Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 26, 2017, 06:24:19 PM

Author
Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books! (Read 51,436 times)

The Old One

The Old One

And it isn't an instant pre-order? I think you'll get your money's worth.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 28, 2019, 03:08:33 AM
It would be if the book wasn't contaminated by the inclusion of vehicles & tech from the later films.
The Nostromo is such an interesting subject that an entire book could easily be devoted to it.

The Old One

The Old One

Contaminated? lol Alright, I'd rather get the Nostromo, Sulaco, Patna, Auriga, Prometheus and Covenant altogether myself. (& Hopefully the Carpathia someday.)

windebieste

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 28, 2019, 08:56:31 PM
It would be if the book wasn't contaminated by the inclusion of vehicles & tech from the later films.
The Nostromo is such an interesting subject that an entire book could easily be devoted to it.

A book solely based on the Nostromo, the Narcissus and other chattels associated with the vehicle could be assembled.  It would have to be very intensively focused in a variety of areas to make the page count, covering every possible angle of the ship.  From pre-production concepts by Foss and Cobb to final set photographs and everything in between.  Not just elaborate and detailed schematics of the vehicle as we are seeing in the upcoming Langridge book but also include carpenter and set construction schematics as well.  Basically, a book that covers every facet of the vehicle from start to finish of the production, including a post cinema release history of what's happened to all the props since then and who has them.

There's still a lot of interest in ALIEN merchandise - possibly now more than ever - so a book dedicated solely on the Nostromo could definitely be published.  It would have hardcore appeal, that's for sure, and the mass market may not support it, but it's there in a dedicated way.  After all, the gear and tactics was no less of a focused attempt at realising everything relating to the Colonial Marines in the 'Colonial Marines Technical Manual'.  So it can be done.

How many pages?  At least 150.  Easy.   Time to assemble such a book?  About 4 years.

-Windebieste.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 28, 2019, 09:14:09 PM
Contaminated? lol Alright, I'd rather get the Nostromo, Sulaco, Patna, Auriga, Prometheus and Covenant altogether myself. (& Hopefully the Carpathia someday.)
Refresh my memory, what's the Carpathia?

I mean, other than the ship that rescued survivors from the Titanic.

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 28, 2019, 11:41:18 PM

A book solely based on the Nostromo, the Narcissus and other chattels associated with the vehicle could be assembled.  It would have to be very intensively focused in a variety of areas to make the page count, covering every possible angle of the ship.  From pre-production concepts by Foss and Cobb to final set photographs and everything in between.  Not just elaborate and detailed schematics of the vehicle as we are seeing in the upcoming Langridge book but also include carpenter and set construction schematics as well.  Basically, a book that covers every facet of the vehicle from start to finish of the production, including a post cinema release history of what's happened to all the props since then and who has them.

There's still a lot of interest in ALIEN merchandise - possibly now more than ever - so a book dedicated solely on the Nostromo could definitely be published.  It would have hardcore appeal, that's for sure, and the mass market may not support it, but it's there in a dedicated way.  After all, the gear and tactics was no less of a focused attempt at realising everything relating to the Colonial Marines in the 'Colonial Marines Technical Manual'.  So it can be done.

How many pages?  At least 150.  Easy.   Time to assemble such a book?  About 4 years.

-Windebieste.
Of interest (for me) would be comparisons between both versions of the (filmed) refinery platform and the Narcissus - ALIEN vs ALIENS shuttle sets.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 28, 2019, 11:41:18 PM

-Windebieste.

The way to make this work is to add the cargo platform and provide some cross-sections and details of what is inside that thing.

Elmazalman

I want to see the showers and toilets. :D

SM

Just aft of the main access ladder.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 29, 2019, 12:11:44 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Jul 28, 2019, 09:14:09 PM
Refresh my memory, what's the Carpathia?

I mean, other than the ship that rescued survivors from the Titanic.

Carpathia would be way too on the nose.

They need to keep it ancient, or stop naming the movies after the ships at all. Awakening was as good a title as any.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 29, 2019, 12:42:23 AM
I want to see the showers and toilets. :D

Communal toilets with an alien underneath.

The Old One

The Old One

After Covenant, Carpathia is the best prospective title.
Awakening is painfully generic.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 29, 2019, 12:30:55 AMOf interest (for me) would be comparisons between both versions of the (filmed) refinery platform and the Narcissus - ALIEN vs ALIENS shuttle sets.
Funny you should mention that, I'm kicking around ideas for a Narcissus-centric website.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 30, 2019, 04:46:51 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 29, 2019, 12:30:55 AMOf interest (for me) would be comparisons between both versions of the (filmed) refinery platform and the Narcissus - ALIEN vs ALIENS shuttle sets.
Funny you should mention that, I'm kicking around ideas for a Narcissus-centric website.
Please do. I would be interested in visiting it.

USG Ishimura

There are a whole bunch of differences between the Alien and Aliens Narcissus sets. On both sets the viewports at the front and the door at the back were built much more 'vertically' than they appear on the filming miniatures too which makes things even more interesting.

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Jul 29, 2019, 12:53:55 AM
Just aft of the main access ladder.
[emoji6]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed