Story: Military Vs. Predator?

Started by Johnny Handsome, Feb 24, 2016, 11:48:15 AM

Author
Story: Military Vs. Predator? (Read 4,913 times)

Johnny Handsome

I recently had a look at Fred Dekker's Facebook page and read the following Quote, posted in September 2014:

"Wanted to be in Austin for this, but writing a NEW military vs. monster movie intervened."

Now, since he is not writing any other stuff, this has to be a reference to Predator right? It was also around the time the announcement was made that he's writing the script.

So lets assume the general theme is again going to be Military Vs. Predator, what about the quote from Producer John Davis "You are going to get something you don't expect"? Could we actually be getting a movie with the Predator as the main character, fighting the military? It would also "expand and explore the existing Predator mythology", as Shane Black said.

Of course, we can only speculate, but the quote is interesting.

overthere

overthere

I'd be really excited about a story like that. Imagine the military going all out on Predator, while he's escaping and surviving by any means necessary, doing what he does best. This sounds like hardcore badass-ery ensured!
I hope this is what we get, you can't go wrong with a plot like that.

And imagine Dutch being in charge of the military or some sort of adviser. Oh man, the possibilities are endless. I'm surprised nobody else picked up on that at the time.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I'm not so sure about the "You are going to get something you don't expect" part. That could mean that the military and predator could be teaming up to hunt xenomorphs. :P

However the military vs predator thing doesn't mean it has to be against the US Military. Like a lot of us probably assume so off the bat. Maybe the Predator's going to kill some ISIS and Syrian army things. You know, cause The Predator is more human than either of them.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 24, 2016, 12:00:14 PM

However the military vs predator thing doesn't mean it has to be against the US Military. Like a lot of us probably assume so off the bat. Maybe the Predator's going to kill some ISIS and Syrian army things. You know, cause The Predator is more human than either of them.

I doubt they'd do a political statement like that in a popcorn movie like Predator.
I'd also hate for those pricks to hear about it and decide to kill everyone who likes the franchise.

Johnny Handsome

Maybe the Predator's going to kill some ISIS and Syrian army things. You know, cause The Predator is more human than either of them.
But does that make a difference? It would still be Military, even if it's the syrian army.

I don't think any of this is going to happen though, as it really wouldn't "reinvent the Franchise and looking at it from a different light", as John Davis said.

I know, in Hollywood they often say "reinvent the franchise", but Military Vs. Predator is exactly what people are thinking when they talk about Predator, so what's the "reinvent" and "new" part of this? All just talk?

I really wouldn't be surprised anymore if this is going to be much more on the Predator side of things, the new title would also suggest that the Focus is much more on "The Predator" this time around.

Either way, with Shane Black i have confidence in the continuation of the Franchise, i just love his movies and The Nice Guys Looks like it's going to be so much fun, just exactly what this needs and what the original Predator was/is, well made popcorn fun.

overthere

overthere

But this time the military knows about Predator and is specifically going after him. That's something we haven't seen. Every time so far the Predator caught them by surprise. Deliberate attack on Predator with real organized army, not mercenaries Dutch's team was, is something different. Predator is at a disadvantage here.

Corporal Hicks

It's definitely an interesting observation and notion, Johnny! We have kind of had the Predator being hunted aspect already with Predator 2 but a larger scale and from the Predator's POV could be significantly more interesting!

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Having the Predator be the main focus would be different. So far it has always been from the Humans perspective. Although AVPr sort of tried that, a lot more than any of the Predator movies or avp did. I don't see why the Predator can't be the star of the movie. Oh sure it must die in the end or it wouldn't be a Predator movie. Right guys? :P

Quote from: overthere on Feb 24, 2016, 12:04:58 PM

I doubt they'd do a political statement like that in a popcorn movie like Predator.
I'd also hate for those pricks to hear about it and decide to kill everyone who likes the franchise.
Oh wow I didn't mean for that to be taken as seriously as it was. It was more tongue in cheek. My main point was that it could be any army and for reasons other than trophies and entertainment for the Predator.

overthere

overthere

I assume the Predator wouldn't be concerned about trophies with the whole army after him. True, it can be any army, but that doesn't make a lot of difference, so why not US?

The Alien Predator

That would be really cool to see.

We already know that the government and some high ranking military officials know about the Predators and their visits and that they've tried to catch them before.

So since this is taking place probably around this decade or so, humans would be much more prepared compared to how they were back in 1997 (in universe).

The title of this topic reminds me of Predator: Incursion, where Colonial Marines face off Predators and are well prepared for them. I can see something similar happening, a well prepared army awaits an unsuspecting hunter who thinks he has the element of surprise.

It makes sense, eventually humans will catch up.

OWLF

OWLF

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Feb 24, 2016, 11:48:15 AM
I recently had a look at Fred Dekker's Facebook page and read the following Quote, posted in September 2014:

"Wanted to be in Austin for this, but writing a NEW military vs. monster movie intervened."

Now, since he is not writing any other stuff, this has to be a reference to Predator right? It was also around the time the announcement was made that he's writing the script.

So lets assume the general theme is again going to be Military Vs. Predator, what about the quote from Producer John Davis "You are going to get something you don't expect"? Could we actually be getting a movie with the Predator as the main character, fighting the military? It would also "expand and explore the existing Predator mythology", as Shane Black said.

Of course, we can only speculate, but the quote is interesting.

Sounds interesting, very interesting indeed. Producer John Davis also talked, this was many years ago, in an interview about "Rebooting" the franchise with Arnold and a new young group of guys.

If we were going to do it with Arnold; it was like, "Does it make sense to go back and to put him with a young team?"  So maybe it's 20 years later, you have retired, and you are the one person who has survived one of these encounters.  Is that a reboot in the fact that you are in it with a group of young guys?  Is that a reboot?

Source: http://collider.com/john-davis-interview-predator-predators-sequel/

So who knows, they might have kept that idea or maybe it has changed since then. I guess we´ll have to wait and see until more details about the project come out.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Predator vs the Military?

Mmmmm... I dunno about that. Depending on how it's executed, it could work as long as it's done in the style of David Morrell's First Blood. If this is what we are getting, and I really do hope that's the case-- I can get behind it.

But if it's an invasion type storyline? Mmmm.. I'm hoping it isn't.

overthere

overthere

I agree. Something like First Blood would be great, but invasion would probably suck.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: overthere on Feb 24, 2016, 10:45:58 PM
I agree. Something like First Blood would be great, but invasion would probably suck.
It sounds more like Rambo III. :P

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 24, 2016, 10:53:47 PM
It sounds more like Rambo III. :P

Well we don't know anything about the film!

I mean for all we know it could be set in a pinewood forest! Different from a jungle.. or it could be in the desert! No idea what this movie could be!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed