Alien 6 Film Collection

Started by SpanishAdam, Aug 14, 2018, 08:21:02 AM

Author
Alien 6 Film Collection (Read 4,972 times)

SpanishAdam

SpanishAdam

Sorry, there's probably a topic about this somewhere but trying to search for it brings up pretty much everything and I didn't want to find a needle in a haystack.

I'm assuming that people here will probably have the Alien 6 Film Collection that was released a short time ago. What exactly is on it compared to, say, the quadrilogy? I assume the DVD and Blu Ray version are identical (as far as content, anyway) too.

I have the Alien Egg Blu Ray collection of the first four films. Does it just have the same stuff as that but with Prometheus and Covenant?

I'm interested in buying because not only do I not own the last two films, but I don't have (and have no intention of getting) a Blu Ray player so it would be nice to have a collection I can watch :p I don't have the Quadrilogy anymore so I'm getting a hankering to sit through them all again!

Thanks!

The Old One

The Old One

You're right you shouldn't bother with a Blu-ray player.

You should get a 4K Blu-ray player, as ALIEN 1979 is getting a 4K Release soon.
But if you can't wait until then, in the meantime;

I'd recommend that you get the 2010 Alien Anthology Blu-ray boxset 6- disc that includes the two extras discs.
Then buy the prequels separately, I'd recommend the 3- disc Blu-ray set for Prometheus, 3D, Blu-ray and extras disc.
For Alien Covenant I'd recommend the 4K two disc set, as in addition to further detail the colour timing on 4K is more
genuine to the cinema release.

There's a whole host of reasons for the Anthology Blu-ray being superior to the DVD.
It simply has more extras, looks and sounds far superior for a marginal increase in price.

If you have no interest in 4K or the extras, the 6- film Blu-ray anthology is the way to go.

SpanishAdam

SpanishAdam

I have the Alien Anthology already (The Egg thing), and I don't believe there was a DVD version (but I could be wrong).

I kinda want to stay away from buying a Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray or whatever, since I'd only watch the Alien & Predator movies, and Doctor Who (which is DVD anyway so hardly a great use for 4K).

I have a DVD player though so I'm happy not having a super duper 4K version, it's mainly the extra stuff I care about because I like that sorta thing.

The Old One

The Old One

Unfortunately the majority of the extras only exist on the Blu-rays, DVDs are getting left behind.

SpanishAdam

SpanishAdam

Damn.

Well thanks anyway!

Nostromo

Nostromo

I need to get a 4k tv soon. Think Alien or Aliens will look as grainy as in the blu ray formats? Especially Aliens, grains a la masse in there.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

The 2010 Alien Anthology 6-disc Blu-ray set is essential. For me, the main advantage - over the old DVD Quadrilogy set - is more behind-the-scenes material and outtakes from the films - including the premiere presentation of the deleted Burke cocoon scene - I've waited years to see this - it's disappointing and brief, but nice to finally have it released.

I'm not sure whether the 4K release of Alien will include the sequels and prequels or just the original film?

The Old One

The Old One

Just the original film for this upcoming release.
Ridley Scott supervised and approved.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

There needs to be fodder for future anniversaries.

The Old One

The Old One

Aha indeed, although I'd rather not wait until 2022 to get A3 on 4K.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 16, 2018, 06:27:00 AM
Just the original film for this upcoming release.
Ridley Scott supervised and approved.
I'll be happy if the black crush is dialled back and no teal & orange this time.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 15, 2018, 03:54:38 PM
I need to get a 4k tv soon. Think Alien or Aliens will look as grainy as in the blu ray formats? Especially Aliens, grains a la masse in there.

The grain in Aliens is inherent to the film stock that Cameron chose. They could smooth it out by slathering it with DNR, but then you'd no longer be looking at the film that he made. Embrace the grain.  ;D

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah, the grain is part of the film for me. Its a characteristic that I would miss if it was completely removed.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Yep, the grain is part of the film, nothing wrong with it though as its a good reminder of how films were done back then, in fact some films today have deliberately put grain into the film just for the effect.

The Old One

The Old One

JC did apply a layer of noise reduction to certain areas in the Aliens Blu-ray, but not to the extent of Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed