Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview

Started by ikarop, Sep 23, 2012, 04:33:02 PM

Author
Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview (Read 71,567 times)

Space Sweeper

Vickers

Just because something is done a certain way most of the time, it doesn't mean every film has to follow the same mold.  I do agree that Holloway would probably still be unlikeable if they were shooting Spaihts' draft - since Ridley would still be calling the shots.  But the wiser decision would have been to make Holloway more likeable thus allowing us to feel affected by his death and have us rooting for Shaw.

SpeedyMaxx

I somewhat suspect they may have aged him down in the hopes of making him more likable.  And though it may defy board logic, there's people online who seem to have enjoyed the guy.  I personally could take him or leave him, but I didn't outright hate him or anything.  There was a lot of preconception going in which I personally didn't bother with.  To me he just seemed to be an arrogant guy who got some karma, but who was still a decent person who didn't deserve to die by fire.  People are like that, they're contradictory.

Gilfryd

Girl with the Alien Tattoo?

fiveways

fiveways

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091630/

Black Goo of an alien origin enters through the mouth and turns people into zombies.

there is another one that I have in my mind that I remember form childhood.  Black goo running down that walls. 

EDIT:  It's Amityville horror.

BANE

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 25, 2012, 06:17:13 PM
Just because something is done a certain way most of the time, it doesn't mean every film has to follow the same mold.  I do agree that Holloway would probably still be unlikeable if they were shooting Spaihts' draft - since Ridley would still be calling the shots.  But the wiser decision would have been to make Holloway more likeable thus allowing us to feel affected by his death and have us rooting for Shaw.
It was still a relatively moving scene, IMO. Although yes, making him more likeable could have increased that. But alas...

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Prometheus for me is a beguiling mess. I enjoyed it the more I saw it, but it played it so safe, so much so that you could see it in the editing and most of the choices that were made. It was clear that Fox had more control then Ridely did.

I do find it funny how one person's opinion about the X Files comparison puts so many in a tizzy. Who gives a shit? The person in question loathed the film. That one device didn't sink the film for them. This should come as no surprise that the ammunition is unending.

Personally, I loved it and disliked it. The portion of the film that was derailed is impossible to side-step and it dumbs down (for me) so much of the good that is lost. But, the beauty of art is the opinions it culls, none right, none wrong.

Tough little S.O.B.

Amazing. so Spaiths was a genius and had amazing ideas and bewteen lindelof and ridley they butchered it and created that...well....that.  BRAVO!

SpeedyMaxx

He's a great writer.  But genius the original script was not.  It was way too on the nose IMO, starting with setting it on LV-426.

Tough little S.O.B.

Genius compared to the other two at least.

urvile

I need to go back and listen to it, but Lindelof says something to the effect of "sorry for being so cryptic about the Alien connection, but I can't really talk about it right now" huh?

RagingDragon

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 26, 2012, 01:29:32 PM
Prometheus for me is a beguiling mess. I enjoyed it the more I saw it, but it played it so safe, so much so that you could see it in the editing and most of the choices that were made. It was clear that Fox had more control then Ridely did.

I do find it funny how one person's opinion about the X Files comparison puts so many in a tizzy. Who gives a shit? The person in question loathed the film. That one device didn't sink the film for them. This should come as no surprise that the ammunition is unending.

Personally, I loved it and disliked it. The portion of the film that was derailed is impossible to side-step and it dumbs down (for me) so much of the good that is lost. But, the beauty of art is the opinions it culls, none right, none wrong.

People that create give a shit.  Writers give a shit.  Filmmakers give a shit.  The thousands of people struggling like hell to market their own wildly creative and well-made products give a shit.

You don't, though, do ya?  Don't give a shit that the two biggest points of the film, one being the mystery goo that was both ripped-off while being unexplained to the point of absurdity, and the other being the Engineer whose very soul and meaning were cut from the final film, were totally empty and ineffective for what everyone thought the film was trying to convey?

BethesdaSea don't give a shit!

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 09:37:35 PM
People that create give a shit.  Writers give a shit.  Filmmakers give a shit.  The thousands of people struggling like hell to market their own wildly creative and well-made products give a shit.

I do write for a living and work hard in the industry, I do write for film, and yet I liked it.  As did my boss, who is a filmmaker, and plenty of people I know.  So it's not just the bean town rubes, hmm?  There's no need to paint anyone as vacuous know-nothings who don't understand true art.  Let's calm down and take another series of deep cleansing breaths, shall we?  Would you like some tea?

RagingDragon

It's valiant of you to defend your yapping puppy sidekick :laugh: but what you've said has very little relevance to my post.  True art?  What are you talking about?  I'd love some tea.

I'm talking about storytelling basics, here.  Rookie mistakes that can be pointed out by anyone.  They require much less than an expert surrounded by experts such as yourself. ;D The black goo thing is significant, and this significance should be clear to any writer.

It's a trend to want to avoid overt plagiarism, especially when your Director and the marketing around your film are toting it as some second-coming for science-fiction.  It would be different if it were some secondary plot device, but it's the main crux of the entire film and could well end up being the origin of both humanity and the Alien.

Pretty big deal to me, and I'm obviously not alone.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 10:20:14 PM
It's valiant of you to defend your yapping puppy sidekick :laugh:

My what?  Dude, he seems like a nice enough fellow, but we don't talk and I don't have a clue who he is.  I just come here for the drugs and free ass.  And also discussion of scary science-fiction movies.

As for any claims of plagiarism, that sad old debate over the black stuff killed at least one big thread for pages and pages before the moderators clamped down on it for behavior and some unfortunate ragequit kicked in for people.  Me, I don't see a point in revisiting it now for more drama.  Suffice to say that I said my piece then, as did plenty of other people - to me, it's an old, old horror/sci-fi trope that goes way back which bears a few superficial similarities to the property you mentioned but does not, IMO, equate to the same thing in the final analysis.  And I don't think the general public really thought that either.  Some people disagree, and that's their business, but the last lockdown proved it wasn't something everyone would agree on, and that's okay. 

There are no cold, hard metrics to prove a garden-variety Internet argument about a movie some people like and some people don't.  The closest we could come, if we wanted to be lazy (I don't) is a critical and financial averaging - the film did well financially and did pretty decent critically, but reception was definitely divided nonetheless.  So in the end we're back where we started.  Some people like it, some people don't, and I doubt the Senate is going to convene a subcommittee over whether or not Prometheus is objectively a scientifically proven "good" or "bad" movie.

I don't consider myself an expert on anything, anywhere, but I did take exception to the tacky belittling of the guy, and the allegation that anyone who would dare like the movie or its plot is just a philistine who does not understand art, film or hard work.  Because that's just not so.  And honestly, it's just not that serious.  Like Hitchcock said, "Ingrid...it's only a mooovie."

QuoteI'd love some tea.

Fantastic!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed