Prey: BTS Thread

Started by ace3g, Aug 05, 2022, 09:57:57 PM

Author
Prey: BTS Thread (Read 42,551 times)

ace3g

ace3g

Enjoy

Enjoy

I was underwelmed with maskless pred in prey but these designs are fantastic looking.

ace3g

ace3g

Andy

Andy

I loved everything about Prey - apart from the Predator design itself.

There's no doubt that the character is a badass and it was seriously fun to watch hun in action - absolutely loved that!

But I didn't like the face or the mask. What confuses me is the decision to use darts as the pred's weapon. I understand the whole "earlier technology" thing, given how long ago the film takes place - but their ability to master interstellar travel but at the same time NOT have an energy-based weapon doesn't stack up for me...

I do like the movie though. Offering it on Hulu / Disney+ was a good move to renew interest and could be just the ticket needed to green-light more films, anthology style.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Andy on Sep 27, 2022, 12:51:47 PM[...]
But I didn't like the face or the mask. What confuses me is the decision to use darts as the pred's weapon. I understand the whole "earlier technology" thing, given how long ago the film takes place - but their ability to master interstellar travel but at the same time NOT have an energy-based weapon doesn't stack up for me...
[''']
Though it would've been cool to see a plasma caster again, what we were given was very advanced.  Those self-guided spears, that could correct the course of its flight allowing it to hit laser-illuminated targets, are brutal.

I like to think that an elder briefed Feral before the hunt and wasn't given the option to use the beloved plasma caster.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I like to think it did not exist yet, purely just to kick out AVP 2004 and AVP Requiem.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I'd prefer it if the plasmacaster existed and just went unused. We've seen Predators who opted to not use them like various members of the Lost Tribe and Falconer. Feral could easily be a case where he didn't use one on that particular hunt or didn't have one.

And that to me opens up more interesting story ideas because now we ask "what was the earlier models like?". It's a space version of a hunting rifle, so one can go that route, or you could visually explore its origins. We know the ships have that kind of technology, so did they start on the ships and they adapted to the technology to be a hand carry? Are they war weapons that gradually took other uses? Are the earlier models really bulky? I could easily see an earlier hunter's kit having some weird belt fed variant. Putting the technology at a later point in time doesn't feel right to me given the directions you could go with that.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 27, 2022, 10:38:43 PMI'd prefer it if the plasmacaster existed and just went unused. We've seen Predators who opted to not use them like various members of the Lost Tribe and Falconer. Feral could easily be a case where he didn't use one on that particular hunt or didn't have one.

And that to me opens up more interesting story ideas because now we ask "what was the earlier models like?". It's a space version of a hunting rifle, so one can go that route, or you could visually explore its origins. We know the ships have that kind of technology, so did they start on the ships and they adapted to the technology to be a hand carry? Are they war weapons that gradually took other uses? Are the earlier models really bulky? I could easily see an earlier hunter's kit having some weird belt fed variant. Putting the technology at a later point in time doesn't feel right to me given the directions you could go with that.

I just think of it as different seasons, like the US has. This time it was bolt season (bow season). Next time it might be plasma caster season (rifle season).

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

AVP's depiction's so dull, because it shows they are static through time, instead of getting a look at earlier iterations of the Plasma Caster. 

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 28, 2022, 09:10:26 AMAVP's depiction's so dull, because it shows they are static through time, instead of getting a look at earlier iterations of the Plasma Caster. 

Then again the AVP games were guilty of the same thing too. Predators just don't change much.

In the OG AVP comic the only weapon they had which was recognizable was the wrist blade. The Burner we've never seen on screen, and the staffs were not the combi-stick, but regular hand-crafted spears. Plus there armor was quite different. Of course, back then they didn't have the sequel or anything else to work on.

I'm not totally against the Predators being relatively static throughout time. if you think about it from the cultural standard point of tradition. "These are the weapons of our fathers, now choose yours." type of thing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I get that tradition being a big part of the character but, I prefer the variance, rather than being completely static as in Alien Versus Predator.

After absolutely loving Prey, I want to see an Alien and Predator meet for the first time ever on film, in the far future.

Like Feral looking at the rabbit and wolf.

Seeing a Predator on the backfoot for once, going "what the hell are you?" to the Alien this time.

Master Chief

Master Chief

We've seen plasma cannon variants onscreen.  Berserker had a revolving barrel, with a faster rate of fire, Fugitive had a self-activating weapon on his helmet, and Wolf was able to convert his into a pistol.  Heck, human weaponry hasn't changed much over the years.  The modern day shotgun is over 120 years old, the modern day rifle is pushing 70 years of age.  And our first true revolver goes all the way back to 1718.   ;)

If it ain't broke...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 28, 2022, 11:56:56 AMI get that tradition being a big part of the character but, I prefer the variance, rather than being completely static as in Alien Versus Predator.

After absolutely loving Prey, I want to see an Alien and Predator meet for the first time ever on film, in the far future.

Seeing a Predator on the backfoot for once, going "what the hell are you?" to the Alien this time.

Maybe not to such an extreme degree, but I always thought the concepts of the laser shot Predator, particularly the NECA expanded lore version would make for an interesting Predator. A technophile hunter.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 28, 2022, 11:56:56 AMAfter absolutely loving Prey, I want to see an Alien and Predator meet for the first time ever on film, in the far future.

I absolutely love the sound of that.

SiL

SiL

The flashback in AvP is literally a dude reading exposition off the walls, maybe don't take it quite so literally.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed