Fireteam Has Likely Stolen Fan-Made Content

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Nov 12, 2021, 10:21:35 PM

Author
Fireteam Has Likely Stolen Fan-Made Content (Read 2,844 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

As much as I know theft isn't new in the Alien fandom (i.e., Greg Land stealing Tristan Jones's art for Marvel), I'm still shocked and appalled that Cold Iron has lifted stuff from mine and my husband's alternate-universe fanfiction. It's so small that no one unless you're familiar with our work would notice, but it's still disgusting. No fan should have to go through this, but it is an unfortunate reality, and we won't put up with this.

https://youtu.be/sJglh2Zs0rc

Pictures and descriptions from Twitter:

"Interesting that these two rifles that appear in #AliensFireteamElite are a bolt-action and semiautomatic version of the same rifle, something that's never been done before in real life, but was done in Bad Company about a month before the game's release."

"This is what #AliensFireteamElite stole from us on alternate-universe Gorman, his jump from enlistment to commission, "mustang", and the clearing of criminal records after a Marine's service-all elements of Bad Company long before Fireteam's release."

I will not be engaging with people who won't even watch the video for the context.

BlueMarsalis79

People are free to prove me incorrect but I think this' reaching at best.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

And tristan Jones art......you telling me that isn't a CGI trace over? Artists everywhere are going....like who cares. Their entire library is lifted from a reference photo made from the same sources offered by the FoX/disney studios. this isn't news.

Dont you just hate this cancel culture where people look to the tiniest thing to get recognition for? Where they are all kind all standing on the platform which other people created. It makes no sense.

Do people know what art is anymore? OP is trying to state....what? Copyright infringement? I don't think it is. Did they create an Intellectual Property? No. so....is this Bitterness? yes

Buy a bottle of wine and stop giving a damn. Get a job. sadness is worse than bitterness. Dont be that sad guy.

[cancerblack]

This seems pretty spurious.

Like, as spurious as it'd have been for me to get mad at Motes and various other aspects of Covenant after using near-identical things in RPG lore for years.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 12, 2021, 10:42:21 PM
This seems pretty spurious.

Like, as spurious as it'd have been for me to get mad at Motes and various other aspects of Covenant after using near-identical things in RPG lore for years.

There's a difference between officially licensed sources being used by other officially licensed sources. This is officially licensed content lifting from fan-made content, just like the Marvel Star Wars comics tracing fan-works from DeviantArt.

[cancerblack]

Yeah, I was talking about home made RPG lore that is essentially fan fiction.

SiL

Lifting is a bit of a stretch  :-\

I'm not even sure what the second image with the character details is supposed to convey. There's nothing plagiarised and the details are so generic I don't think it's realistic to claim it was ripped off.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 12, 2021, 10:51:36 PM
This is officially licensed content lifting from fan-made content, just like the Marvel Star Wars comics tracing fan-works from DeviantArt.

DeviantArt? Do you even read what you write? Even if you own a devientart account, its a far stretch to say anyone who produced work on deviantart was realistically  thinking. I dont mean to be mean cruel or crazy, but if you're being crazy mean and cruel, please say so.

SiL

SiL

... What? The Star Wars comics literally traced over fanart from Deviant Art and even left the Deviant Art logo in some places.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Will watch the video later but after comparing the text it doesn't seem clear enough to warrant a plagiarism accusation. That sort of military terminology is common in military stories.

As far as the weapons go, did you 'steal' the M42C name from AVP2010?

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/M42C_Scoped_Rifle

Again common gun type names, Barret might not make the exact same .50 cal rifle in a semi-auto and bolt-action variant, but they make both types and they do look pretty similar. Your weapons also appear to be amalgamations of the Barret semi-auto design. Not saying your fan design is invalid and that it doesn't count as derivative work, but the AFTE snipers look pretty clearly of original design. M42A is straight from the Colonial Marines technical manual so...

Also you mention that the game came out a few months after your fan designs... those models would've been done quite a bit sooner before the game's release, and the game was delayed because of the pandemic.

As BlueMarsalis79 said, seems like a little reaching here.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I had not even considered AVP 2010 but I did think this reminded me of something. As a franchise I think it's got a lot of convergent ideas especially with regards to the Colonial Marines' equipment. Whether that's similar stuff in the Operations Manual to the Technical Manual or any number of other things. It's not plagarism just the property exploring the same ground repeatedly.

OP you appear to have sort of a bizarre grudge against this videogame honestly and a lot of recent lore.

It's far from perfect, but the (first time) developers are being receptive to criticism and suggestions even now, but anyway I do not think it deserves the vitriol or this smear attempt, because even if you felt earnestly that they plagarised you it's now clear that they definitely did not.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

M42A2 and M42A3 are also not identical rifles with different chambering types. The M42A3 has a slimmer profile and noticeable chassis variations.

Reminds me a bit of the Barrett Model 82 and the McMillan Tac-50

Engineer

Yeaaaa.... I'm not buying it...

Also, not sure what the issue is regarding smart gunners not being able to effectively get behind cover during combat is all about... there's a page, with diagrams and everything, about this in the colonial marines technical manual.

Kradan

Immortan Jonesy

I'm curious to learn LT's thoughts on the nun.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed