Yes
13 (20.6%)
No
23 (36.5%)
Don't really care
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author
Female protagonist in the next Predator movie (Read 11,669 times)

Johnny Handsome

A strong, male lead for me.

It just works better with the Predator, and i imagine a woman getting it's ass kicked by a Predator in a fist fight just wouldn't look right to me.

I'm all good with emancipation and stuff, but this isn't for the Ladys.

PRJ_since1990

Honestly I think it would be cool just to keep the themes the way they've been for each franchise. Alien has strong female lead. Predator has strong male lead. Don't deviate. The more FOX "tries new things" or "switches things up," the bigger the potential for the movies to fail, budget wasted, and the franchise loses respect and gets shelved for another 15 years.

Look at the success of the new Star Wars. Star Wars has always had great mix of male and female actors and the new movie stuck close to the franchise's roots and it worked. Likewise, for the Alien and Predator movies, they have each had their success. Keep to what makes them awesome and don't change up too much.

Master

Oh God please let this one stay away from it's roots. New SW was poor copy of ANH with some bits from ROTJ, like Predators was of Predator. Nothing new nor really exciting. I don't want that.

Go crazy into new direction. Let the new films be new.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Master on Mar 14, 2016, 08:17:22 AM
Oh God please let this one stay away from it's roots. New SW was poor copy of ANH with some bits from ROTJ, like Predators was of Predator. Nothing new nor really exciting. I don't want that.

You really didn't like the new Star Wars? I'm not one to get upset over people's opinions of movies but if you didn't like the film overall, respectfully, I think you need to lower your standards and remember how to enjoy fun movies ;)

Here's the thing. Predator is highly regarded as a pop culture classic. Both "sequels" add to the franchise and lore while not being as well-received. When people think of the Predator, they think the first film because it has such an appeal to it. The trick is, how do you capture that magic that makes the first film so great while not being a carbon copy like Predators or a weak sequel like Predator 2 (and I like Predator 2)?

When you say new direction, and I know you're not speaking of the band (lol), what would you want to see that would capture the magic but be fresh enough you would be satisfied overall?   

Corporal Hicks

Predators was not a carbon copy of Predator. *head explodes* It had similar beats and some (shudders) reused dialogue but it was not a carbon copy by any long stretch. That is always completely over-exaggerated.

draken161

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 15, 2016, 08:37:41 AM
Predators was not a carbon copy of Predator. *head explodes* It had similar beats and some (shudders) reused dialogue but it was not a carbon copy by any long stretch. That is always completely over-exaggerated.

Yeah I think a lot of the issue is that how do you make the 'Stalking segment' different from Predator without making it seem like they're directly copying it? Apart from that, (and the reused dialogue) the movie wasn't a carbon copy of the original in any sense.

Topazora

Topazora

we're overdue for the a female protagonist, a good director and a good actress can pull it off.  Going through the thread, I've not read anything convincing as to why a female protagonist wouldn't work in a predator film.

genocyber

If they decide on a female protagonist I'd like seeing Gwendoline Christie with a chaingun. :)

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 15, 2016, 08:37:41 AM
It's funny because I literally just listened to the Podcast about things people hate and you love, and I got a chuckle just reading your reply since one of your items was Predators! While I agree that there was a lot of wasted potential to expand the idea of hunting other-worldy creatures like the River Ghost and the movie we got was far better than the original script, personally, I find the similarities to the original, including dialogue, jungle setting and character tropes (even the weaponry) undeniable to the point of almost calling it a rip off. Like you have said before, there are so many possibilities to use the Predator story in different time periods, locations, with or without cross over with the Alien franchise. I really feel that they could have been bold and tried something new, like the Wild West or Feudal Japan or in space with no gravity!

Case and point, two fans with two different opinions. I respect yours and you respect mine. Ironically, we both like the film lol. We're off topic though.

Quote from: Topazora on Mar 15, 2016, 04:32:41 PM
we're overdue for the a female protagonist, a good director and a good actress can pull it off.  Going through the thread, I've not read anything convincing as to why a female protagonist wouldn't work in a predator film.
It's not so much why they wouldn't work, but more about keeping a running theme going. Of course a woman can play any role a man can, if the story is written that way. I really liked the dynamic that played out at the end of Predators between Royce and Isabelle. Two person team would be fun to see, especially if you got drawn in to the character's relationship only to see one get their spine ripped out!

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 16, 2016, 01:37:30 AM
Quote from: Topazora on Mar 15, 2016, 04:32:41 PM
It's not so much why they wouldn't work, but more about keeping a running theme going. Of course a woman can play any role a man can, if the story is written that way. I really liked the dynamic that played out at the end of Predators between Royce and Isabelle. Two person team would be fun to see, especially if you got drawn in to the character's relationship only to see one get their spine ripped out!

The only theme to the Predator series is that there are space hunters seeking out prized trophies out of great warriors.  How would making the protagonist a woman break the running theme?  It would actually freshen the franchise and bring more people into the fandom.

Master

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 15, 2016, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Master on Mar 14, 2016, 08:17:22 AM

You really didn't like the new Star Wars? I'm not one to get upset over people's opinions of movies but if you didn't like the film overall, respectfully, I think you need to lower your standards and remember how to enjoy fun movies ;)

Lower my standards to what level? One where I don`t care about films plot full of holes like swiss cheese because X-wings and tie fighters? Seriously Death Star was done in ANH. In ROTJ it was done to the death and after thirty years, best thing they could come up was blowing the third one? First act on Jakku was fine after that it was only worse, to the point you have to guess why things are happening.
  What is ressistance? Why there is ressistance? What planet First Order just blew up? What is the f**king state of the Galaxy 30+ years after ROTJ? We don`t know but we have 10 minutes long, slapstick Rathar escape. That`s great right? Wrong.

TFA was medicore film. For me it was only better then AOTC.

When you say new direction, and I know you're not speaking of the band (lol), what would you want to see that would capture the magic but be fresh enough you would be satisfied overall?   

I`ve been saying that for few years now and I`ll say it again. Do a reversed scenario where Predator is being hunted by small army of very well prepared humans who are aware what they are facing. Do Predator on the run, make viwer think this army have advantage then reverse it once more First Blood style. Set it on the desert or some other place with military conflict in the background, that is not jungle, and we`ll have one great action film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed