Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 74,062 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2018, 08:02:47 PM
I'm not in favour of axing anything.

A respectable position.  Would you be a proponent of continuing where A:R left off or is that a dead end?

The Old One

The Old One

Resurrection's "universe" itself is a Dead end IMO.

In stories and aesthetic; Alien, Aliens, Alien³ and Isolation- would be the style the universe returns to regardless.

Whether it's 2250 or 2400 is irrelevant,
I believe not-that AR should undergo a "retcon" but that it wouldn't really matter either way. 

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 09, 2018, 08:49:15 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2018, 08:02:47 PM
I'm not in favour of axing anything.

A respectable position.  Would you be a proponent of continuing where A:R left off or is that a dead end?

I personally would like it, but in terms of attracting an audience - yes it's a dead end.

Voodoo Magic

I wish this franchise didn't feel so painted in the corner as of late.  It's hard to know where to go with it to be honest, kind of how I feel with The Walking Dead. How to tread new ground and keep it fresh, without fundamentally changing what makes an Alien movie an Alien movie.

Perfect-Organism

There must be a way to break this log-jam.  I'm inclined to let go of the idea of canon, and just let this all become a series of "What if?" tales.  There is justification for this.  The first film set up a spectacular mystery of the unknown.  One of the most appealing aspects was that the Alien was unknown.  So much was left to the imagination in terms of filling in the blanks about where the alien came from, how it got there, what it was doing, etc.  That is where the essence of bewilderment stems from, and in 1979 there could have been any one of a million valid answers to these questions.

Personally, I think Dark Horse is on the right track.  They are showing, what if the story took a different direction at a certain nexus point.  This isn't meant to invalidate any of the different sequels to Aliens, but rather to show how the story could have gone on a different tangent.  The same could apply to the films.  A sequel post-Aliens could take things in a different tangent without invalidating what went before.  Maybe 20 years from now, someone else will do a different take that doesn't feature Hicks, Ripley or any of the other survivors but takes a different path.  Likewise, this cold work in the other time direction.  Ridley Scott's films could be set aside for a more bizarre Alien origin story based on actual elephant-nosed people.  That would be interesting to many people.

In this way, new films recognize that it is all just fiction and pose the answer that, this is what could have happened, rather than saying that this is what definitely happened.  This way, Alien 3 remains a valid tale of what could have happened, and other tales could be equally valid but different.  If any new take turns out to be an audience hit, then maybe it will merit a sequel.  Just at this point, I am all for seeing different spins as sequels or prequels to the two core films Alien, and Aliens.  I would even be open to a comic that completely sidesteps Aliens as if it never happened.  Why not?  It's just a different approach to resolving a fictitious mystery.

SM

Sounds pretty messy.

If you're investing tens - or hundreds - of millions of dollars on a franchise film you want to be able to use the existing capital and build on it.  Reinventing itself each time sounds like something that would cause people to lose interest.

Dark Horse wasn't doing 'what-ifs'.  They just tacitly ended up like that when the films trod on their storylines.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

I believe the right direction is sacrilegious.
You advance in the direction of Prometheus' basic premise.
The lost universal individuals with no clear motivation beyond basic life.
The universe' turns their personal experiences on themselves and others.

The Alien as a mirror to reflect the individual it is birthed from, such as posture, the facial bone structure, attraction.
Explore new characters, new fears.
The insect-esque noises of the original "Big Chap"- use the soundscape to obscure the lines between the Alien,
the soundtrack and the location noise.

Capitalist exploitation versus Communist exploitation, the Alien in the centre.
Religious restriction, forced to birth a monster.

-

Elizabeth Shaw undergoes an abortion as a devout religious person and it isn't even touched upon.
Witnessing everything she thought she knew revealed to be lies.

Inspiration taken from not alone the Alien franchise, but the nature of horror in Silent Hill;
Traumatic events reflected in reality, impossible space inside the structures of the "SJ" race and the hive infection;
strange horrific shapes- articulation of the creature and it's brethren that would break and bend normal bones.

An excellent writer should have free reign to essentially make the Alien about anything.
If I can think of this, I know someone can do better with real talent.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 10, 2018, 04:28:30 AM
Indeed.

I believe the right direction is sacrilegious.
You advance in the direction of Prometheus' basic premise.
The lost universal individuals with no clear motivation beyond basic life.
The universe' turns their personal experiences on themselves and others.

The Alien as a mirror to reflect the individual it is birthed from, such as posture, the facial bone structure, attraction.
Explore new characters, new fears.
The insect-esque noises of the original "Big Chap"- use the soundscape to obscure the lines between the Alien,
the soundtrack and the location noise.

Capitalist exploitation versus Communist exploitation, the Alien in the centre.
Religious restriction, forced to birth a monster.

-

Elizabeth Shaw undergoes an abortion as a devout religious person and it isn't even touched upon.
Witnessing everything she thought she knew revealed to be lies.

Inspiration taken from not alone the Alien franchise, but the nature of horror in Silent Hill;
Traumatic events reflected in reality, impossible space inside the structures of the "SJ" race and the hive infection;
strange horrific shapes- articulation of the creature and it's brethren that would break and bend normal bones.

An excellent writer should have free reign to essentially make the Alien about anything.
If I can think of this, I know someone can do better with real talent.

Disney Executive:  "Ooookay... sounds interesting... but for real this time.  How do we relaunch the franchise?  Think "Aliens", but a whole new trilogy!"

;D

The Old One

The Old One

If I was in that position? Yeah, I'd advertise as if I intended to do "Aliens 2" then pull the rug out from under the f**kers.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 10, 2018, 01:10:40 PM
If I was in that position? Yeah, I'd advertise as if I intended to do "Aliens 2" then pull the rug out from under the f**kers.

Haha, they'll never see it coming.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 10, 2018, 01:10:40 PM

You're this passionate that you are will to call Aliens fans fans f**kers?   :o  ok then..

SM

Gotta maintain that edge...

Considering how popular Aliens is - a trilogy like that could also be exceedingly popular.

Perfect-Organism

Good point.  We wouldn't want that to happen..

The Old One

The Old One

I referred to the hypothetical Disney executive.
An "Aliens" Trilogy isn't what I would want but it's down to execution.

Popular ≠ High quality, regardless.

SiL

If you pulled the rug out from under the "f**kers" paying the bills they'd fire you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed