Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 58,210 times)

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Z-101 on May 11, 2017, 04:25:46 PM
I'm not saying Alien 5 is a shoe-in just that there are many things that contribute to a studio's willingness or unwillingness to make a movie and that just because Ridley Scott says so doesn't mean his word is gospel.  Chances are Alien 5 will happen...eventually. Maybe not helmed by Blomkamp.  Maybe not with Weaver and Biehn from the shoulders down.

To be fair to Ridley, he was just referring to the proposed Blomkamp production.
No one including Scott is trying to predict what Fox will do longterm / decades down the road.

Quote from: Z-101 on May 11, 2017, 04:25:46 PM
But Rogue One has shown us that hollywood has no qualms about bringing back dead actors to star in movies, so the age of the actors no longer matters and as time goes on if the demand is high many things can be engineered that were once thought impossible...

Considering what Fox has done with the Alien and AVP franchises since Aliens, it's safe to say that anything is possible.
But that's kind of off topic isn't it?
From what I can see about this part of the AvPGalaxy site, it seems to discuss the A5 Neill Blomkamp project.
And that does not seem to be happening.

;)

yarko

District 9 is one of my favourite movies from the 21st century, and I really liked Chappie. I would have really liked to see an Alien movie directed by Blookamp, but I don't want Alien 3 to be retconned. It was my first Alien movie and I still love it despite all the hate from the community. I want to see new stories set in the alien universe, don't need to see 70 year-old Ripley from an alternate timeline.

Anyways, I'm sure after Alien Covenant's sequel they'll reach Blookamp again. By that time Sigourney will have finished her work at Avatar. So I don't really think this is the last time we hear about this project.

Toxic34

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 08, 2017, 05:51:38 AM
I'm so glad that Ridley Scott came to save the day. Let's hope that A:C makes enough money to ensure at least two more sequels. A5 was just a rank fan-fiction attempt going way too far, at least in my eyes. The whole idea of a retcon to bring back Hicks, Newt and Ripley as if it was 1992, just seemed so desperate and unimaginative. I'm happy that Ridley put an end to that nonsense, at least for now.

However, I'm sure that at some point down the line we will have a retcon, and then a reboot and then a remake... But for now we're safe  ;)

But I get it - for many people ALIENS is the best thing since sliced bread, and it's alluring mix of sic-fi and action combined with simplistic but highly likable characters and amazing special effects and pacing, just demands a sequel with more of the same. What I don't get is why we need Ripley, Hicks and Newt to get all of that.

I agree. We don't need Ripley, Hicks or Newt to make a worthy successor and wrap the series in a neat little bow. But 3 and Resurrection shafted us all on that end, and gave them horrible, sour taste resolutions. It would be perfect to have one last, baton-passing film to resolve their story, and break in the new generation that has to defeat everything once and for all. Just setting the film in an alternate timeline like the current Star Trek series would go a long way to that.

Does the film have to be as action-oriented as Aliens was? No, of course not. But it should have strands of its DNA, work to combine the best of both worlds, and have something worthy and original in the mix as well. We, the fans, deserve something to eliminate 3, Resurrection, AvP and Colonial Marines from our collective memory, and actually feel good about. Not to mention, feel quite happy and convinced with the Prometheus series as well. I want a beginning, middle and an end. We don't have an end.

Local Trouble

We just need another Ripley-free movie or two to run out the clock and inoculate the franchise against an 80 year old Weaver trying to kill it again.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 13, 2017, 02:22:06 AM
We just need another Ripley-free movie or two to run out the clock and inoculate the franchise against an 80 year old Weaver trying to kill it again.

A cameo would be nice. Something edgy though, like they recieve a transmission from Ripley, or as part of a story-building plot-twist involving Ripley. Mostly Ripley-free though, revolving around a new protagonist (not Daniels, keep her constrained to the prequels imo)...

bb-15

Yes. Ridley getting script control in Alien franchise away from Sigourney allows for the exploration of back story ideas (the Engineers) and the development of other characters like David.
Everything doesn't have to focus on Weaver anymore.

;)

windebieste

Yup.  Exactly. 

Weaver agreed to making 'ALIEN 3' on the proviso:

1.  It be about Ripley
2.  She dies at the end.
3.  NO GUNS.

Now, I have no problem with demands 1 or 2 but that final demand meant the script had to go the way it did.  It had put another Alien into a scenario with characters in a tight, claustrophopic environment.  The whole spaceship thing had already been done.  So a monastry (later a prison) where weapons were out of place became the main location for the drama to unfold.

Probably her more so than studio pressure was the reason 'ALIEN 3' started under less than favorable conditions.  After all, the producers put pressure on everyone to bring their preferences to the movie.  That means Weaver's influence was strong. 

More importantly, as a producer on the movie, it was Weaver who killed of the USCM in this series because no guns were to appear in the third movie.  Think about that. 

What's the point of the USCM without pulse rifles?  lol.   Weaver did it.

-Windebieste

EJA

Quote from: bb-15 on May 13, 2017, 08:55:56 AM

Yes. Ridley getting script control in Alien franchise away from Sigourney allows for the exploration of back story ideas (the Engineers) and the development of other characters like David.

;)

Ridley has messed the mythology up big time. Don't give him further control.

The Cruentus

Quote from: EJA on May 13, 2017, 12:48:53 PM

;)

This mess might not be Ridley's fault entirely, Fox are known meddlers so maybe they had a hand in it as well. I believe they made Cameron cut a lot of his movie out, the intended version was only released much later.

As for Alien 5, I no longer have an opinion on that. Perhaps it is best to leave it at Alien/Aliens/Alien3 and if you need to watch it, the parody/satire  A:R :laugh:
Instead they could make a interquel set beteween Aliens and Alien 3 to explain the egg.

EJA

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2017, 12:54:58 PM

;)

This mess might not be Ridley's fault entirely, Fox are known meddlers so maybe they had a hand in it as well. I believe they made Cameron cut a lot of his movie out, the intended version was only released much later.

As for Alien 5, I no longer have an opinion on that. Perhaps it is best to leave it at Alien/Aliens/Alien3 and if you need to watch it, the parody/satire  A:R :laugh:
Instead they could make a interquel set beteween Aliens and Alien 3 to explain the egg.

I believe it was Ridley's idea to have

Spoiler
David create the Xenomorph in the 22nd century.
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: EJA on May 13, 2017, 01:09:42 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2017, 12:54:58 PM

;)

I believe it was Ridley's idea to have

Spoiler
David create the Xenomorph in the 22nd century.
[close]

I was referring to the pacing issues and
Spoiler
sped up life-cycle and the Lope incident
[close]
Fox may have had a hand in that, I know the David thing is Ridley's idea.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Blomkamp's Alien 5 would have been bad in my opinion. The guy only directed one good movie and everything else from pretty much sucked. I'm happy with the movies that we have now.

Scorpio

I did not like District 9, either.  Can't understand why that got so much praise.  Other than the special effects and the setting.  It is fairly generic, IMO.

whiterabbit

District 9 was oh-hum at best. I thought Elysium was on pare with it and hell, I've never finished Chappie.

Perfect-Organism

I actually think the odds of the Blomkamp Alien project went up a few notches since the release of Covenant.  Covenant did not do well enough to really warrant the full exploration of Ridley Scott's vision.  He may get to do another Alien film, but I suspect that it will be a wrap for him afterwards.  But the film did just well enough to show that the franchise is worth saving, and I think Blomkamp's film may be just the ticket to do that.  There are many people who would love an alternate continuation of Aliens that features Ripley, Hicks, and Newt.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed