Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,267 times)

Local Trouble

I have a better idea: let Ridley Scott direct the remake of The Black Hole.

Brzrkr

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 05, 2018, 01:26:14 PM
Quote from: David 8 on Jan 05, 2018, 12:32:48 PM
Want some fries with all that salt?

I'll take some fries, David. Just hold the black goo.

That's a shame.

Really makes every dish burst with flavor.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 05, 2018, 01:39:10 PM

I'd love to see that. I have a soft spot for The Black Hole, particularly the score which is ace.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: maron on Jan 05, 2018, 08:56:10 AM
I for one will boycot another Ridley movie and I know others will do the same.

A recent Harvard study revealed that only 12.8% of those who declare boycott on anything, actually carry out their boycott.

SM

Quite.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Ah, totally! Spot on!

Ingwar

QuoteThe deal, announced last month, saw Disney buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for $52.4 billion (£39bn).That means that the rather kid-unfriendly Alien movies are now the House of Mouse's property – though director Ridley Scott is keen for Disney to keep the franchise going.

"It looks to me that the Fox deal is certainly going to go ahead with Disney, and I've been with Fox for a number years now," the All the Money In the World director told Digital Spy.

"I'm hoping I'll still probably be there so whether or not they go ahead with such a dark subject, being Disney, as aliens remains to be seen.

He added: "I think they should because I think, when people have a hard and fast franchise which has ongoing interest, it's crazy not to do something with it."

Scott said he backed the deal, however, showing admiration for Disney and its business sense.

"I think it's great," he continued. "I think it's very good for Disney. Of all the studios they're far ahead of their game for having a prepared, thought through demographic for the kind of films they're making – for who they're making them for.

"That's why they're so successful. And they draw the line at anything that crosses PG-13.

"[If] they find that they're so successful with that that they want to cross the line and do something a little darker, and if they do that, do they want to do that under Disney or do they want to do that under the Fox banner? I think there's a business plan afoot definitely."

As for what direction the next Alien movie could go in, the director continued: "I'm in tune with where Covenant 2 would go. We already know what we'd do with that.

"You've got to have a fundamental platform and target where you would take it. It's a bit like having the skeleton before the meat goes on."

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a846768/ridley-scott-wants-more-alien-movies-with-disney/

Scorpio

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 05, 2018, 11:32:37 PM
QuoteThe deal, announced last month, saw Disney buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for $52.4 billion (£39bn).That means that the rather kid-unfriendly Alien movies are now the House of Mouse's property – though director Ridley Scott is keen for Disney to keep the franchise going.

"It looks to me that the Fox deal is certainly going to go ahead with Disney, and I've been with Fox for a number years now," the All the Money In the World director told Digital Spy.

"I'm hoping I'll still probably be there so whether or not they go ahead with such a dark subject, being Disney, as aliens remains to be seen.

He added: "I think they should because I think, when people have a hard and fast franchise which has ongoing interest, it's crazy not to do something with it."

Scott said he backed the deal, however, showing admiration for Disney and its business sense.

"I think it's great," he continued. "I think it's very good for Disney. Of all the studios they're far ahead of their game for having a prepared, thought through demographic for the kind of films they're making – for who they're making them for.

"That's why they're so successful. And they draw the line at anything that crosses PG-13.

"[If] they find that they're so successful with that that they want to cross the line and do something a little darker, and if they do that, do they want to do that under Disney or do they want to do that under the Fox banner? I think there's a business plan afoot definitely."

As for what direction the next Alien movie could go in, the director continued: "I'm in tune with where Covenant 2 would go. We already know what we'd do with that.

"You've got to have a fundamental platform and target where you would take it. It's a bit like having the skeleton before the meat goes on."

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a846768/ridley-scott-wants-more-alien-movies-with-disney/

0321recon

With those statements, Scott knows he has to work them by successfully doing the Merlin film, so he can do Awakening. 

LtJesseRipley

Oh god am I also hoping Ridley!

Alienon

Alienon

I want what Ridley filmed Alien:Awakening and then - go away from franchise. Just leave Alien for Blomkamp and other alien lovers.

Nukiemorph

Sounds like if we want Disney to let Ridley do one more Alien film, we need to give money to the upcoming Ridley/Disney Merlin movie(s).

Scorpio

Quote from: necrotard on Jan 07, 2018, 12:17:43 PM
Sounds like if we want Disney to let Ridley do one more Alien film, we need to give money to the upcoming Ridley/Disney Merlin movie(s).

I would see that anyway. 

windebieste

Quote from: Alienon on Jan 07, 2018, 10:47:51 AM
I want what Ridley filmed Alien:Awakening and then - go away from franchise. Just leave Alien for Blomkamp and other alien lovers.

I dunno... Every time we get these 'fan' directors and developers making big promises we end up with things like 'AvP', 'AvP-R' and 'A:CM'.

I'd rather see movies made by reputable movie makers rather than see it handed over to fanbois with so called 'vision' that embraces nothing but re-hashing the same old content, ad nauseum.   

What Scott is doing isn't perfect, but it's fresh, challenging and subversive. 

-Windebieste.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 07, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
I dunno... Every time we get these 'fan' directors and developers making big promises we end up with things like 'AvP', 'AvP-R' and 'A:CM'.
You also get Alien:Isolation - the best entry to the franchise in over 30 years. The AvP films get a pass in this regard because they can't ever be anything but fan films. It's a series with the sole purpose of pitting two monsters one against the other and watching them fight. That's all they were ever made for.

I'd rather see movies made by reputable movie makers rather than see it handed over to fanbois with so called 'vision' that embraces nothing but re-hashing the same old content, ad nauseum.

What Scott is doing isn't perfect, but it's fresh, challenging and subversive.
Neither Scott, Cameron nor Fincher were reputable movie makers when making their Alien films. Cameron and Fincher were "fanbois with so called 'vision", and Scott went in it for the money. Each of them understood what the alien is, and never tried to treat it like a flaw by undermining it. They simply tried to tell their own respective stories, that took place during an encounter with the alien. Similarly to how good film makers understand that a good zombie film isn't about changing the zombies, but rather about the story that is being told during a zombie epidemic.

I'm not sure why you'd refer to what Scott's doing now as "fresh, challenging and subversive" Covenant was such a painfully obvious rehash of Alien, they even rehashed the opening title and score, just for those who still couldn't take the hint. There's nothing challenging about it either. The film consists out of tons of dialogues about creation, but the creator/creation dynamic is never explored in the events that occur in film. If by 'challenging' you were referring to the effort of sitting through pretentious drivel that leads to nothing but literature trivia, then sure, what Scott is doing can be considered as challenging. The one single thing Covenant has to contribute - the sole purpose for its existence - can be summed up in four words: 'David made the Alien'. And that contribution undermines the entire franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed