A Beautiful Disaster, Alien 3 30th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #145

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 30, 2022, 05:01:10 PM

Author
A Beautiful Disaster, Alien 3 30th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #145 (Read 8,558 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 145th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop, Omegamorph, Voodoo Magic and Xenomorphine are back for this retrospective episode on Alien 3 to discuss a film hailed by some as a misunderstood masterpiece, and an absolute disaster of a film by others. A divisive film amongst fandom, but undeniably a fascinating story of film-making with many could-have or should-have beens.

A Beautiful Disaster, Alien 3 30th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #145

We discuss how our opinions on the film have changed, the film’s failures, it’s successes, our alternative ideas and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

We’ve previously had the pleasure of being joined on the podcast by Charles de Lauzirika to discuss the effort that went into producing the Assembly Cut of Alien 3. If you haven’t already (or fancy a refresher) be sure to check that episode out! Also, make sure you keep an eye on AvP Galaxy for an upcoming interview with one of Alien 3’s screenwriters!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

BlueMarsalis79

Darkness

I watched the Assembly Cut and the Theatrical last weekend. I still prefer the Assembly Cut overall. I like that we see the Super Facehugger although the dog makes more sense than the ox. I remember when I first saw Alien 3. Must have been about '96 as a young lad when ITV were showing the trilogy one weekend. I didn't mind it at the time. As I got older, and when the Legacy DVD boxset came out in 2000, I really didn't like it. I was complaining about the bad CGI.

Then when the Assembly Cut came out, it did grow on me. I like the setting, the cast and characters, the hybrid alien, the music. When I was watching the Theatrical last weekend, I do still understand why so many people really don't like it. It is a big contrast to Aliens and if it had have come out before Aliens, it would have been better received.

Ingwar

I prefer A3 than Aliens. You can stone me now ;D

Stitch

Quote from: Ingwar on May 30, 2022, 08:53:21 PMI prefer A3 than Aliens. You can stone me now ;D
S'all good. I agree.

Darwinsgirl

I haven't finished it yet. But so far there have been multiple points or observations that I had not made before. After having watched this film many, many times that was a bonus for me. ;D

I enjoy having Omegamorph as a reviewer. He is not on as much and enjoy his views. As he and xenomorphine both stated The Bishop animatronics is so well done its one of my favorite scenes.

One thing though I enjoy watching the youtube broadcast and Omega you have a tendency to cover your mouth with your hand. And even with the volume turned up I can't always make out what is said it comes out jumbled. Just saying.  ;)

Darkness

You mentioned the test screenings. I can't find much info about what the differences were. @Corporal Hicks You mentioned in your ADI interview about the eggs. Was that true that there was no eggs initially?

QuoteAaron: So, the appearance of the eggs and the Facehugger in the opening credits of Alien 3 has always been a point of conversation when it comes to the fans. Now if I remember correctly, the addition of the egg was actually a later thing following test screenings and we only see the one egg on screen but the call sheets actually mentioned two. Was that just an extra in case of accidents or do you recall if it was intended that we see the multiple eggs on screen to account for the multiple embryos.

@Xenomorphine You quoted an interview from somewhere about Fincher saying that there wasn't money for it? Where's this interview?

Kradan

Kradan

f**k yes ! You can't imagine how long have I been waiting for this !

May 31, 2022, 05:52:49 PM

Quote from: Darkness on May 30, 2022, 06:16:40 PMthe bad CGI

*angry Corporal noises*

immortalundead

Only started listening to podcasts recently, but I've been liking the previous ones about alien3, looking forward to listening to this one  :D

Kradan

I wanna agree with RidgeTop about the difference between cuts. I once caught theatrical cut on TV and I have distinct memory of how jarring transition from shot of sprinklers to Dillon looking at a body of a dead inmate felt

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 31, 2022, 03:10:39 PMOne thing though I enjoy watching the youtube broadcast and Omega you have a tendency to cover your mouth with your hand. And even with the volume turned up I can't always make out what is said it comes out jumbled. Just saying.  ;)

I'll let him know that. And we're trying to pressure him into buying a proper microphone too.

Jun 01, 2022, 08:05:26 AM

Quote from: Darkness on May 31, 2022, 04:29:27 PMYou mentioned the test screenings. I can't find much info about what the differences were. @Corporal Hicks You mentioned in your ADI interview about the eggs. Was that true that there was no eggs initially?

They're absent from the workprint vhs rip which was actually a taping of one of the screentested cuts of the film.

Quote@Xenomorphine You quoted an interview from somewhere about Fincher saying that there wasn't money for it? Where's this interview?

It's from the interviews in the Dark Horse adaptation. I've uploaded them here, Eric kindly photographed for me. https://imgur.com/a/TzE2iJG

Jun 01, 2022, 08:06:36 AM

Quote from: Kradan on May 31, 2022, 05:50:30 PMf**k yes ! You can't imagine how long have I been waiting for this !

Hope it entertains!

Quote from: Darkness on May 30, 2022, 06:16:40 PMthe bad CGI

*angry Corporal noises*

:'( I'm hoping he knows now, that there's very little CGI!!!  :P

Jun 01, 2022, 08:07:07 AM

Quote from: immortalundead on May 31, 2022, 10:41:32 PMOnly started listening to podcasts recently, but I've been liking the previous ones about alien3, looking forward to listening to this one  :D

Thanks immortal! Thanks for listening, and hope you enjoy this one. :)

Jun 01, 2022, 08:07:34 AM

Quote from: Kradan on May 31, 2022, 11:49:07 PMI wanna agree with RidgeTop about the difference between cuts. I once caught theatrical cut on TV and I have distinct memory of how jarring transition from shot of sprinklers to Dillon looking at a body of a dead inmate felt

That's interesting to hear but it was never something that stuck out to me.

Darkness

Hmm, that's about the dog-burster sequence rather than the eggs. But surely by that point the ox-burster stuff would have already been filmed. Was that not already in the test screening or was the ox stuff completely cut out well before that?

I didn't realise the workprint was from a cam of a test screening. I just thought it was a VHS tape.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, Xenomorphine was talking about the test screening having no burster sequence. The ox-burster was filmed, then cut. Then after the testings, Fincher was given the money to go film the new dog-burster stuff. It was reshoot documentation on the old Alien Archives website where we learnt that the eggs were a part of the reshoot.

I assume it was a VHS camcorder.

BlueMarsalis79

That's one of the key reasons I don't think the Assembly Cut resembles David Fincher's Final Cut that Ralph Brown mentioned. No Egg on the Sulaco™

[cancerblack]

Based and Opening-Is-Representative-Not-Literal-pilled.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed