Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Aug 02, 2019, 08:16:36 PM

Author
Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks" (Read 31,207 times)

SM

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 15, 2019, 10:28:11 PM
There's a very brief moment of sexual tension when Wilks and Billie are donning space suits on the Macarthur and Billie is having problems with the crotch plate.  I wouldn't call it a 'come on.'  It's an acknowledgement that both of them have been thinking about it.

Then their attraction became a whole plot point in Female War. I really hated that angle.

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2019, 12:19:12 AM
Had a good cover.

I loved both of the covers for Female War. But the Dorman one of the Queen in the flames is fantastic.

Kimarhi

Marines want to eat crayons and dick down anything. 

SM

Then their attraction became a whole plot point in Female War. I really hated that angle.

Don't remember that.  I do remember they were both shagging other people though.

Huggs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2019, 07:28:22 AM

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2019, 12:19:12 AM
Had a good cover.

I loved both of the covers for Female War. But the Dorman one of the Queen in the flames is fantastic.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/aliens-female-war-review-01.jpg

Still got that one.

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2019, 11:22:52 PM

Don't remember that.  I do remember they were both shagging other people though.

Yeah, she was bonking that
Spoiler
synthetic marine
[close]

SM

He was left behind at Third Base.

Spoiler
Billie was bonking Brewster and Wilks was bonking Leslie Elliott. The brief moment of sexual tension pops up a couple of times in Female War when both Billie and Wilks privately ponder on the nature of their relationship.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2019, 11:22:52 PM

Maybe I'm blowing it up a bit in my memory. I just hated it that much.

SM

Possibly.  I flipped through it the other day, and there's a couple of points where Wilks is wondering if his feelings are paternal or something more.  And Billie wonders what it would be like with Wilks, but she's also unsure of the nature of their bond.  I don't think it's prominent enough to call it a plot point though.

Corporal Hicks

That's fair. It felt like it came out of left-field in Nightmare Asylum and I just disliked it that much since that it stuck in my memory.

Perfect-Organism

I don't recall that in the book, though my recall of what I read a quarter century ago is a bit fuzzy.  Anyway, it's a really silly direction to take the characters in.  Hicks was basically the equivalent of Captain America in Aliens.  That's why he's such an admirable character.  Quiet, reserved, yet with a strength that comes out under pressure.  Truly one of the great movie heroes of all time.

Kimarhi

I actually thought him a little more ruthless with the insult to Burke and attempted execution right before the ops battle.

SM

Hicks was a sidekick.

He wouldn't have executed Burke if Ripley objected.

Kimarhi

Yes, but at his base he would have.

SM

Local Trouble

I have no doubt that Hicks would waste Burke, but Ripley was about to talk him down before the Aliens showed up.  I'm sure cooler heads would have prevailed, but I'm curious how Gorman would have treated him after that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed