What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 282,166 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

X-Wing: Solo Command.

Kradan

Kradan

Hound of Baskerviles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

I find setting of an old mansion in the middle of a giant swamp to be extremely appealing

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I finished reading Alex White's first novel the other day. Every Mountain Made Low. One of the things I enjoy about falling in love with an author is then trying their other work, stuff you might not ordinary be interested in, but give it a shot based on the author. I'm glad I did here too. Very very very interesting, and very much in Alex's style so if you like Alex, you'll like Every Mountain. They got some emotions out of me too - slammed the book shut in anger at something taking place relatively early on. Which then just reminded me it was Alex's book and world and that I enjoyed how they portray their world.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I was reading the political thread.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Ditto

Kradan

Kradan

The thread that keeps on giving

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The political thread ought to be nuked from orbit. There is a good reason forums like this don't usually allow them. @Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 01, 2022, 12:34:52 PM
Hound of Baskerviles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

I find setting of an old mansion in the middle of a giant swamp to be extremely appealing

The professor is a man of refined taste.

Ingwar

Ingwar

As much as I agree with most things you say 8th I have to disagree with nuking political thread out of orbit. "Discuss current politics. Keep it civil and keep it respectful" it says on the thread. Why I have never had any issues discussing things with you? Because we keep it civilised. I don't have to agree with everything you say and vice versa (it's simply impossible to have the same opinions about everything) but we don't insult each other, unless I've forgotten, but I don't think we ever had. When I mentioned that I'm libertarian (and I have right to say that) .. then it started. Like I'm some kind of leper :) I'm more than certain that if I told you that I was libertarian you probably wouldn't attack me despite your own political views (which I don't know anything about) and vice versa.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteKeep it civil and keep it respectful" it says on the thread.

And that's the problem, while I rarely look into that particular shithole, it almost always boils down to people making disparaging remarks about other members political beliefs, both left and right.

Interesting also to note that the thread is only visible to registered members and not the general public. Skeleton in the closet and all that. :D

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 08, 2022, 05:38:37 PM
QuoteKeep it civil and keep it respectful" it says on the thread.

And that's the problem, while I rarely look into that particular shithole, it almost always boils down to people making disparaging remarks about other members political beliefs, both left and right.

I wish I knew that. I went there to have a chat. I like politics. Never again.

Kradan

Kradan

Interesting also to note that the thread is only visible to registered members and not the general public. Skeleton in the closet and all that. :D

Literally today I've logged out, checked the "Recent Posts" and when none of the posts from "Political discussion" showed up, I thought to myself "Oh God, somebody said something so outrageous Hicks had to shut down the whole thread. I hope it wasn't me"   :D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I've seen political forums on many other message boards and the admins all allow them for the same reason: if they don't provide an outlet somewhere, the posters will just air their political opinions everywhere.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 08, 2022, 05:52:20 PM

Literally today I've logged out, checked the "Recent Posts" and when none of the posts from "Political discussion" showed up, I thought to myself "Oh God, somebody said something so outrageous Hicks had to shut down the whole thread. I hope it wasn't me"   :D

I think at a point most just have better things to do.... for now.

That and the ignore fiction is good for de-escalation, though I am surprised the mods didn't show up SWAT style.

Anyway I was actually reading about Greece during WW2.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm trying to read through all of the Cormac McCarthy novels, working on Child of God right now. And I'm listening to the audio book of Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini. Excellent pirate fun so far.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 08, 2022, 11:01:31 PM
I'm trying to read through all of the Cormac McCarthy novels, working on Child of God right now.

Child of God is dark as hell. My favourite is The Road.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed