"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,299 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 03, 2020, 10:57:37 PM
Ridley's vision for the prequels never had anything to do with this franchise and should have stayed out of it.
Amen. it's clear that he never wanted to make Alien prequels in the first place, and right from jump the prequels should have been their own unique and original sci-fi story.

SiL

To be fair he wasn't going to. Carl Rinsch was going to helm the project, but Fox said Scott or nobody.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PVC on Sep 04, 2020, 08:36:03 AM
with the xenoshark in it
The little guy moving and killing differently    And david using it to make THE perfect organism

Swap out "xenoshark" for the Neomorph and that's just Covenant.

TheBATMAN

Sounds like the third script that was already written at the time of Covenant's release may bave been tossed out.

Evanus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 11:11:13 PM
Having a pretentious "message" doesn't make a movie good or enjoyable

I mean, I really enjoy Alien: Covenant. Not because of whatever "pretentious message" you're referring to, but because I found the ideas that the film was putting forth to be very fascinating, both on their own to feet and within the larger context of the Alien series.

Ridley's vision for the prequels never had anything to do with this franchise and should have stayed out of it.

Not true. Prometheus began life as a direct Alien prequel and, while it started to distance itself from that structure during pre-production, it never pushed itself out of that franchise. It re-interpreted many of the core ideas and twisted many of the concepts that we thought meant one thing on their head (which, I totally understand pissing people off) but at its core, it still was very much ingrained with the DNA of the Alien movie and the Space Jockey mystery and played on those familiar ideas while presenting them with material totally new to the series.

Androids (which have been prominent since the first film and have been a staple since), the nature of creation and lineage (which initially manifested with the parallels between Ripley and the Queen's presentations of motherhood in Aliens and was further expanded upon more directly in Alien: Resurrection with humans finally getting to meddle in affairs that they simply cannot control), and the religious subtext (which drove Alien 3) all have roots in the original four films and expanding on them in the prequels feels like material ripe for the picking to me.

I'm not saying you, or anybody for that matter, has to like them. I myself have a ton of problems with Prometheus, from a filmmaking perspective, despite my pretty unabashed love of Alien: Covenant (which I do also have problems with, but hey, nothing is perfect). But I don't think it is fair to say that Ridley's "take" on the material wasn't appropriate for the series or should have stayed out of it. At the end of the day, its just a couple of movies that whoever comes in next to take over the reigns are probably going to gloss over anyways - every filmmaker that's come into the series has basically always glossed over whatever the previous films have done in order to put their own stamp on it and, essentially, start from scratch.
Amen.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 04, 2020, 11:57:19 AM
Sounds like the third script that was already written at the time of Covenant's release may bave been tossed out.
I'm sure that script was tossed out the moment Disney bought Fox, if not before that.

Kailem

*reads quote*

Yeah it's still not happening.

Hoopty Doopty

I like the engineers, they are slightly more terrifying than the xenomorph. I liked prometheus, covenant less but fassbender still made it great. Covenant was a cliffhanger, the engineers definitely need to stop david and his floating ship/lab of horrors.

Huggs

Sounds like he's forgotten what product he's supposed to be selling. The "alien in name only" thing he's had going on is what's run out of steam.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 04, 2020, 04:01:40 PM
Sounds like he's forgotten what product he's supposed to be selling. The "alien in name only" thing he's had going on is what's run out of steam.

I dig this kind of approach. In fact, I might be the only hairless ape on Earth, who's looking forward to Carpenter's prequel about Jed  :laugh:

reecebomb

Please no. Scott's prequel trilogy is beyond salvageable. After Prometheus there was still some hope. Making a third one would be a waste of money, time and talent. They were a mistake, true franchise killers ruining it for generations.
I wish Scott had made something in the sci-fi genre completely unrelated to Alien, it's clear he had lost the passion for it and he obviosly hated shoehorning the creature in. Why bring him back?   
That said I would happily look forward to his other sci fi projects, provided he gets a half decent script. And if sucks, well then it won't damage the classic movies. He is not getting any younger, let's not burden him with something he doesn't care about.

I believe it's still possible to make a good film with Alien, if you set strict rules in style and tone. Not sure how to undone the damage, the next movies should not hint even once that the prequels are in the same universe.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 04, 2020, 04:01:40 PM

So "no" to Alien films tackling the complexities of human and machine synergy next? I heard Ridley is interested in that topic... :)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: reecebomb on Sep 04, 2020, 04:45:33 PM
I wish Scott had made something in the sci-fi genre completely unrelated to Alien

Just debuted yesterday, and well worth a watch so far!

it's clear he had lost the passion for it and he obviosly hated shoehorning the creature in. Why bring him back? 

I wouldn't say he lost passion for the series at all. He seems to be absolutely loving the world and the storytelling possibilities that it offers, its just that he isn't so much interested in using "The Beast" as an element of horror and the sole driving force anymore. He's more interested in it as a lens through which to explore creation and lineage between alien races, humans, machines, etc.

if you set strict rules in style and tone.

This doesn't really appeal to me, honestly. The main, interesting driving force that keeps the series going, if you ask me, is that each filmmaker that has come in has brought something totally new to the table in terms of style and tone. Ridley Scott did something with Alien, James Cameron changed that up for Aliens, David Fincher did something very different with Alien 3, Jean-Pierre Jeunet put his own stamp on Alien: Resurrection, and then Ridley Scott brought something new to the table again with his two prequel films. Once Ridley's prequel vision is (hopefully) seen through to its completion, I hope that whatever filmmaker steps in next does something else very new with the franchise, both narratively and stylistically.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 11:11:13 PM
Having a pretentious "message" doesn't make a movie good or enjoyable

I mean, I really enjoy Alien: Covenant. Not because of whatever "pretentious message" you're referring to, but because I found the ideas that the film was putting forth to be very fascinating, both on their own to feet and within the larger context of the Alien series.
What? My message was obviously pointed at you not wanting an alien movie but wanting a movie that "has something to say"

QuoteNot true. Prometheus began life as a direct Alien prequel and, while it started to distance itself from that structure during pre-production, it never pushed itself out of that franchise.
Ah yes, remember when the fossilized pilot was implied to be a tall human-like alien that created us? Remember when the franchise was about creating things? Well it never was. Prometheus stopped being an alien movie, Ridley himself says it's just in the same universe, barely counts as a prequel too, now he admits he is just making Alien movies in name only.

QuoteAndroids (which have been prominent since the first film and have been a staple since), the nature of creation and lineage (which initially manifested with the parallels between Ripley and the Queen's presentations of motherhood in Aliens and was further expanded upon more directly in Alien: Resurrection with humans finally getting to meddle in affairs that they simply cannot control)
Amazing reaching here, nature of creation wasn't present in the movies, never was, playing god was never part of this franchise till Resurrection and even then that's debatable, this isn't Jurassic Park, playing God was never something present in the 3 first movies.

Quoteand the religious subtext (which drove Alien 3) all have roots in the original four films and expanding on them in the prequels feels like material ripe for the picking to me.
Ah yes, the subtle religious people in the movie, so subtle, it's not like it was on our face for most of the movie via dialogue and even a prayer montage during a funeral, right? The religion in Alien 3 wasn't a theme, it was a trait from the prisoners who had mostly lost hope, Religion WAS to be a major theme of the movie in it's earlier scripts, but it was scrapped.

QuoteBut I don't think it is fair to say that Ridley's "take" on the material wasn't appropriate for the series or should have stayed out of it.
Ridley's take on the franchise is that he is bored with the main Theme(the Alien itself) and wants to make movies about a robot playing God while using the Alien name, that's literally it, he says so himself

Quoteevery filmmaker that's come into the series has basically always glossed over whatever the previous films have done in order to put their own stamp on it and, essentially, start from scratch.
Extremely untrue, Alien and Aliens(and Alien 3 to some extent) don't "gloss over" the other movies, it was not until Resurrection that the movies of this brand started ignoring the others to be their own bellow average thing.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 04, 2020, 04:54:54 PM
Just debuted yesterday, and well worth a watch so far!

Yeah, will give it a chance for sure!

I wouldn't say he lost passion for the series at all. He seems to be absolutely loving the world and the storytelling possibilities that it offers, its just that he isn't so much interested in using "The Beast" as an element of horror and the sole driving force anymore. He's more interested in it as a lens through which to explore creation and lineage between alien races, humans, machines, etc.

And why does it have to be set in Alien universe, shoehorning the beast in it completely ruined it. Concepts in Prometheus were half baked but fairly interesting, I personally hoped the story would go even further from Alien.

This doesn't really appeal to me, honestly. The main, interesting driving force that keeps the series going, if you ask me, is that each filmmaker that has come in has brought something totally new to the table in terms of style and tone. Ridley Scott did something with Alien, James Cameron changed that up for Aliens, David Fincher did something very different with Alien 3, Jean-Pierre Jeunet put his own stamp on Alien: Resurrection, and then Ridley Scott brought something new to the table again with his two prequel films. Once Ridley's prequel vision is (hopefully) seen through to its completion, I hope that whatever filmmaker steps in next does something else very new with the franchise, both narratively and stylistically.

I should have been more specific. Agree 100% that one of the main strengths of the originals is that each brought something new to the table and are unique in their own right. The trilogy followed the rules successfully and this is why the gel. Prequels do not. Have to go now, will explain later.

DaveT937

Still collating...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed