Why did the Pulse Rifle sound differently in Alien 3

Started by Inverse Effect, Apr 13, 2022, 08:04:54 AM

Author
Why did the Pulse Rifle sound differently in Alien 3 (Read 9,012 times)

Inverse Effect

I know this might sound like a stupid question coming from me. But....Why did the Pulse Rifle sound differently in Alien 3? Question Topic? I won't go into detail about the ending(Spoilers?) as most of you already know the scene that i'm talking about. But when one of the characters gets shot to death by the Containment Merc. Why did the gun sound differently?

Lore wise? I was always under the impression it was a different model of the Pulse Rifle? Or that it "was" the pulse rifle? Becuase playing some of the Alien games. Like Alien Trilogy etc the gun on these characters/mercs was a different type?

- Thankyou in advance :)

Kradan

Somehow I don't think Fincher gave two shits about keeping things consistent with Aliens

Rankles75

Because details often get mixed up in dreams.

Corporal Hicks

I imagine it was nothing more than oversight and they didn't have access to the original sound effects from Aliens during post.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Rankles75 on Apr 13, 2022, 02:23:40 PM

Do you like Alien Isolation Rankles?
Or Fireteam Elite?
Or The RPG?
Sincere question.

Kradan

Touche

acrediblesource

um....kind of sounds redundant. Since when was the Merc using the exact same weapon? The pods in the escape pod or life pod aren't the same as the ones on the Sulaco. and the vibe and tone of the third film used a tint  so its obviously not your imagination that the metal is a different color. No need to chase fumes here and not really an issue.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's been speculated before that the mercs didn't use the same type of ammo that the marines did.  That could account for the different sound.

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 13, 2022, 04:45:13 PMThe pods in the escape pod or life pod aren't the same as the ones on the Sulaco.

Yes, they are.

This is from the end of Aliens:

This is from the start of Alien 3, before the fire:

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 13, 2022, 09:17:30 PM
It's been speculated before that the mercs didn't use the same type of ammo that the marines did.  That could account for the different sound.
My headcanon has been that the Merc rifles were the M41e variant that gets mentioned in CMTM, loaded with different ammo.

Rankles75

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 13, 2022, 02:56:48 PM

Do you like Alien Isolation Rankles?
Or Fireteam Elite?
Or The RPG?
Sincere question.

Haven't really played them tbh, other than an hour or so of Fireteam on my brother's PS5 (it didn't go particularly well). I did use to play the Aliens game on the Spectrum quite a bit. :)

BlueMarsalis79

That renders my follow up  null and void then.

Basically being a question of compartmentalization, how someone deals with other material referencing stuff explicitly or implicitly that they try not to acknowledge the existence of, even Isolation's copywritten under "Alien, Aliens, AlienĀ³ are properties of" on the title screen.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

To me the production value of the films make the transition/translation/interpretation a moot point unless it was a major plot point.
Those images appear for a like a split second. To me that acknowledges how little value it plays in the whole story. It just seems to me that they dismantle and tear down their sets as usual or they might sell it to a collector.
That means it would be more better to reinterpret it rather than ask nicely for those collectors to not ass rape the production by asking for lots of money.

So pulse rifle sound or no not (from the 80s) its better to make something sound simliar rather than ask for the bloody 8 track tape that might cost the production more money because collectors can ask for money (they aren't a charity you know).

SiL

... they don't sell sound effect masters to collectors after every film, no.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: SiL on Apr 14, 2022, 10:04:26 PM
... they don't sell sound effect masters to collectors after every film, no.

So they would rather update and reinvent. You know pay people for their expertise? I know how i feel about that, i'm not sure about other people here on this forum though.
How many times do i need to say this sounds redundant? People are "hired" for making things. Companies don't hire people to rip the same sounds from old archival footage or sound files. They pay to make something new, so they do just that remember that they do the entire film and not just a bloody gun shot.

I understood the OP from the first line.....but the responses here are so damn ambiguous. Yes Fincher didn't give 2 shits because there is a new crew of sound and environment designers people need to recognize and they paid for them to do work which is respected in the film industry. That is all I'm saying. f**king like it or not, they dont make 4 dollar micro figurines from NECA.

I understand people here make fan work....with playdoe and papie  mache. Please just state your perspectives with clarity rather than get into some philosophical debate on authenticity because you want to live in this fantasy world.

SiL

Honestly I don't even know what you're trying to argue at this point. You're getting super worked up about nothing while complaining that other people are getting philosophical or something?

Get some fresh air, this isn't healthy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed