Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 09, 2011, 07:01:56 PM

Author
Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus (Read 80,278 times)

Valaquen

Quote from: aliennaire on Dec 14, 2011, 07:22:45 PM
In the myth of Prometheus, the eponymous semi-god (if memory serves me right)
Prometheus was a Titan that sided with the Olympic Gods in the Titanomachy.  8)

ChrisPachi

Quote from: aliennaire on Dec 14, 2011, 07:22:45 PM...hence the myth is not creating of man

Prometheus created man from clay in the later versions of the myth, but in older versions man was created by the gods and Prometheus was the Titan tasked with 'shaping' them into civilized beings.

For what that's worth.

-Chris

JaaayDee

But if the space jockeys created us, who created them?

ChrisPachi

Quote from: JaaayDee on Dec 14, 2011, 11:29:37 PMBut if the space jockeys created us, who created them?

That's the spine in the heel of all creation myths and why they don't really work. I am hoping that Prometheus leaves this fairly ambiguous.

-Chris

MrSpaceJockey

Evolution. 

Or is this movie going to entirely dismiss the concepts of primitive human ape ancestors, cavemen, and dinosaurs?

Just because jockeys are a bunch of lab-geeks creating species doesn't mean they don't use scientific methods.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 14, 2011, 11:42:42 PMOr is this movie going to entirely dismiss the concepts of primitive human ape ancestors, cavemen, and dinosaurs?

I guess you could have a story that has the Space Jockeys as life seeders, not necessarily creators. Like giant alien bees, traveling about the galaxy planting life on suitable planets. This puts the creation furphy aside and leaves evolution and everything that we know about the origins of life on earth intact, for the most part. It seems to fit with some of the rhetoric about the film as well.

-Chris

harlock

I see them as being terraformers and probably an ampule held the primordial soup that was within the water that developed on our planet when its atmosphere began to settle down.

People tend to not realise for a fair time the Earth was a barren rock without an atmosphere even, it is thanks to its gravity that (put very simply) it managed to pull in enough ice clusters from space and it was at the right heat to get build-ups of water, which led to an atmosphere being created.

Be interesting to see what the Jockey(s) will do. If they filmed at a waterfall, I assume they somehow get our waterworks going, which will of course hold all the genetic material that the plants and animals will evolve from.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: harlock on Dec 15, 2011, 12:05:24 AMPeople tend to not realise for a fair time the Earth was a barren rock without an atmosphere even, it is thanks to its gravity that (put very simply) it managed to pull in enough ice clusters from space and it was at the right heat to get build-ups of water, which led to an atmosphere being created.

My understanding is that water came from the earth as a by product of the atmospheres formation, not from comets from space.

Quote from: harlock on Dec 15, 2011, 12:05:24 AM...an ampule held the primordial soup that was within the water that developed on our planet when its atmosphere began to settle down.

That's a good theory.

-Chris

aliennaire

Valaquen, ChrisPachi, thanks for the remarks!
PS. I guess, I still have a half of a year to peruse this piece of mythology  ;D

Kol

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 15, 2011, 12:20:27 AM
My understanding is that water came from the earth as a by product of the atmospheres formation, not from comets from space.

terraforming...  ;)

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: harlock on Dec 15, 2011, 12:05:24 AM
I see them as being terraformers and probably an ampule held the primordial soup that was within the water that developed on our planet when its atmosphere began to settle down.

People tend to not realise for a fair time the Earth was a barren rock without an atmosphere even, it is thanks to its gravity that (put very simply) it managed to pull in enough ice clusters from space and it was at the right heat to get build-ups of water, which led to an atmosphere being created.

Be interesting to see what the Jockey(s) will do. If they filmed at a waterfall, I assume they somehow get our waterworks going, which will of course hold all the genetic material that the plants and animals will evolve from.

or they don't have anything to do with life in general and terraforming on earth.maybe they just created or engineered us. to say they terraformed the planet and created all lfe it means we will see our planet billions of years in the past and i don't think they will do that.plus humans only developed a few million years ago.so i doubt they terraformed the planet,created all kinds of live,then returned billions on hundreds of millions years after to put us on the map.

just a thought.

and water on earth came from asteroids and comets who crashed on earth

Ravager

Now Im really getting excited about the film.

Mustangjeff

The earth has gone through so many exctintion events that you could enter the Space Jockeys at any point in a story and make them the cause.  It just depends on how "ancient" you want the race to be.  Maybe they saw Dinosaurs as an evolutionary dead end and released the Xenos on them (Xeno Dinosaurs would be something to see!).  Or, maybe they just decided to nudge that comet into the earth and come back later to check on the results.  That would certianly count as terraforming (like using a maul to tap in finishing nails but sometimes you just break out the big hammer).

Maybe they decided the Neanderthal species was a dead-end and used some ampule goo to modify them into Homo sapiens back about 200K years ago?  The options are endless  ;)

harlock

I mention the terraforming because Ridley said that the film deals with terraformers and Engineers in space.

The waterfall seen from Norway also hints at a more barren Earth with water springing throughout it when we see "the start of time". You could argue this is the point when life started on Earth rather than the upspring of Homo Sapiens.

Then you have to wonder why Jockeys are terraforming a planet. They cant just be doing it for shiz and giggles. Think how Lovecraftian it is to have a Jockey terraform the planet for themselves (then something happens that they get stuck somewhere in space while waiting for the results) only for us to come along and awaken them, a by-product of the initial terraforming.

Thats where I see the desperate battle for humanity's survival coming in, because now the Engineer is free and knows his planet is habitable for himself. A little genetic cleansing and he can move in...

Plus I feel the big theories Ridley mentions can be dealt with from this plotline.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: harlock on Dec 15, 2011, 06:56:25 PM...terraform the planet for themselves (then something happens that they get stuck somewhere in space while waiting for the results) only for us to come along and awaken them, a by-product of the initial terraforming.

Thats where I see the desperate battle for humanity's survival coming in, because now the Engineer is free and knows his planet is habitable for himself. A little genetic cleansing and he can move in...

I love the way you think. It could also be that the 'clue to the origins of mankind on Earth' is deliberate, a way of leading humans to the Engineers when they are sufficiently advanced enough and therefore 'ready' for whatever horrors they intend. It is a similar plot device to 2001 I know, but it's a good story arc IMO.

Quote from: zuzuki on Dec 15, 2011, 01:47:08 PM...and water on earth came from asteroids and comets who crashed on earth

I know it's off topic, but this has been bugging me. Current scientific knowledge discounts the idea of the purely extraterrestrial origins of Earth's water and instead now suggests that a large percentage of it was already present in the material that formed the Earth, namely by the existence of hydrogen and oxygen.

-Chris

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed