Jonesy: Nine Lives On The Nostromo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:31:12 PM

Author
Jonesy: Nine Lives On The Nostromo (Read 9,287 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kane's other son on Oct 19, 2018, 09:08:07 AM
The opening weekend was underwhelming, meaning that a lot of people just didn't care for a new Alien movie, no matter how good it was or wasn't. I believe that one reason is that the beast is on a million T-shirts and toys and it's no longer shrouded in mystery.
The counterpoint to this is the reception 'Alien Isolation' received, which also came out in a world with plush facehuggers and stiff.

I don't think you're *totally* wrong, I think Alien media saturation could be a factor in how Covenant was received, but I think it was a minor one at best. Covenant itself had issues, and audiences naturally took issue with them. :P I don't recall seeing many reviews with people saying "I'd have liked this movie if only those damn action figures hadn't desensitized me first".

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

Alien Isolation was fantastic. Its sales were also disappointing, though.
Some are missing my point. We are fans, we'll get the merchandise and talk endlessly about these movies and show up even if we didn't like the last one. General audiences no longer do. Many simply didn't bother to check out the movie or buy Isolation -and I believe one of the reasons is that the monster is way too familiar.

Turning Giger's nightmare into a cutesy cartoon doesn't help.

Fox is not protecting its property when it goes for the quick licensing buck. They will licence the Alien to anyone and for anything.

SiL

SiL

You're not getting everyone else's point: the merchandise doesn't affect the films' reception. Alien Resurrection wasn't well-received critically, but still made more than the previous movies -- and this was after a long line of Kenner Alien action figures with accompanying comic books, costumes, shirts, and cutesy figures. Same with the first AvP film. It was the highest grossing Alien or Predator movie until Prometheus, despite cartoonish merch.

Kane's other son

That was a completely different market place. Merchandise back in 1997 was the Kenner line, the Halcyon model kits, the Dark Horse Comics and a couple of T-shirts. It was nowhere near today's saturation.

SiL

SiL

There have been glow-in-the-dark Alien toys since 1979, I'm not sure how you can keep trying to make this argument with a straight face :-\

Kane's other son

One. One toy.

SiL

SiL

There have been multiple glow-in-the-dark Alien toys since then.

Prometheus is the highest grossing of the movies.

Prior to its release, all of these were merch items for sale:

(some aren't showing up, but there's more if you quote the post.)

There was a popular webcomic called Alien Loves Predator. There were as many shirts as you could poke a stick at.

Cutesy merchandise isn't an issue. Bad films are.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kane's other son on Oct 19, 2018, 01:16:56 PMThat was a completely different market place. Merchandise back in 1997 was the Kenner line, the Halcyon model kits, the Dark Horse Comics and a couple of T-shirts.

There were heaps of Alien toys around in the late 90s. Even freaking Micromachines did a whole range of Alien and Predator sets.

It's no more saturated now than when they were releasing half a dozen to a dozen comics a year. In fact, Dark Horse isn't hitting anything like that level of publishing today.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Oct 19, 2018, 01:35:23 PM
There was a popular webcomic called Alien Loves Predator. There were as many shirts as you could poke a stick at.

I miss those guys.  :'(

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Received my copy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fun take/perspective on ALIEN.

Spoiler
I loved the Wey-Yu puns my favorite being the coffee "Wey-Brew"
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed