'm watching Halloween 3 right now.

Silver Shamrock

Quote from: SiL on Oct 02, 2022, 11:13:20 AMXenomrph has a lot of steel books so Local Trouble must bring it up every chance he can.

This is the way.

I see

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

On the docket today was a rewatch of Nosferatu (1922) and first-time viewings of The Raven (1935) and Near Dark (1987).

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 02, 2022, 05:27:17 AM

It's pretty sick and I'm not easily disturbed by horror flicks.

I will definitely watch it.. :o

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

2. Trilogy of Terror (1975), Amazon Video

This one was... alright. I appreciated that the three stories were distinctly different, but the first one was easily the best one. I genuinely didn't see the
Spoiler
"she's a black widow"
[close]
twist coming, and I liked it. The second story I kind of predicted the "twist" almost immediately, and it was confirmed for me when the lead actress was playing two parts. It felt like it was the shortest of the three stories, and I'm glad because I was afraid it would belabor the point and overstay its welcome, which it didn't - once it started to get a little on-the-nose, it ended. The third story was wacky and silly, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. It's the only one with any real "supernatural" element which was a bit of a change of pace, and didn't try to be any deeper or more meaningful than it needed to be, haha. It's just got a killer tribal doll running around a hotel room trying to stab a person for like 20 minutes, and that's it.

3. Southbound (2015), blu-ray

This was a repeat viewing, and I still like it. I like that each story pretty much flows right into the next
Spoiler
before wrapping around in a loop
[close]
, I think it works well and is an interesting way to handle a lack of a framing narrative. I like how (most of) the movie has a sort of surreal dreamlike quality where things are happening around the characters and they feel off and the characters kind of recognize that things are off but keep going with it. The purgatory demons (for lack of a better term) are creepy and weird and are a huge stand-out in the first and last stories, but I think my favorite story is the highway accident story. I think my least favorite would have to be the brother/sister rescue story, it wasn't very dreamlike like the others and it kind of didn't go anywhere, I dunno.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed