What do you think about the lenght of the campaign ?

Started by Skull, Oct 15, 2014, 05:07:12 AM

I have been reading a lot of complaints about that the game is to long ,what do you think?

Hell yeah 20+ hours is the way to go . please give me more !
27 (79.4%)
Could have been a little  bit shorter, draged on to long
7 (20.6%)
I like my games short like most games of today 4-6 hours action packed
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author
What do you think about the lenght of the campaign ? (Read 2,823 times)

Skull

After finising the campaign last night . I was reflecting back on the experience
and journey i took with Amanda . And i was so amazed by it all, for me this is the best
Alien game i have afer played  i was sad it had to end. But i was glad it carried on for the time
It did !

Kimarhi

The campaign length was one of the better parts.  Had you had to snail crawl through all of it then it would've been kind of a drag but once you figure out just walking around is as effective as creeping around and hiding the game gets pretty easy and flows much better.

Took me back to the old PC FPS which usually clocked in the high teens to complete and by the time you were done you felt like you got your money's worth, plus it had more impressive set pieces than any game in recent memory. 

Corporal Hicks

I didn't want it to end. I was really enjoying the experiences and stories.

Xhan

Xhan

ambivalent.

Most of the "length" is from the game's logistical model. If you hide, you don't use your bits but the Alien is more likely to find you.

If you use your bits, you progress an exponential amount faster, but then you run the risk of teh Aliems wrecking your shit later on through overuse amping up the statemachine.

I've played twice, neither on anything other than hard, but everyone I've talked to who had played medium or easy have pretty much finished within 10 hours by hiding or about 7-8 hours by using gear. a 60% drop in time spent is a pretty big deal, though the same would have been said of Halo's legendary mode.

Also the length is given by essentially using every story-theme the universe has presented... again, so after Marlowe you're pretty much playing a variation on a theme within an already given theme.

The game is atmospheric and fun enough to justify the contextual padding, but it's still pretty clearly padding, especially when shown against the DLC and Survival.

I predicted that people would overhype this simply based on FINALLY getting a non shitty Alien game from the current vendor, and I think >most< of the hype is deserved, it's still kinda fitting that line, honestly the replay value for anyone other than a rabid fan is low.

So whilst people here would hazard ARMARGAR I WIL PLAY FOR AL TEH TIMES EVERY TIME 4EVARS, I'm pretty sure in average gaming circles this game will simply be a super polished mobile monster closet you play once and move on, and maybe come back to every chunk of years if nostalgia and time permit.

shakermakerman

Got to say as much as I enjoyed the game I did kind of drag and felt like it was dangling the carrot in the final third of the game. I felt like I was getting some where then boom something else cropped up . I dont think I could replay this any time soon but that's not to say I didnt enjoy it because I loved it.

Dowly

Generally, I like long games. With Alien Isolation though, the campaign could have been shorter, especially the mid-game.

"Guess what you get to do next, Amanda??"
"Start yet another generator...?"
"That's right! Isn't that exciting!!!??"
"K-kill.... me..."

Taxemic

Compared to other games that include multiplayer I think it's a decent length, expecially for the money. A good meal out for two would cost more and you're only gonna sh!t that out the next day. That's how I justify the price of games vs the amount of enjoyment I'll get from them anyway. It was just right I think.

stroggificated

I'm so happy that this game is not another lazy "10 hours demo". The length of over 20+ is perfect. Like in the old days  ;)
Of course, you can play on easy mode and rush through it with intense use of gear and firepower, but you will miss out something.

robbritton

I was happy with it being an arduous long old time, as it ought to be given the context. The backtracking didn't feel forced, but logical to the environment. It's the blurry line that causes the problem - at what stage should this be more 'actually trapped in this station' or 'trapped with game logic'? I was happy to feel frustrated, as it felt as though that was what Amanda would be feeling too - my emotional response was never at odds to the protagonists. I don't know if that makes for great gaminess, though, and yeah - it's not going to be a game you'll play over and over. Neither is it one you'd never come back to, though.

Blah. I don't know, I was good with the length!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Dowly on Oct 15, 2014, 09:58:46 AM"Guess what you get to do next, Amanda??"
"Start yet another generator...?"
"That's right! Isn't that exciting!!!??"
"K-kill.... me..."

:laugh:

I think I'm only about halfway through at the moment, but should that turn out to be the case, I think it's a decent length. I hate the tendency for games today to be stupidly short, but obviously with Isolation the gameplay is inherently fairly repetitive. So I think they probably got the balance between those two about right.

Cal427eb

While, I usually prefer my games to be longer, there were some sections in the game that just seemed to drag on forever. Mostly the parts regarding Working Joe's.

Le Celticant

I finished it first on Hard difficulty just to play the game the way it was meant?
And then I decided to do it in easy to actually get all the little details of the campaign.

I'm going to be honest, you can divide as Xhan said by 3 the time it takes you despite the fact you're wandering around searching for things you could have missed the first time.
It's also almost impossible to die by the alien in easy.

I also support what Xhan said about replay, I thought it was an "okay" game.
It's not a bad game, it's just I see absolutely NO replay value at all.
I'm done with this game, it was fun but there aren't much to explore and discover.

Xenoscream

Length wise it was absolutely fine, in terms of hours. In terms of engaging hours it had a couple of drawn out sections, for example before getting to the core and having to go through areas full of Joes - felt like padding. Overall it's totally forgivable though.

They would have really needed to focus more on the story & characters to keep it engaging for longer.

Hudson

How many hours on average was Colonial Marines? Because I thought that game dragged.

Cal427eb

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 15, 2014, 03:32:16 PM
How many hours on average was Colonial Marines? Because I thought that game dragged.
Took me 4 hours.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed