Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 14, 2016, 05:57:07 AM

Author
Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World (Read 37,414 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 15, 2016, 08:23:02 AM
I have no particularly strong feelings about Blomkamp's Alien film.

That being said, f*ck the Avatar movies. I can't even stand the first one anymore.
f**kn'A Man. Plus after seeing Weaver in Ghostbusters 3, I'm done with all assertions that bringing her back for an aliens movie is a good idea.

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

Oh, on a side note, in my opinion, if they do bin Blomkamp's film could we petition Fox to remove that cease and desist on the frost/newt fan film as it would really spark of dog in the manger by Fox if they didn't let it go forward as it seems they red carded it so it wouldn't distract from Blomkamp's project?

Doggo33

Windebieste:
QuoteEverybody I know would love a new 'ALIENS' movie.  Not everyone I know wants a retcon.

- I wouldn't love a new 'Aliens'. I love 'Aliens' but... or rather and I don't care to see a cheaper version.
I was going to say I don't want a retcon more but I'm not sure which i dislike more as someone who cares about film. I think it depends how much 'Alien 5' plans on tying into 'Prometheus' and how fan service-y 'Alien 5' will be (premise aside).

genocyber

Well I assume she was contractually obligated to clear her slots for James Cameron's sequels when it came time, plus she is getting a paycheck probably bigger than what Ridley Scott would be offering.

dallevalle

rip alien 5

those avatar movies will take 10 years to make.

at least we got alien covenant to look foward to.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So the fellas at Perfect Organism are quite against this news. One of their hosts has reported on Weyland-Yutani Bulletin that they've got a source that has told them the film is currently in production under a different name.

It's not uncommon for a film to use codenames during production anyway so if it was in production I wouldn't be surprised to learn it had a codename.

BishopShouldGo

Have these Perfect Organism guys proved reliable in the past?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2016, 07:50:40 PM
So the fellas at Perfect Organism are quite against this news. One of their hosts has reported on Weyland-Yutani Bulletin that they've got a source that has told them the film is currently in production under a different name.

It's not uncommon for a film to use codenames during production anyway so if it was in production I wouldn't be surprised to learn it had a codename.

I doubt it. If they are so sure then they should at least be able to provide proof. And why would Blomkamp film it under a cloak of secrecy anyway?

windebieste

It's a 20th Century Fox property - it's going to need an Official announcement made before this rumor is credible.

-Windebieste.

oduodu

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james-cameron-avatar-1201753774/

He first envisioned two sequels. But after meeting with a team of four screenwriters and a group of "some of the top artists and designers in the world," he realized that he had way too much material for just two films. He initially decided on three sequels, then jumped to four.

The other three films will be released at Christmas-time in 2020, 2022 and 2023. "That is our game plan," Cameron said.

End quote

So there is four sequels . When will Weaver be available? Around the middle of 2018?

I have doubts.

BishopShouldGo

There are 12 months in a year. Movies film out of order. Heck, Cameron is filming all of the sequels out of order, at the same time, so it's like on giant jigsaw puzzle. One scene from Avatar 3 here, then one from Avatar 4 next, then Avatar 2, etc.

They'll accommodate Weaver.

Scorpio

All of the shooting in Avatar will be simultaneously.  It's the post production period that takes so long because of all the CGI.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 14, 2016, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jul 14, 2016, 10:13:33 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 14, 2016, 08:18:44 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 14, 2016, 08:05:26 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 14, 2016, 07:43:11 PM
...I'm trying to comprehend why anyone would want this movie instead of Ridley's Alien trilogy.
I as well.

Same here.

I'm not bothered by this news at all, maybe it's a good thing because they might finally change things for Alien 5 and add more original characters. Alien shouldn't be shackled to RIpley, Newt or Hicks. It's a huge universe with so much more potential than that.

So I am much more excited for Covenant and the new characters and storyline it will introduce. Prometheus already was a sort of renaissance for this franchise. It has added so much for me to enjoy and I cannot wait to see what Covenant will expand upon.
While I am very cautiously optimistic on Covenant, and I mean CAUTIOUSLY, I am more optimistic of Blomkamp's vision and here's why. Alien 3, for all its faults, I thoroughly enjoyed but always hated that they killed off Hicks and Newt. They were, in the comics, the continuation of the story. No Ripley.....not until the final act of that arc. Other stories following that were also successful and did not contain Ripley.

While I 100% agree with you, that the Alien franchise has near-limitless potential and doesn't need to be labored by the yoke of Ripley, I would respectfully disagree with you, as I did not find Prometheus to be what I was personally expecting and now Covenant will be Fox's parallel response to AVP with AVPR. Covenant will be so dark, so sinister, so graphic and in-your-face than Prometheus, we will forget we're watching an Alien movie and that is what I am fearful we will get.

For those that want that, fine. I respect that. But all I ask for in return is the same respect to those who will not be satisfied with this film.

Thanks for sharing your view on this, PRJ, you do have some valid concerns.

Even though I am not keen on Alien 5, as a fan I will still go see it. Ripley, Newt and Hicks won't make me not enjoy a film with our favourite monsters fighting our favourite space marines again (I wanted to see another Colonial Marine movie for a long time since I've seen Aliens). I just don't like the idea of them having to always use Ripley in everything. Alien is pseudo-realistic as opposed to a space opera such as Star Wars. I feel that there are so many fresh faces that can be facehugged, you know?  ;D Ripley encountering them too many times can be less coincidental and more "here we go again..."

In Alien it made sense due to a chance encounter, in Aliens it also made sense due to her going back to the same place, in Alien 3 it made sense due to an accident involving these critters, and in Resurrection it made sense due to them cloning the things. I wonder what would motivate Ripley in the new film?

Some people have raised interesting views on how to enjoy Alien 5 and still see Alien 3 and Resurrection as relevant.

Someone suggested an idea of seeing Alien 5 as a sort of "flash before her eyes" of what could've been while Ripley is falling into the furnace. It holds a similar parallel to the "it was all a dream" some fans have suggested for Alien 3 and Resurrection.
Very interesting. I really have no objection to fans creating their own scenarios for how and why the films fit into their own continuity. I encourage it because when I speak to people about the films just out of curiosity, I get more interest out of 3 than Resurrection and the idea of Alien 5 usually takes center stage rather than Covenant. This is my personal experience anyway.

Ripley's story, as far as I'm concerned, was concluded in Alien 3. Her new motivation with the film would have to be to protect her new family in Newt and Hicks. And of course WY will be there trying to get her for information, experimentation and, of course, to keep their doings a secret. What we have seen of the concept art would suggest they somehow get to the location where another derelict has been unearthed (or just discovered on the surface, the ship looks old and covered in debris) and they have to face the nightmare one more time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ripley sacrifices herself again in this story but Newt and Hicks live so we can finally get our Earth War arc and branch out into the other comic stories like Genocide, Labyrinth and Berserker and set the stage for an AVP reboot featuring Machiko. One man's dreams anyways...

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Personally.. I just don't mind the direction which Weaver and Blomkamp wanna go in, and if we consider their statements... Nothing is being retconned. I don't understand why people are assuming that a diverging timeline automatically means it's a retcon. It just means we have more than one continuity, and that no matter which one we pick, it's all equally true and no one is invalidated. From what I've gathered, based on Weaver and Blomkamp's statements, Alien 3 and Resurrection still happened but elsewhere. I don't see this as a bad thing, I don't get why everyone else does.

To me, and this is how I see things, it just means we don't HAVE to follow a linear path. We have choices. So why is having a choice a bad thing? Someone please enlighten me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed