The Blade Runner Thread

Started by Shasvre, Mar 03, 2011, 01:15:19 AM

Author
The Blade Runner Thread (Read 224,427 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Sean Young on Surviving Hollywood's Many Toxic Men
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sean-young-on-surviving-hollywoods-many-toxic-men

I wanted to ask you about Blade Runner, because the "love scene" in that film between your character and Harrison Ford's is incredibly aggressive and uncomfortable to watch. It almost starts out like it's going to be an assault. He pushes you, blocks the door, shoves you across the room, and then the saxophone kicks in and there's kissing.

Well, honestly, Ridley [Scott] wanted me to date him. He tried very hard in the beginning of the show to date him, and I never would. I was like, nah. And then he started dating the actress who played Zhora, Joanna Cassidy, and I felt relieved. And then we do this scene, and I think it was Ridley. I think Ridley was like, f**k you. I was thinking, "Why did this have to be like that? What was the point of that?" and I think it was Ridley's none-too-subtle message that he was getting even with me.

You rejected him and he didn't take it well.

I don't think so, no. He never hired me again, and that was weird. What the f**k? You hire Russell Crowe a gazillion times and you're not gonna hire me again? And I was very nice to Ridley over the years. I never badmouthed him. It didn't occur to me until later that I guess I'd offended him.

Was the final insult by Ridley giving you that 30-second hologram cameo in Blade Runner 2049?

Wasn't that so full of shit? And there was nothing I could do about it. It was very clear that they knew that the audience would be upset that I wasn't in it, but they didn't want me to bitch about that publicly. So, they paid me some money, made me sign a non-disclosure agreement, and gave me 30 seconds. And I was like, fine. They did give my son Quinn a job on 2049 in visual arts, and I said all was forgiven. He's got great skills.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, we discussed that in the Gucci thread...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Ah, thanks for the "heads up"!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Probably belongs in this thread though, you can always move that discussion here.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Not much discussion over there to move. It's probably okay in both places. Hicks can ultimately decide.  :)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 26, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Sean Young on Surviving Hollywood's Many Toxic Men
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sean-young-on-surviving-hollywoods-many-toxic-men

I wanted to ask you about Blade Runner, because the "love scene" in that film between your character and Harrison Ford's is incredibly aggressive and uncomfortable to watch. It almost starts out like it's going to be an assault. He pushes you, blocks the door, shoves you across the room, and then the saxophone kicks in and there's kissing.

Well, honestly, Ridley [Scott] wanted me to date him. He tried very hard in the beginning of the show to date him, and I never would. I was like, nah. And then he started dating the actress who played Zhora, Joanna Cassidy, and I felt relieved. And then we do this scene, and I think it was Ridley. I think Ridley was like, f**k you. I was thinking, "Why did this have to be like that? What was the point of that?" and I think it was Ridley's none-too-subtle message that he was getting even with me.

You rejected him and he didn't take it well.

I don't think so, no. He never hired me again, and that was weird. What the f**k? You hire Russell Crowe a gazillion times and you're not gonna hire me again? And I was very nice to Ridley over the years. I never badmouthed him. It didn't occur to me until later that I guess I'd offended him.

Was the final insult by Ridley giving you that 30-second hologram cameo in Blade Runner 2049?

Wasn't that so full of shit? And there was nothing I could do about it. It was very clear that they knew that the audience would be upset that I wasn't in it, but they didn't want me to bitch about that publicly. So, they paid me some money, made me sign a non-disclosure agreement, and gave me 30 seconds. And I was like, fine. They did give my son Quinn a job on 2049 in visual arts, and I said all was forgiven. He's got great skills.

And why should've he hired her again ? "Cause she was nice to him ? I mean, is it like contractual obligation in Hollywood or something ?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

He never hired that Harrison Ford bloke again either.

Nor Joanna Cassidy...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Has Ridley brought back any cast members from Blade Runner? It's probably more a result of how hellish the shoot was than anything.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 26, 2021, 07:45:57 PM
He never hired that Harrison Ford bloke again either.

Nor Joanna Cassidy...

What a hack ! I guess, Ford refused to date him too

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 26, 2021, 07:48:38 PM
Has Ridley brought back any cast members from Blade Runner?

In spirit:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Grace Jones as android? Imagine that.

QuoteWhy Grace Jones turned down the lead role in Ridley Scott film 'Blade Runner'

Grace Jones is one of the most striking women to have ever entered the public consciousness. Her look screams superstar, and Jones brings a captivating element to everything she does. Whether this is on screen or on stage at the O2 Arena, Jones warrants your full attention.

When musicians make the often ill-fated switch to movies, it usually ends up being nothing short of a disaster — sorry, James Hetfield and Vanilla Ice. Acting is made to look easy by the professionals but made to look like rocket science when executed painfully poorly. Jones, though, who had made appearances in the movies before she'd ever released music, was just as comfortable on set as she was on stage.

Soon enough, everybody wanted a piece of Grace Jones. In the mid-1980s, she was simultaneously one of the most adored pop stars on the planet, as well as an A-list actress of which every director wanted to cast. Before Jones starred in Zula and A View To a Kill, however, she had been approached by Ridley Scott for a leading role in the now-iconic 1982 sci-fi picture Blade Runner, which she remarkably snubbed.

At the time, she was in a relationship with Jean-Paul Gaude. Her loyalties to the director prevented Jones from taking a role that would have ascended her career to the mountain top of Hollywood. Despite the slip-up, Jones holds no regrets. "Jean-Paul wanted me only to work with him," she explained in her 2015 memoirs, I'll Never Write My Memoirs. "Especially if I was going to do a film. He wanted me to do a film only with him, before anyone else. I knew he would be adamant that it was a bad move to appear in Blade Runner. I immediately said no, before I had even read the script and before I had even asked him. When he heard about the film, he said what I thought he would say — it would be too commercial, and I would become too Hollywood. I would be a sellout.

"I still had the script, though, and the night after I had passed on the part, I was flying to Paris. I decided to read it on the plane. I absolutely loved it. It was set in a universe I visited a lot in my work and play. As soon as I landed I decided I would call them back and reverse my decision. I was too late. Overnight they had cast someone else."

She continued: "I should have made that decision myself, rather than being caught up in Jean-Paul's rivalry with Ridley Scott in the world of commercials... If I had seen the film Ridley had made a couple of years before, The Duellists, which was fabulous, I wouldn't have thought for a moment about accepting. I said no without reading the script, which was very stupid of me," Jones admitted.

However, this wasn't the only A-list role that her relationship with Gaude prevented her from accepting. "The James Bond producers had really wanted me to be in a Bond movie, because in the 1980s, with the franchise threatened by changing times, they were chasing fashion and looking to reach a wider audience by involving more pop and rock," she explained.

"They had wanted me to be in Octopussy, in the title role, played by Maud Adams, but there was some anxiety about having a black woman as a villain. A Bond movie is, for all the appearance of sex and violence, a fundamentally very conservative franchise," Jones added.

While for most actors, the chance to play a leading role in a Bond movie is a once in a lifetime opportunity that they would climb over hot coals to gain an audition, Jones was the rare exception. Hollywood needed Jones rather than her needing the glamour of the industry, and, in truth, missing out on these opportunities is not a source of regret. When her relationship with Gaude ended, the phone was still ringing, and she finally caved in to the Broccoli family's demands by appearing in A View To A Kill.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/grace-jones-turned-down-lead-role-ridley-scott-blade-runner/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Don't think she was ever mentioned in Dangerous Days or Future Noir?

I know Dustin Hoffman was originally going to play Deckard. Scott and Michael Deely even had several meetings in NY with him and he was quite keen, but I think he wanted to change the story too much.

Ingwar

Ingwar

German documentary:

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/089086-000-A/das-phaenomen-blade-runner/

French, English, Spanish, Polish and Italian subtitles available.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed