Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 80,070 times)

The Kurgan

I think you are right.

Even if Disney would rent it out, the expected profit margin of an Alien movie is probably too low or too unreliable to be an attractive option for another studio.

Voodoo Magic

That's why it will be Hulu, Hulu, Hulu.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: irn on Aug 23, 2019, 04:25:14 PMI suppose they could, but it might be a cost issue. Relatively speaking, the Alien films haven't been big budget productions. So if leasing the rights was say $20 million, then that would take up a huge chunk of the budget. I have no idea how much it would cost of course. It might be way less than that.

The renting fee doesn't have to be high. Could easily be a few million or a small percentage of the profits.
Disney's about money, and a low amount of money is still better than no money at all.
Especially when they don't have to do anything for it and aren't the ones at risk making a loss.

irn

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 24, 2019, 03:45:14 AM
The renting fee doesn't have to be high. Could easily be a few million or a small percentage of the profits.
Disney's about money, and a low amount of money is still better than no money at all.
Especially when they don't have to do anything for it and aren't the ones at risk making a loss.

True. It would be good if they could do something like that. Perhaps from a marketing perspective Disney may prefer to have a bloody R-rated series like Alien not be directed associated with their brand, although they'd be happy to take the profits.

The Kurgan

If they don't use the license themselves, they will probably just sit on it for a while.

Every theater room where a competitor made Alien movie runs, is one less where a Disney heavyweight could run.

Xiggz456

Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 24, 2019, 10:52:27 AM
If they don't use the license themselves, they will probably just sit on it for a while.

Every theater room where a competitor made Alien movie runs, is one less where a Disney heavyweight could run.

Yes but both Covenant and The Predator topped the box office on their respective opening weekends. I think it would still may make sense for Disney to try and dominate as many weeks as it can in theaters with their brands (just insert Alien or Predator somewhere in between the heavyweight releases). So while I still think a streaming series is the way to go, another film isn't entirely out of question.  But I highly doubt that they'd license it out.

Magegg

Let's face it, Fox did a terrible job with the latest entries of the X-Men, Alien and Predator. Disney wants thriving franchises, not critical flops and divisive movies with diminishing returns.

The Scott's Alien prequel series should be aborted and forgotten just like the Star Wars prequels were. Alien reboot movie and/or TV series please :)

Just my humble opinion, of course.

I really hope Disney picks up Blomkamp's project; Weaver nostalgia could renew interest in the franchise and then pick up from there with new stories (like Cameron's trying to do with the Terminator Whatever new film).

The Kurgan

Well, on paper Disney has everything to make sucessful Alien or Predator stuff, mostly endless money to pay top talent.

Question is if they can or are willing to use that effective enough to actually make not only an successful, but also a good Alien or Predator movie\series.

Magegg

It depends on what you call a 'good' A/P movie.

Some people like Scott's prequels (and I'm talking about Covenant) because it had gore and horror and sexuality.

I don't care that much if they take a part of the focus on that and they instead make a good 'mostly sci-fi oriented' thing.

But I really don't care that much how angle of the A/P series they focus on, as long as the're good movies (Prometheus and Covenant and The Predator scripts were cinematic garbage, IMO).

The Kurgan

Sure, there is no pleasing everyone.

For example, I don't need a emphasis on sci-fi in my A/P movies. Never was anyway.

At least let them be good movies sounds great, but is easier said than done. Especially for Alien IMO.

Magegg

Magegg

As long as they're good (critically and general audience loving them) and succesful, I don't care that much about the focus.

Star Trek reboot was pretty good, even when the focus wasn't like the original show.

Covenant and The Predator were anything but good. They should distance from those efforts.

Evanus

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 03:57:49 PMThe Scott's Alien prequel series should be aborted and forgotten just like the Star Wars prequels were. Alien reboot movie and/or TV series please :)

I really hope Disney picks up Blomkamp's project; Weaver nostalgia could renew interest in the franchise and then pick up from there with new stories (like Cameron's trying to do with the Terminator Whatever new film).

Anyway, they didn't bomb that hard and I think enough people are interested in a sequel, as long as it's done properly. Just abandoning them would be so sloppy, hopefully it doesn't happen. I hope the inclusion of Covenant in their sizzle reel wasn't just random.

Magegg

A Covenant sequel won't bring any new fans into the franchise, I can make you sure that.

Let the prequels go, then reboot or if you want to you can do some TV series that sorts of explains what happens inbetween but it's not the main attraction.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
A Covenant sequel won't bring any new fans into the franchise, I can make you sure that.

Neither will reviving characters from 30 years ago.

Not trying to hold on to past glories and do a new thing that can stand on it's own feet would be the best for reviving the franchise IMO.

Evanus

Yeah, I think it also depends on the execution. I say finish the prequels properly, and then do a soft reboot or something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed