Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 272,240 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 29, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 28, 2021, 11:56:10 PM
Uh...

Spoiler
Did that alien just shrug off several direct hits from a pulse rifle?
[close]

Or it's bad aim.

Spoiler

SHOOT FOR THE SHOULDERS!!!!

[close]
Honestly, I see the issues with the art, but it's good enough that I could enjoy this if the writing was good... but my gripes with the writing are piling up.

In the comic's (minor) defense, most of my complaints with this issue are crammed onto those three pages. Singling those pages out definitely magnifies the problems for people who aren't reading the whole thing.

426Buddy

I'd prefer Sam Keith over this dreck.

I've seen enough of the art and story here to make me gIad I'm no longer collecting.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: judge death on May 29, 2021, 02:30:36 AM
WTF did I just read, was hard to keep track of what happened in the panels and then a guy with a ribcage thats molted like that still talks and shots his pulse rifle? Do I even need to say a person wouldnt be able to do that xD

Spoiler
Oh yeah. It's hard to function with one cracked rib.... versus having your chest dug out like a buried treasure. Alien claws "ripped out his ribs" is how we finished issue 2. Yet he one handedly lifts and fires that pulse rifle...

But it's a good thing though because his Colonial Marine partner decided to stop shooting the Alien's shoulders and give up - we shot you. No fair!  ;D
[close]

Quote from: Nukiemorph on May 29, 2021, 10:40:50 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 29, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 28, 2021, 11:56:10 PM
Uh...

Spoiler
Did that alien just shrug off several direct hits from a pulse rifle?
[close]

Or it's bad aim.

Spoiler

SHOOT FOR THE SHOULDERS!!!!

[close]
Honestly, I see the issues with the art, but it's good enough that I could enjoy this if the writing was good... but my gripes with the writing are piling up.

In the comic's (minor) defense, most of my complaints with this issue are crammed onto those three pages. Singling those pages out definitely magnifies the problems for people who aren't reading the whole thing.

That's fair. The first three pages are the worst of the book. But it was less singling out those pages and more giving visual aid to Local's understandable confusion with the particular logic of the situation.

But also to be fair, that lack of logic in writing from all different directions can take a reader out of the book and damper the rest of the story. If your meal starts you out with a bad taste in your mouth, it can ruin the rest of the meal. I know it did at least for me.  :-\

SiL

SiL

I feel if something like those three pages exist to be singled out in the first place, the story is weak.

Engineer

Engineer

I think the art is bad throughout the entirety of all 3 issues, except for the sheep-things... the alien shots are definitely the worst.

But look at those sheep-things. It looks like a completely different artist drew them!! They turned out good! I think those turned out good, and look like a different artist drew them, because it was the one thing he had to use his imagination for and create from scratch; everything else he had photos and screenshots to use.

PS. Why do the two aliens on page 10 look too small?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 29, 2021, 12:49:43 PM

Spoiler
Oh yeah. It's hard to function with one cracked rib.... versus having your chest dug out like a buried treasure. Alien claws "ripped out his ribs" is how we finished issue 2. Yet he one handedly lifts and fires that pulse rifle...
[close]
Spoiler
What is his pec even attached to any more? HE HAS NO STERNUM. How is he raising his arm in the first place?!
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on May 29, 2021, 01:19:22 PM

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
What is his pec even attached to any more? HE HAS NO STERNUM. How is he raising his arm in the first place?!
[close]
Lmfao

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 29, 2021, 12:42:18 PM

Inhuman Condition is genuinely one of my favorite Aliens comics, narratively and Keith's art.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 29, 2021, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 29, 2021, 12:42:18 PM

Inhuman Condition is genuinely one of my favorite Aliens comics, narratively and Keith's art.

It's not in my top 5 but I agree that SK's style really works with that particular story.

But I'll take his crazy as sh*t art over this soulless photoshopped turd any time.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2021, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2021, 09:15:47 PM
Quote from: hawkangel on May 28, 2021, 04:04:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2021, 08:49:24 AM

I'm still enjoying the story though.
Spoiler
Cool to see where the hosts of the hooved Alien now. I liked the callback to Alien 3 re: the marks on their faces, but having it carry to the human hosts didn't sit right with me. 
[close]

Didn't some comics do this too? I remember the first Superman/Aliens did the "marks on the face" thing as well unless I'm mistaken.

Nothing jumps out at me, but I can't say I've read the DC crossovers that many times. I just thought of Spike from Alien 3 immediately.

Spoiler
Marks on the face goes back to Alien.
[close]

Remind me? The sucker marks? I think this is distinctly more based on Spike's injuries.

Somehow, the art looks less crappy on the actual printed pages, than reading digitally.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I had a chance to thumb through the first issue when it was released and it was still off-putting imo.

Still Collating...

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 28, 2021, 05:09:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2021, 09:23:49 PM
Really hope they go with a new artist once this arc is up.

Agreed. The lackluster quality of the line art has really sabotaged this first comic. Issue #3 has made it clear that Larroca just can't do Aliens. They're so obviously toys, and not posed beyond what the toys can manage. Even in the same panel, the big chap obviously referenced from the Hot Toys figure (with its less than screen accurate sculpt), changes its reference in the next panel, showing a completely different face design.

It's atrocious that professionals are so lazily tracing figures. But for me that's not even the worst part... What annoys me more is that here just like in Aliens Fire and Stone the artists do an awful job in posing the figures! They can do so much if you just try, just look at D Amazing's youtube how he poses Aliens and Predators. You can get dynamic poses and make them feel alive if you try enough and have a good understanding of anatomy and motion which you would expect from an artist. But obviously not here... The story isn't perfect but I'm willing to give it a chance. It got me intrigued enough. But the art - the awful Aliens and the faces and the weird self insertion is really taking me out of the story.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 29, 2021, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: SM on May 28, 2021, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2021, 09:15:47 PM
Quote from: hawkangel on May 28, 2021, 04:04:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2021, 08:49:24 AM

I'm still enjoying the story though.
Spoiler
Cool to see where the hosts of the hooved Alien now. I liked the callback to Alien 3 re: the marks on their faces, but having it carry to the human hosts didn't sit right with me. 
[close]

Didn't some comics do this too? I remember the first Superman/Aliens did the "marks on the face" thing as well unless I'm mistaken.

Nothing jumps out at me, but I can't say I've read the DC crossovers that many times. I just thought of Spike from Alien 3 immediately.

Spoiler
Marks on the face goes back to Alien.
[close]

Remind me? The sucker marks? I think this is distinctly more based on Spike's injuries.

Somehow, the art looks less crappy on the actual printed pages, than reading digitally.

Yeah sucker marks.  Haven't seen the comic.

Nukiemorph

That's fair. The first three pages are the worst of the book. But it was less singling out those pages and more giving visual aid to Local's understandable confusion with the particular logic of the situation.
I understand that wasn't the intent. Just felt like that's where the thread was going with it.
But also to be fair, that lack of logic in writing from all different directions can take a reader out of the book and damper the rest of the story. If your meal starts you out with a bad taste in your mouth, it can ruin the rest of the meal. I know it did at least for me.  :-\
I also agree with this. My trust in the author took a major hit right at the start of the issue and it dampened my enthusiasm for the rest of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed