Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 243,471 times)

Alionic

Hopefully Michael Fassbender refuses to do the sequel unless Scott is directing it.

SM

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 04:19:13 AM
D
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jan 03, 2018, 01:33:27 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 02, 2018, 11:53:20 PMI doubt that's an option. It's either Scott part three or total reboot. Either seems likely, but not in the next 2 years.

Don't see why they can't do both (I'm not saying they will).
It's Disney, they got the cash. Something similar to their Star Wars approach perhaps.
Both follow-ups to the originals, let's say Blomkamp's version, and spin-off/prequel stuff like Prometheus and Covenant.

"You know I'm a dreameeeer..."

I think it's a good thing Disney took over. Can't do any worse than Fox has done with them. I really doubt Covenant 2 is getting made though. I'm going to put my dollars down on a reboot. Ridley just gave the big two fingers up to Disney the other day anyway. Maybe he knows his movies going to get finished by some young dude.

I actually agree with what he said though. You should have to work your way up to these big budget movies.

I think there's also a bit of control involved in getting less experienced directors involved (as far as I remember Lucas got Marquand in to direct Jedi as he felt he'd ceded too much control to Kersh on Empire).  Often they'll be guys who are leaping at the chance to do a big franchise film, and less likely to make waves.  There was talk (amongst fans) about Fox creating a story group a la Marvel or Lucasfilm, so there's an overall story arc spread out over a number of films - but Ridley would never be able to operate under such a strict regime.

Gash

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2018, 04:26:45 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 04:19:13 AM
D
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jan 03, 2018, 01:33:27 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 02, 2018, 11:53:20 PMI doubt that's an option. It's either Scott part three or total reboot. Either seems likely, but not in the next 2 years.

Don't see why they can't do both (I'm not saying they will).
It's Disney, they got the cash. Something similar to their Star Wars approach perhaps.
Both follow-ups to the originals, let's say Blomkamp's version, and spin-off/prequel stuff like Prometheus and Covenant.

"You know I'm a dreameeeer..."

I think it's a good thing Disney took over. Can't do any worse than Fox has done with them. I really doubt Covenant 2 is getting made though. I'm going to put my dollars down on a reboot. Ridley just gave the big two fingers up to Disney the other day anyway. Maybe he knows his movies going to get finished by some young dude.

I actually agree with what he said though. You should have to work your way up to these big budget movies.

I think there's also a bit of control involved in getting less experienced directors involved (as far as I remember Lucas got Marquand in to direct Jedi as he felt he'd ceded too much control to Kersh on Empire).  Often they'll be guys who are leaping at the chance to do a big franchise film, and less likely to make waves.  There was talk (amongst fans) about Fox creating a story group a la Marvel or Lucasfilm, so there's an overall story arc spread out over a number of films - but Ridley would never be able to operate under such a strict regime.

Yeah, the control thing is not where an older experienced director wants or needs to be.

Baron Von Marlon

Still no news of any upcoming Fassbender movies.
Guess he's waiting for an update as well. I think otherwise he would've booked another role already.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 04:19:13 AMI think it's a good thing Disney took over. Can't do any worse than Fox has done with them. I really doubt Covenant 2 is getting made though. I'm going to put my dollars down on a reboot. Ridley just gave the big two fingers up to Disney the other day anyway. Maybe he knows his movies going to get finished by some young dude.

I've been thinking the same. If they should make a bunch of movies, there's bound to be a decent one among them. And something's better than nothing.
As long as nothing's confirmed, I'm trying to stay positive. Maybe they allow Ridley to finish his story and after that they take the franchise away from him. Could explain his attitude.

Highland

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jan 03, 2018, 05:15:04 AM
Guess he's waiting for an update as well. I think otherwise he would've booked another role already.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 04:19:13 AMI think it's a good thing Disney took over. Can't do any worse than Fox has done with them. I really doubt Covenant 2 is getting made though. I'm going to put my dollars down on a reboot. Ridley just gave the big two fingers up to Disney the other day anyway. Maybe he knows his movies going to get finished by some young dude.

I've been thinking the same. If they should make a bunch of movies, there's bound to be a decent one among them. And something's better than nothing.
As long as nothing's confirmed, I'm trying to stay positive. Maybe they allow Ridley to finish his story and after that they take the franchise away from him. Could explain his attitude.

We've been here so many times it's not funny. Doom and gloom, our last movie sucked, what if there's no more movies...

By the time Predator hits, I'm sure there will be rumblings of another Alien movie somewhere.

Gash

I got the impression the comments might be a veiled way of showing that he's aware that the young & faltering Blomkamp is trying to circumnavigate him again.

Scorpio

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jan 03, 2018, 05:15:04 AM

He's racing cars now, apparently.

Highland

Quote from: Gash on Jan 03, 2018, 05:25:05 AM
I got the impression the comments might be a veiled way of showing that he's aware that the young & faltering Blomkamp is trying to circumnavigate him again.

Alien isn't really Star Wars though, I think a young up and coming director is probably a good choice for the franchise.

SM

SM

The results have been mixed in the past.  Anderson was probably the most experienced director when he made his instalment and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.  Then the Strauses hadn't directed anything and were even worse.

BishopShouldGo

You guys read too much into things. Ridley doesn't have time nor the interest to keep tabs on Neill.

Alionic

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 06:10:46 AM

Alien isn't really Star Wars though, I think a young up and coming director is probably a good choice for the franchise.

Why shouldn't an established film series like Alien employ experienced, or at least competent directors?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 03, 2018, 06:28:37 AM

You guys read too much into things. Ridley doesn't have time nor the interest to keep tabs on Neill.

He may be commenting based on the initial interest in Blomkamp, and his general view on young directors wanting to find the shortest route to the top rather than build experience - and the advantage such naivety gives to the studio bosses, rather than any new concept art posts.

He had a hard enough time on ALIEN and Blade and after years of experience in art direction, adverts, live TV directing and a movie he still had to fight to get his vision seen. He values being able to know through experience the best way to avoid wasting money.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 03, 2018, 06:39:55 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 06:10:46 AM

Why shouldn't an established film series like Alien employ experienced, or at least competent directors?

I don't think there's been much wrong with the Direction of most Alien films ( not talking about the AVP ones). It's the story's and the studio interference that are bollocks.

QuoteThe results have been mixed in the past.  Anderson was probably the most experienced director when he made his instalment and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.  Then the Strauses hadn't directed anything and were even worse

The Strauses agenda seemed to be more about maxamizing cash rather than making an entertaining film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: P-Rock on Jan 02, 2018, 10:03:35 PM
I hope Scott picks a dude as the protagonist now. Back in '79 it was daring to put a female in charge, but I'm pretty sick of it now. Shaw and Daniels were seriously annoying. Shaw preaching the whole time (I choose to believe!) and Daniels was sobbing most of the movie.

I think I would rather see is a larger portion of the cast being female and the "final girl" not so obviously telegraphed in the marketing.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2018, 08:34:59 AM
QuoteThe results have been mixed in the past.  Anderson was probably the most experienced director when he made his instalment and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.  Then the Strauses hadn't directed anything and were even worse

The Strauses agenda seemed to be more about maxamizing cash rather than making an entertaining film.

Honestly, I think they just wanted to make an A/P movie and had to deal with the crappy story they had to use. That's the impression I got from chatting to Crom in the last podcast.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 03, 2018, 10:22:12 AM
Honestly, I think they just wanted to make an A/P movie and had to deal with the crappy story they had to use. That's the impression I got from chatting to Crom in the last podcast.

They did not help themselves with the nostalgia carpet-bombing they did throughout the movie. Having Brian Tyler basically lift the entire soundtrack of Aliens and Predator.

I mean yeah, the movie would have probably been better from a premise standpoint if they went with "Predator ship crashes in Afghanistan and special forces guys have to fight the aliens and predators." Because it would have at least lent a closer to feel to the spirit of the second AVP comic (Duel? War? I can't remember. The one with the marines on Ryushi.)

A good director can take a treacherous premise and make a good movie out of it. AVP:R had potential to be good. The problem is the Strause bros just wouldn't restrain themselves.

The problem with Prometheus and Covenant is fairly simple. You give Scott a coherent script, and he'll likely give you a coherent movie. Spaihts gave him a fairly coherent, albeit scattershot, script. Lidelof, not so much. To a degree you can blame this on the excised bits in editing, but not in totality.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed