Alien Covenant: Walter Part of David’s Plan?

Started by City Hunter Yautja, Jul 26, 2021, 01:39:16 AM

Author
Alien Covenant: Walter Part of David’s Plan? (Read 5,331 times)

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: David Weyland on Jul 29, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
David probably has skeleton key like access to the Weyland Yutani cpu mainframe. Certain keywords could initiate things as he pleased.

David uploaded into Walter rather than physically maimed himself etc
It's beyond rationale that David did all he did in less than 5 minutes to pass as Walter.
You can tell by the cut on Walter's cheek during the end scene of their fight-I believe Walter succumbed to reign in hell- When back aboard the Covenant the film tries to emphasise this identical cut on 'Walter's' face with the stapling of the cheek scar scene with Daniels and remains prominent visually with the stitches for the remainder of the Motion Picture

The Title of the film in my view is not about the ship but the Covenant, the agreement if you will between the two androids.

I am swayed by your Skeleton key idea. Weyland called David his son in Prometheus. So likely all Weyland property David can access.

The Covenant between David and Walter is intriguing. I thought the covenant was between David and the Xeno, that this Typojem god was going to be what David brought to the galaxy.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I think the plot twist can be easily seen as a classic film narrative from the old black and white days. It wasn't written completely clearly and thus we can only assume alot of stuff. I believe this was on purpose to keep us guessing with very little information to go on. Its not necessarily genius but it does its job.
But for the sake of storytelling and the ability to score a sequel, its got it's place.
But to offer up conjecture, i think that really still is Walter (not david in that body, the only take away is that Daniels alluded to a change in tone for Walter and not a really allusion that he is someone else....as they aren't twins or distant brothers,they are models of a form of inheritted programming) in there and he always had his own motivations much like the Ash models did.

Spoiler
The real shit thing for me was all Daniels had said to Walter was "will you help me build the cabin ...the cabin by the lake" and for some reason (maybe a change in script), she suddenly felt jolted that Walter has changed and immediate thought of David (someone whom she didn't know at all). There was no reason for her to justify saying he was David. No real indication that his motives had changed. It was just a sudden and disconnected reason that either was intentional or meant to steer the audience. She could have had feelings, but she might have had the same feelings with Tenneasee.
This one scene would have proved that for an instance there might be a future together but by Walter just stating at her, she immediately felt discomfort. Maybe that was the reason.

In the end, we see Walter change his voice and use his credentials. so it all went to pot anyways.
[close]

Stitch

Quote from: acrediblesource on Sep 22, 2021, 07:55:22 PM
I think the plot twist can be easily seen as a classic film narrative from the old black and white days. It wasn't written completely clearly and thus we can only assume alot of stuff. I believe this was on purpose to keep us guessing with very little information to go on. Its not necessarily genius but it does its job.
But for the sake of storytelling and the ability to score a sequel, its got it's place.
But to offer up conjecture, i think that really still is Walter (not david in that body, the only take away is that Daniels alluded to a change in tone for Walter and not a really allusion that he is someone else....as they aren't twins or distant brothers,they are models of a form of inheritted programming) in there and he always had his own motivations much like the Ash models did.

Spoiler
The real shit thing for me was all Daniels had said to Walter was "will you help me build the cabin ...the cabin by the lake" and for some reason (maybe a change in script), she suddenly felt jolted that Walter has changed and immediate thought of David (someone whom she didn't know at all). There was no reason for her to justify saying he was David. No real indication that his motives had changed. It was just a sudden and disconnected reason that either was intentional or meant to steer the audience. She could have had feelings, but she might have had the same feelings with Tenneasee.
This one scene would have proved that for an instance there might be a future together but by Walter just stating at her, she immediately felt discomfort. Maybe that was the reason.

In the end, we see Walter change his voice and use his credentials. so it all went to pot anyways.
[close]
And all of that in the spoiler text is why I think it's David, not Walter. No regeneration, no memories, and a deliberate scene showing him cutting his hair to look like Walter. There's no transfer of consciousness going on, David just stole his 'brother's clothes.

Voodoo Magic

Unfortunately, I think as fans, we sometimes do mental gymnastics to make things work or appear smarter than it is. I've been 100% guilty of this.

David Weyland

David Weyland

I accept the simpler David just killed Walter and mimicked him exactly and the cheat of time of what we see on screen and all the tasks that David had to do.
So be it. It's poorer for it.

However, the potential and idea of David uploading into Walter is more interesting and makes better sense.

In respect of David cutting his hair, I think his intentions although nefarious was partially to identify with and turn Walter as well as using it as a potential advantage should his intentions to get off Planet 4 are confronted.

Before that occurs David spends his time trying to persuade Walter before attempting to kill him

Regarding regeneration etc. of Walter's model. I think that only went as far as an emergency reboot.
David thought he knew exactly how to disable Walter permanently in one action. That to me was the 'update'

The film itself doesn't explicitly highlight or show Walter getting even a minor cut and it healing instantly.

I also question that final pained look back by David after killing Walter etc before running for the ship.
What was that for? Elizabeth Shaw ? All his Work ? Or maybe his own body?

But back on topic, I honestly think there was something intended whether to confuse or reinforce with That Scar that is made so visually prominent.

Thoughts on Re: If David did upload to Walter, why couldn't he recall the Cabin on the Lake?

David took over physically and could very probably mimic Walter's voice anyway (Oh yeah, remember how damaged David's voice box is in that final fight scene? Did he fix that too?)& would have all the knowledge and access of Weyland Yutani to operate as he pleased so that wasn't inherent to Walter.

In the staple the scar scene when speaking with Daniels, David replies with 'It's my duty' , something he heard Walter say earlier rather than knew from Walter's memory.
Therefore in upload, Walter's memories and personality were subjugated or wiped arrogantly as superfluous in David's view in achieving his wider aims.

Anyway all too deep silly and wishful thinking and I know the preposterous physical switch is what's presented but I'd like to think the scar was trying to hint at something.

Although he does say a lot, Ridley gave this interview in 2017 and was commentating on AI creating its own language and gave this interesting quote in relation to this idea:

'"They put two AIs together and they were communing," he said. "It already invented a f**king language!

"And they couldn't decipher what the language was so they had to switch them off. What was said and where's it gone? They could have already implemented something we don't know."

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a844668/alien-ridley-scott-teases-whats-next-franchise/

Highland

Theres a lot of reading in here but it can't be Walter. David has the embryos inside of him, so that's the end of that debate as far as I watched it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed