Yes
13 (20.6%)
No
23 (36.5%)
Don't really care
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author
Female protagonist in the next Predator movie (Read 11,671 times)

DUB1

I think we're long overdue for a female protagonist, who actually fight the Predator in the last act.

darcevil

This poll is completely fair and not loaded passively aggressively at all.

RakaiThwei

It would put a different spin on things to have a female protagonist, that's for sure. Just as long as she's not an Anna/Isabelle clone or archetype. I've sort of had enough of those, especially the latter. If we do have a female protagonist, let her be her own character.

DUB1

Quote from: darcevil on Jul 12, 2014, 09:30:51 PM
This poll is completely fair and not loaded passively aggressively at all.

Well, if anyone can think of a non-sexist reason to be opposed to protagonists of a specific gender, then I'm all ears. I can understand being opposed to the casting of specific actresses in the lead role, but women in general? That's a different story. Don't let the second option in the poll intimidate you, though. If you're not a misogynistic loser, then you surely must have sound reasoning to be opposed to female protagonists.

In my case, I prefer female protagonists, but I can enjoy male ones.

Ghostface

I don't care who's the protagonist as long as it's a good fkn movie.

blood.

As long as she's a badass from the start. I don't want another rip off of ripley.

SM

A character that changes - like Ripley - over the course of the film would be preferable.  Unlike someone like Lex.

OpenMaw

Quote from: DUB1 on Jul 12, 2014, 11:56:11 PM
In my case, I prefer female protagonists, but I can enjoy male ones.

Any reason why you have the general preference?  :)

I think Alice Braga did just fine holding her own with the boys in Predators. Given she was one of two survivors and was pretty important to bringing down the last Predator, even though she was shaking off paralysis, i'd say she did pretty damn good.

Quote from: bloodinthemud on Jul 13, 2014, 12:41:36 AM
As long as she's a badass from the start. I don't want another rip off of ripley.

Indeed. This would be my concern. With the Predator movies i've pretty much heard it said both of Glover and Brody that they just didn't measure up or come off as nearly as believable going against the Predator after Arnie's character was so badly jacked up.

From that context one has to ask themselves, if a 200+ pound slab of muscle like Dutch is turned into a whimpering, crawling-for-his-life, victim by the Predator. What's going to happen to a 140 pound warrior woman? That's really the tricky part here. The toughest male specimens in the world were almost utterly powerless against a Predator. You'd need a new spin on it to really sell it to the audience. They tried that with Royce's character by making him more about silence, stealth, speed. Gave him a chance to act as a foil for typical Predator hunting behavior. You could incorporate my idea of a near-future scenario where humans are becoming wise to Predators and start hunting them down, turning the tables. Have a Sarah Connor type who's seen them butcher her comrades and with her experience is able to track them.

Quote from: SM on Jul 13, 2014, 02:07:51 AM
A character that changes - like Ripley - over the course of the film would be preferable.  Unlike someone like Lex.

I don't think anyone was suggesting she'd be static. Just avoid the "goes from a novice to a badass" arc. There are other stories to tell.

SM

In films like this?  Not really.

happypred

Quote from: DUB1 on Jul 12, 2014, 02:29:46 PM
I think we're long overdue for a female protagonist, who actually fight the Predator in the last act.

Nah...we had that in AvP and Requiem. I think Predator films work best with strong male leads.

Of course, there are women out there who'd give Arnold a run for his money

Spoonman101

Quote from: happypred on Jul 13, 2014, 12:47:39 PM
Quote from: DUB1 on Jul 12, 2014, 02:29:46 PM

Nah...we had that in AvP and Requiem. I think Predator films work best with strong male leads.

Of course, there are women out there who'd give Arnold a run for his money

"Tu face the predator ju are going tu need tu eat allot'uh shicken n' ryse."

DUB1

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 13, 2014, 02:11:55 AM
Any reason why you have the general preference?  :)

Indeed. This would be my concern. With the Predator movies i've pretty much heard it said both of Glover and Brody that they just didn't measure up or come off as nearly as believable going against the Predator after Arnie's character was so badly jacked up.

From that context one has to ask themselves, if a 200+ pound slab of muscle like Dutch is turned into a whimpering, crawling-for-his-life, victim by the Predator. What's going to happen to a 140 pound warrior woman? That's really the tricky part here. The toughest male specimens in the world were almost utterly powerless against a Predator. You'd need a new spin on it to really sell it to the audience. They tried that with Royce's character by making him more about silence, stealth, speed. Gave him a chance to act as a foil for typical Predator hunting behavior. You could incorporate my idea of a near-future scenario where humans are becoming wise to Predators and start hunting them down, turning the tables. Have a Sarah Connor type who's seen them butcher her comrades and with her experience is able to track them.

I prefer female protagonists in part because I don't need main characters to be the same gender, race or sexual orientation as me to care about them, to relate to them, and in part because I'm a straight guy. I hope that didn't come off as sexist. I do respect women. A female protagonist can have nearly everything a male one can, plus a little more. They also tend to always be more refreshing as protagonists, since they're still less common, and in the Predator franchise, they'd be even fresher, since we're yet to have one.

Secondly, what you say about big men like Arnold being physically helpless against Predators just shows that no human, woman or man, can really hope to defeat a Predator with their bare hands anyway. So gender doesn't make much of a difference when fighting a Predator. Why couldn't a woman use her wits, traps and weapons to kill a Predator? Like Jill Valentine in Resident Evil 3, who defeated Nemesis, a creature that I consider much more powerful and durable than a Predator.

Nah...we had that in AvP and Requiem.

Really? The female protagonists actually fought the Predators to the death? How the hell could I have missed that? Oh yeah, you must be talking about that part where Lex defeats Scar by giving it it's plasma caster back. Damn, that was one intense fight scene right there.

Spoonman101

QuoteReally? The female protagonists actually fought the Predators to the death? How the hell could I have missed that? Oh yeah, you must be talking about that part where Lex defeats Scar by giving it it's plasma caster back. Damn, that was one intense fight scene right there.
And so with a hovering cursor above the post button and a swift click on the mouse our Straight Guy protagonist now embarks on a series of patronizing posts. What will this thread have instore?  Tune in next post on AvP Gala-xy! (Read last sentence out loud with same intonations as the epilogue narrator of Dragon Ball Z)

Randomizer

No because ...

I think Predator films work best with strong male leads.

...and I'm not a misogin .

whiterabbit

Honestly, aside from Ripley, most female heroines are annoying in alien movies. It just seems so contrived. Predators did make it believable but there still was a man in the lead. That being said, I think it is about time they put a female predator on scene. Surely they exist right? Then we can find out once and for all who is in charge of the Predator species. Maybe the men are just lazy couch potatoes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed