Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,586 times)

Immortan Jonesy

:laugh: That's why I prefer Arcturians lol

SiL

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 22, 2021, 02:14:39 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 22, 2021, 01:58:49 PM
Now this thread is REALLY taking a turn! :laugh:
Back on topic we go please!

Okay. On topic. Likelihood judge issues the injunction come May 27th? I say strong.
Yeah, I see the injunction happening (un)fortunately.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Apr 22, 2021, 08:23:05 PM

Okay. On topic. Likelihood judge issues the injunction come May 27th? I say strong.

It's a tough bet, but I'd wager the preliminary injunction does not happen, because it's not a question of ownership (at least right now), but just a question of when that date of ownership changes. And if Disney truly has another year, you're essentially taking it away with this injunction in place. Then, say the trial drags out past that extra year, and Disney eventually wins. The question for Disney becomes.. You stopped everything US Court. So what did we win?

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 22, 2021, 08:52:37 PM

It's a tough bet, but I'd wager the preliminary injunction does not happen, because it's not a question of ownership (at least right now), but just a question of when that date of ownership changes. And if Disney truly has another year, you're essentially taking it away with this injunction in place. Then, say the trial drags out past that extra year, and Disney eventually wins. The question for Disney becomes.. You stopped everything US Court. So what did we win?

I hope you're right, my friend. I don't think any of us believe the brothers won't have their franchise back. We're just hoping SKULLS is allowed to continue and be the final entry until change over to them.

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah, it's not that I am against the brothers to be in favor of the mega corporation. It's just that I have this mad crush on Skulls and I hope it happens somehow.  ;D

Proteus

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 22, 2021, 10:28:33 PM
Yeah, it's not that I am against the brothers to be in favor of the mega corporation. It's just that I have this mad crush on Skulls and I hope it happens somehow.  ;D

A HARDCORE CRUSH. I neeeeeeeeed it!

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 22, 2021, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 22, 2021, 10:28:33 PM

A HARDCORE CRUSH. I neeeeeeeeed it!

It's forbidden, as thought by Shakespeare ~

And it flies high and away to maybe never come back, leaving behind a copyright battle.  :'(

BlueMarsalis79

Proteus

Hahahahahahahahaha! Perfect video for that.

Immortan Jonesy

What can I say, I am the antithesis of LT cos I love Skulls  :laugh:

Edit ~

Which means I'll be really upset if this never happens.  >:(

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

SiL

Disney's latest counter claim states the provision was not properly filed, and so they can ignore it. Disney is trying to worm out of it entirely - which is why I think the injunction is likely.

EDIT

Per Disney's lawyers:

There now exists between the parties an actual and justiciable controversy concerning the validity of Notice One and 20th Century's and defendants' respective rights. Defendants' notices fail to comply with these statutory requirements and are invalid as a matter of law. 20th Century seeks a declaration pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2201 that defendants' notices of termination are invalid. This action is necessary because defendants are improperly attempting to prematurely terminate 20th Century's rights to the Hunters Screenplay, at the very time that 20th Century is investing substantial time, money, and effort in developing another installment in its successful Predator franchise.

Huggs

They should just make a new alien movie instead.

;D

SiL

At least they definitely have the rights to that one ;D

Proteus

Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2021, 12:26:06 AM

Disney's latest counter claim states the provision was not properly filed, and so they can ignore it. Disney is trying to worm out of it entirely - which is why I think the injunction is likely.

EDIT

Per Disney's lawyers:

There now exists between the parties an actual and justiciable controversy concerning the validity of Notice One and 20th Century's and defendants' respective rights. Defendants' notices fail to comply with these statutory requirements and are invalid as a matter of law. 20th Century seeks a declaration pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2201 that defendants' notices of termination are invalid. This action is necessary because defendants are improperly attempting to prematurely terminate 20th Century's rights to the Hunters Screenplay, at the very time that 20th Century is investing substantial time, money, and effort in developing another installment in its successful Predator franchise.

Yeah, as much as I don't want an injunction to occur, I just feel like everything will lean toward the brothers. And why wouldn't the judge order in their favor? The franchise after all this time is rightfully theirs.

But man, what awful timing. And I'm sure the pandemic last year didn't help. Perhaps this film could have started production late last year had it not occurred. I mean, Dan did say he'd been working on this for 4 years. So there was sufficient time, but I'm sure there were other roadblocks in the way.

At this point, those 4 years will have been a waste because every fiber of my being is telling me the brothers topple Disney. Ugh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed