Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 09, 2011, 07:01:56 PM

Author
Exclusive: More Jockey Images from Prometheus (Read 80,264 times)

Gash

Quote from: AndroidDavid on Dec 16, 2011, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 15, 2011, 11:43:25 PM
Fox is so powerfull so they CAN prevent and stop leaks of set photos and trailers...This whole movie is soo secret about any detail. Something I haven't seen very long time...
I agree. Dark Knight Rises is I think more highly anticpated, yet lotss and lots of pictures have surfaced. it only makes people want to know more.

Dark Knight Rises? Really? Must be a genre thing, most of these comic strip/fantasy films leave me cold. To be honest I can't quite believe there are so many Batman films.

Still I think it's great they are keeping a tight reign on info about Prometheus.

Engineer1

Engineer1

Well Dark Knight rises was shot a lot on location, the production tried at first to prevent the leaks then they did not bother anymore. How can you stop people from taking pictures with their smart phones when you're shooting a brawl in Wall Street with hundreds of actors?
As for the story same as Prometheus, nobody knows just guesses...
PROMETHEUS has been shot mostly in closed sound stages or at isolated locations.
A lot of movies get the same treatment and are hush hush (the next Neil Blombkamp for exemple ELYSIUM).
Previous Scott's movies too...
So PROMETHEUS has nothing special going on for that matter.
We are just focused on this movie in particular.

As for the new Batman movies.
It would be a mistake to put them in the same wave of the comic book movie wave
The thing with the Dark Knight movies is that it's more a drama action thriller set in some sort of alternate real world than comic book fantasy. Nolan followed every rules that Scott used for ALIEN or BLADE RUNNER and applied them to the super hero genre.
If Scott did a Batman (or any superhero) movie i have no doubt it would look like Nolan's.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 15, 2011, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 15, 2011, 11:10:20 PM
Just a hunch....in the leaked trailer it looks like what's firing down on the crew aren't rockets or bombs but whatever is in those urns?

Consensus of opinion was that it's more likely just random debris raining down from the crashing ship.

Many assumed it was an Engineer ship, but it could just as easily have been a human craft.

It's both i think.
I have no doubt that the exploding ship is the derelict class Engineer's ship.
Then you have the debris and piece of landing gear from the shoot in Iceland?
Do the math. A human ship crashing into the Engineers ship to prevent him from reaching Earth.
Janek last stand ;)
And debris are flying all around, Shaw and Theron running for their lives.

ThisBethesdaSea

Um, the math on that may be wrong as those pieces we've seen in various photos are probably comped together. Sets are normally built in pieces. You're WILDLY speculating, which is of course okay. :)

Engineer1

Engineer1

Look at the pics again.
They show clear traces of damages ;)

ThisBethesdaSea

Yes there are damages, but they could've crashed landed or many things, which of course includes purposefully crashing into the SJs ship to prevent it from going to earth, however unlikely that leap is. :)

Engineer1

Engineer1

Yeah it just seems obvious to me but hey thats me ^^
We ll see ;)

But why unlikely?

ThisBethesdaSea

I guess because, based on all we know, or the little we know about Prometheus, deducing a big plot point like that based on some questionable damages is stretching logic. However, we are creatures of speculation to be sure. Tally ho!

harlock

After thinking more on my earlier post about the Engineer being responsible for terraforming Earth I got to thinking about the plot-hole of the Giant Human head.

So I got to thinking what if the Engineer was this "higher being and servant of the gods" and as such the gods, wanting Earth as a future domain, watch over the planet and engineer humanity, a race in the image of the gods, so they can terraform a world they know will be suitable to them, rather than creating an inhospitable world, wasting millenia of their time.

The Engineer would be imprisoned for trying to give humanity something forbidden. Just like the Prometheus allegory Ridley alluded to in a recent interview.

Now why a race of ancient god-like aliens would have so much interest in terraforming a planet then engineering a race in their image (one you would guess would be planned to be subservient to them and less technologically adept), watching over them and manufacturing their evolution over billions of years? The time-scale is the main thing that bothers me.

I find it hard to believe they did this over so long purely to have a place to live on... why take so many billions of years to do this? Why not settle in once the ecosystem levelled out billions of years ago? Was Earth just a research petri dish of biological engineering (Perhaps why the Engineer is called as he is) to them?
Did the Engineer rebelled against them, trying to save early humanity from being a slave-race to these alien gods with the gift of some advancement in technology and they got imprisoned for their efforts and so we are left to evolve and gain technology alone?

Perhaps the gods left of their own will like in 2001 and left clues to find them when we were sufficiently advanced? Then we are to be judged of being worthy to continue to exist? Recent plot-points revealed allude to it, what with an archeological dig revealing a star-map.

...Maybe perhaps the gift to humanity from the Engineer was his own genes to some humans?? Then evolution helped along the way to differentiate us? That would suitably get the gods goats up enough, I'd think, putting someone elses booger into the petri dish.

So many possibilities... any opinions?

BishopKind

Quote from: harlock on Dec 17, 2011, 12:21:27 AM

Now why a race of ancient god-like aliens would have so much interest in terraforming a planet then engineering a race in their image (one you would guess would be planned to be subservient to them and less technologically adept), watching over them and manufacturing their evolution over billions of years? The time-scale is the main thing that bothers me.

harlock,
You've made some good points in your post.

As for the time scale problem, maybe here is when the time travel issue enters on the movie scene...maybe  :)
Though is not in my taste (I'd prefer nothing about time travel in Prometheus)... 

ChrisPachi

Quote from: harlock on Dec 17, 2011, 12:21:27 AMNow why a race of ancient god-like aliens would have so much interest in terraforming a planet then engineering a race in their image (one you would guess would be planned to be subservient to them and less technologically adept), watching over them and manufacturing their evolution over billions of years? The time-scale is the main thing that bothers me.
It may be that the race that terraformed Earth did not intend to wait at all, but merely moved on. They may have gone dormant (I think you suggested this earlier) like the race in Dan O'Bannons origin story for Alien. The clue, whatever it is, may not have been intentional, so when the precocious humans get in their FTL star ship and land on the alien world they awaken them. Elizabeth Shaw is described as a woman of faith and a little naive, and it may be that she champions the missions, only to discover that her gods are monsters, quite literally.

Further to the awakening idea, I have long thought that (based on the leaked SDCC images and the trailer) that the Jockey chair is actually activated by one of the crew.

Just a guess of course, but I like the idea of a dormant ancient race being awoken, but rather than being benevolent they turn out to be down-right 'nasty'.

-Chris

Engineer1

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 17, 2011, 02:32:26 AM
Further to the awakening idea, I have long thought that (based on the leaked SDCC images and the trailer) that the Jockey chair is actually activated by one of the crew.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/ChrisPachi/apro3.jpg

Just a guess of course, but I like the idea of a dormant ancient race being awoken, but rather than being benevolent they turn out to be down-right 'nasty'.

-Chris

Sounds and look perfectly right!

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 17, 2011, 02:32:26 AM

Here be dragons...

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: harlock on Dec 17, 2011, 12:21:27 AMI got to thinking about the plot-hole of the Giant Human head.

The head looks Angle-European. If the Engineers were responsible for creating humans, then they must of guided own evolution to some degree. The suggestion is that they are the 'missing-link' somehow, and not for early humans, for modern humans.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2011, 02:59:03 AMHere be dragons..

I was recently reading through wmmvrrvrrmm's (most excellent) blog and came across this quote from Ridley:

Quote...and if the alien is really, what was it? Was it the face of the devil,  was it the face of the demon, because if you look at historical manuscripts and engravings, pictures, from wherever they come from, whether it's China, whether it's Europe, whatever the nationality, there's a kind of continuity of the idea of the perception of the demon, as there is about the dragon, right, so it's like taking off the mystical aspects of it and saying "it's nothing to do with that. It's a Mar..., no, Martian, Mars is not far away enough. It's a biological fact, it's a biological creature, and it's been here before.

Maybe someone with more context on this comment can clarify (the Laserdisc edition of Alien, released in 1992?), but it sure is an intriguing statement. Unless he was totally drunk at the time. ::)

-Chris

Gash

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 17, 2011, 03:05:18 AM
Quote from: harlock on Dec 17, 2011, 12:21:27 AMI got to thinking about the plot-hole of the Giant Human head.

The head looks Angle-European. If the Engineers were responsible for creating humans, then they must of guided own evolution to some degree. The suggestion is that they are the 'missing-link' somehow, and not for early humans, for modern humans.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2011, 02:59:03 AMHere be dragons..

I was recently reading through wmmvrrvrrmm's (most excellent) blog and came across this quote from Ridley:

Quote...and if the alien is really, what was it? Was it the face of the devil,  was it the face of the demon, because if you look at historical manuscripts and engravings, pictures, from wherever they come from, whether it's China, whether it's Europe, whatever the nationality, there's a kind of continuity of the idea of the perception of the demon, as there is about the dragon, right, so it's like taking off the mystical aspects of it and saying "it's nothing to do with that. It's a Mar..., no, Martian, Mars is not far away enough. It's a biological fact, it's a biological creature, and it's been here before.

Maybe someone with more context on this comment can clarify (the Laserdisc edition of Alien, released in 1992?), but it sure is an intriguing statement. Unless he was totally drunk at the time. ::)

-Chris

Sounds like he's channeling ideas from Nigel Kneale's 'Quatermass and the Pit'. Fine with me, it's a great idea.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'm not a big fan of the giant (Caucasian) human head and the whole ET creationism thing. Getting strange vibes (in a bad way)... Still excited about the movie though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed