The Reptile Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 22, 2012, 08:37:08 PM

Author
The Reptile Thread (Read 43,688 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

A skink can make rage and hatred adorable.

SiL

SiL

This one just made me question the chain of decisions I'd made in my life which lead me to that point.

Vark_

Vark_

This is Spike, my own personal 6-inches velociraptor, he's a 13 years old Gecko Ulikovskii (= Golden Gecko).
Not much personality, can't cuddle the little fella, but I love him.

maledoro

maledoro

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Quote from: Vark_ on Apr 03, 2014, 07:27:24 PM
This is Spike, my own personal 6-inches velociraptor, he's a 13 years old Gecko Ulikovskii (= Golden Gecko).
Not much personality, can't cuddle the little fella, but I love him.

Nice Goldie Vark! I actually owned a pair of those for a while  ;D Fun to watch and you can make them a pretty enclosure. but (like you said) they don't offer much in cuddling.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Warning - live feeding

Spoiler

[close]

Jason Todd Voorhees

Jason Todd Voorhees

Gustave the Crocodile
Still one of the most interesting reptiles I've ever watched or read about.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Hump-nosed lyzard (Lyriocephalus)

thexenomorph

thexenomorph

I have a Sand Monitor (Gouldii Flavi) and a Moroccan Uromastyx, anybody else have Monitors or Uromastyx? (Or Tegus?)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 27, 2022, 08:01:35 AMWarning - live feeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oWjjGsxY2Y
Spoiler

[close]

I've always been fascinated with monitor lizards. They are big, intelligent (for reptiles anyway) and remind you of a prehistoric beast. The Komodo Dragon, the world's largest lizard, is a monitor lizard after-all. Sadly, I am responsible enough to know I can't own one. I just don't have the time and space at home to look after such a big creature. They have particular requirements in diet, temeprature and living space to ensure they live healthy lives. And I just don't have that.

Still, I remain fascinated with these lizards. I know in the US, some keep Nile Monitors, although I am told they actually aren't ideal pets for first time reptile owners. They are aggressive and somewhat unpredictable in temperament, hard to tame and skittish at best. That's partly down to their African environment, having to share it with many larger predators, like lions, hyenas and nile crocodiles, they have to be "mean" to survive.

Whereas the Asian Water Monitor, found in Southeast Asia, despite being even larger than the Nile Monitors, are somewhat easier to tame, as they are known to be more docile and calm in disposition. Still, they are predators with a carnivore diet and won't hesitate to target any would-be prey, like snakes:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed