Fan Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 23, 2021, 08:40:59 AM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 15,743 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So RidgeTop, Shevvie and I tried to make a dint on the campaign on Extreme the other day. Jesus Christ, is it hard. We did the first mission, but we tried 3 times or so on the second mission and couldn't make it through as yet. I'm sure I killed RT on one go through which cost us the mission, another time we triggered the next part of the mission while trying to escape another part. The whole "edge of control" feeling that Cold Iron was going for...yeah, I get it.  :laugh: Looking forward to trying again.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, even the Runners take a lot of ammo in Extreme to bring down!

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm on the 3rd mission of campaign 3! I'm not having too many issues with Alpha and Beta either. However I don't think I'm a good enough gamer to play above standard lol. I've found it pretty challenging as is, don't know how extreme would be possible  :laugh:

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 08, 2021, 03:45:30 AM
I don't get  lot of time to play and I'm not very good. So I'm still trying to beat the second campaign on standard with just bots.

This game is not easy for me  :laugh:

I need to just start playing with random and hope for the best.

This is how it's currently going for me. I've replayed the third mission of the second chapter several times solo and I just can't beat what I assume is the final onslaught of androids. Makes me think I need to play with actual humans to beat it but I just want to beat it once on easy for the story before I join other players. Also with other players I notice that it becomes more mission oriented with them driving the pace whereas I like to sometimes stop and appreciate the level design details. So I like it but I do think it's a bit too difficult on easy mode and wish there was a better checkpoint system so I wouldn't have to replay the entire mission.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Stop up on the electro rounds and sentries to take in and save them for the end!! That section was so much f**king harder in the preview build too.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I only had to try that mission 3 times on standard single player. As long as you kill the special syths quickly it's not too bad.

I'm stuck on 4-1 now though, only tried it twice but having some trouble.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 15, 2021, 02:03:46 PM
Stop up on the electro rounds and sentries to take in and save them for the end!! That section was so much f**king harder in the preview build too.

Cool thanks for the tip!

Jumss

Jumss

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2021, 09:48:21 AM
So RidgeTop, Shevvie and I tried to make a dint on the campaign on Extreme the other day. Jesus Christ, is it hard. We did the first mission, but we tried 3 times or so on the second mission and couldn't make it through as yet. I'm sure I killed RT on one go through which cost us the mission, another time we triggered the next part of the mission while trying to escape another part. The whole "edge of control" feeling that Cold Iron was going for...yeah, I get it.  :laugh: Looking forward to trying again.
Have you guys gotten any further? I've managed to make it up to the only way to be sure with randoms so if you guys need a hand let me know

426Buddy

426Buddy

I finally beat the game on standard and with bots. I have to say I had a lot of fun with this game, all in all it gets a solid 8/10 from a biased Aliens fan. It has surprising depth to the classes and all the builds and upgrades.  All the stuff around the gameplay is pretty deep but the gameplay itself is simple and repetitive even though there is some strategy. The main thing is that it's f**king fun as hell. The weapons feel great and there is a million things to love as an Alien fan. This is the best looking alien hive I've seen in any game, jaw dropping in the final campaign. There is pure joy to be found in the art of some of these levels and visuals.

My main issues are that matchmaking launched as a mess and there have been some crazy bugs. There should be a mid save point in these levels or a safe area for when life happens in the middle of a mission. And while I really love how the lore is presented this game really needs a bit more of a narrative. I like the story but it's needs more connective tissue. Even if it was in the form of cutscenes at the start and end of each campaign. That I think would have really gone a long way toward making the story more satisfying to experience. 
Spoiler
Also we should have been able to fight the queen, it's not a big deal but it's a bummer. I still enjoyed seeing her though.
[close]

I think it's more than worth price of admission  and I recommend it to all Aliens fans. I was concerned leading up to the game but it has surpassed expectations, great job Cold Iron!!

8/10

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

I'd do a pro and con version.

Things i like the most.

+ The Varity in the guns, skins and cosmetics.
+ The enemy Alien Varity is wonderful.
+ Sound Design on the Aliens is bloody fantastic!
+ Graphics really do the universe justice, from enemy designs to environments (Which are gorgeous)
+ Character classes and leveling up along with the perk system.
+ Challenge Cards are a great idea!
+ Different themed stages, Classic Alien corridor, to engineer/ Prometheus style levels, to Hives, and Derelict levels. All are great!

Things i dislike or i think are bad.

- The Voice over constantly telling you where things are coming from is annoying and removes tension.
- Alien spawns are very predictable and aren't random if you do the levels enough.
- Matchmaking is garbage, you often have to drop out every 30 seconds and re-join to find people. Player base is sparse.
- AI Bots are garbage in general and just stand in the way, and have no classes or abilities to be useful.
- Some Classes/gun combo's make the game trivial and too easy to farm the first level over and over for exp.
- Very Short campaign.
- Some Under powered guns and some OP guns.
- No animations on characters when they speak.
- Needs a PvP mode i think for longevity
- Could do with a drop in style matchmaker.

The negatives aren't game breaking by any means, and it's just things that could be fixed over time. I'd recommend the game on PC at retail price for sure if you're a fan or not.

I'd give the game a honest 7/10 tbh.  It's not a bad game, it's well designed. Has good intentions, and does the universe justice and the gameplay is decent. It's just not amazing or anything like Isolation was. But not as shit as A:CM.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

This is what I said in Toho Kingdom : The game is pretty decent, aside from some glitches here and there (which are fixed now).
The story isn't really something special like in alien isolation but it's good enough. Gameplay is what carries the game, this game is obviously took inspiration from the left 4 dead series, which means this game is like a PvE where is there is a swarm of enemies with some unique variations with different tasked to take your down. I'll say they did a pretty good job with the gameplay loop where it's repetitive but they found a way to make it fun.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

So it's been two months and we finally got around to making our podcast review. My husband and I have changed our thoughts on Fireteam several times, based on what we've seen and read.

We managed to get about five-and-a-half hours of podcast content out of a game with very minimal content.

If you don't have the time (especially since we haven't gotten our Spotify up and running--it's a bitch to connect a WordPress site to Spotify and we really need to set aside time to work with it), here's the summary:

We have a lot of problems with the physics, the weapons and weapon naming system, the story, the characters, the music, and how Cold Iron has handled the game and its release. But we still admit the game is fun to play as a time-killer, and we like the outdoor sequences and Engineer facility. That's it.

Here's part 1:
https://youtu.be/0ROYZpCw6Nk

Part 2:
https://youtu.be/ZN6sFG_yuAQ

Part 3:
https://youtu.be/WIwrvVAXbWA

BlazinBlueReview

BlazinBlueReview

Okay so when this first came out, I had it for PS4. It was an okay experience. Very much Colonial Marines levels for me. The bots weren't doing so great. The enemies seemed to just lurk and then pop in when they pleased. It was all just meh.

The first patch and such I hung in there. It got a little better. But just didn't feel up to par. So I gave up and traded it in. I had enough of it feeling like I was missing out because I wasn't online.

Since then landed an Xbox Series X. Been accumulating a little collection. Halo Master Chief Collection being one of them. Yesterday, I got GamePass and was happy to see Fireteam Elite available. Isolation is there as well. But my curiosity was piqued for Fireteam.

Would it handle the game better on the newer system? Was the Xbox One and PS4 versions subpar in quality because they were last gen?

Well, I will say that I feel like the Xbox One to Series X comparison is like the 360 to One comparisons. Or PS2 to PS3 if you will.

The first thing noticed was the atmosphere. This feels like the movies now. It just dripping in it. The lighting in the game is so beautiful. It's not super bright anymore as it's using a more realistic lighting engine. The xenos blend in with their environments better. Its all so damn good. The AI for the bots felt better.

The fact that was running in 4K at 60fps was also a huge factor. It made everything feel more chaotic and kinetic. That wonderful feeling the movies gave us.

Haven't gotten too far into things this go around. But it definitely changed my tune on the game. Super happy with it.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

So I finally got a PS5 about a month back and decided to download the PS5 version of Fireteam that was included with the PS4 disc purchase. Note: none of your progress transfers from the PS4 version so it's a brand new start (you still have to insert the disc and oddly enough it will always ask if you want to download the PS4 version with all progress intact). Starting from scratch was fine with me as I wanted to start over regardless and play through all the campaigns. Performance wise I noticed a huge difference in how smooth the game ran compared to my first play through on PS4. Graphics-wise the improvements were just barely noticeable but an improvement nonetheless.

This time around I wanted to find all the hidden intels as I went and return to base after the 3 level missions with all 9 intels ready and getting all that juicy lore in one go for all 5 missions. I found doing this improved the "story" aspects of the game for me. Lastly by having the Pathogen campaign already purchased and being able to play through after destroying Katanga also made the game feel more complete especially finishing with that short but sweet cutscene.

Overall I found the PS5 experience to be far superior to the PS4 and am grateful that they included a free upgrade for PS4 users.

Samdob1222

Samdob1222

Besides   requiring some improvement fixes, I'd say this game is great 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed